Where to get a 3G Portable WiFi router ?

rajshah

Skilled
Need something that takes a 3g sim and is pocketable.
I am asking for the ones like Huawei E5 and the new Tata Photon+ Portable.

Tata is tied to it's service. Flexibility would be better once 3g starts.

iPhone 4 Facetime calls everywhere :p

Bump. No replies ? No body wants Facetime calls / wifi access everywhere ? While still keeping your current cell number and not carrying 2 phones ?

^ I did that, the links that come up are all mostly bogus. Nothing solid.

Any way, now looking at other options, like buying a cheap WiFi phone that can also act as a WiFi hotspot.

I think it would cost almost the same, and I would get a phone too !

I read on my other post that Joikuspot for S60 Nokia phones does it.

Any suggestions ?

Joikuspot on S60 is certainly doable but it eats up battery very fast.I used to do that on my N78. Works but the phone gets very hot and battery runs out quickly. Be sure to try it out before you buy.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Btw there used to be an app for internet sharing on iphone via bluetooth. Not sure if it's still around. Forgot the name of the app. If it works you can share internet from S60 via bluetooth which wouldn't eat up the battery so fast.

Name was ibluever IIRC

arvnd said:
Joikuspot on S60 is certainly doable but it eats up battery very fast.I used to do that on my N78. Works but the phone gets very hot and battery runs out quickly. Be sure to try it out before you buy.

Btw there used to be an app for internet sharing on iphone via bluetooth. Not sure if it's still around. Forgot the name of the app. If it works you can share internet from S60 via bluetooth which wouldn't eat up the battery so fast.

Name was ibluever IIRC
You are correct. It's iBluever. But not exactly what I am looking for.

I want the 3g on some other device and want to connect to it through my iPhone's wifi. Basically I want to run the iPhone on WiFi rather than 3g. Reasons -

1. Facetime

2. Better battery life for the iPhone.

^ No it does't have the SIM slot, so total cost will come to anyway 5.5-6k incl the modem.

Better get the Huawei E585 itself :)

Anish said:
What your essentially looking for is a "MiFi" router. Novatel wireless has one, but I don't know if it works in India.

The Huawei E585 should do the trick!

MiFi®

MiFi it is ! And is the Huawei E585 available in India ? Any of our TE dealers have it ?

Old thread, FYI, I am looking to get the Vodafone MiFi R201 device now that I got the 3G working and it looks good to me :D

MRP is Rs. 5500/- and the Vodafone store guy said it will only be available after official 3G launch, but I've asked to see if he can get one for me this weekend.

Thanks Vishal, I checked with the VF store too. Same story, available after official 3g launch.

But is it locked to vodafone like they do in other countries ?

Back