Video Videocon D2H instead of Tata Sky HD? Please help me decide

R0H!T

Adept
I am using Tata Sky HD since a year. My subscription is up for renewal in 10 days. I am using Mega HD pack (all channels pack which cost me around 5.5k last year). I am satisfied with the picture quality/clarity, sound quality and overall service. I also like the UI. But I am not satisfied with the number of HD channels and overall channel count offered by Tata Sky. Moreover, their annual pack has increased to ~6.4k. And from what I have read in forums, they won't be able to increase channel count in near future due to delay is satelite launch.

So following points have made me look for alternative:
- not all HD channels available.
- not aggressive in adding new channels overall (SD/HD).
- very high subscription charges compared to total number of channels offered.

After a bit of researching, I have narrowed down to Videocon D2H as the possible alternative. Following is the list of cons that I have read so far -
- HD channels don't have 5.1. This is not a drawback for me as I use TV's built in speakers and have no plans to buy home theatre soon.
- UI not good, relatively slow when changing channels, their logo (right bottom corner on channels) is bigger and uglier compared to Tata Sky
- CC and overall service is not as good as Tata Sky

So I want to know from current users of Videocon D2H HD, if point 2 and 3 mentioned above that big a deal? I don't care if the UI is boring as long as it works well and changing channels don't take much time. Also I hope logo is not that bad.
Also, I want to know how is the quality of HD channels and SD channels? I have Samsung 51" plasma and currently I am satisfied with the PQ of Tata Sky.
Any other points about Videocon D2H that I should keep in mind?

About Tata Sky, what is the probability that they will add most of the missing HD channels in near future? Any expected timeline? Coz if they do so, I would be happy to continue with Tata Sky too.

And one last thing, if I decide to go for Videocon D2H, can I keep the existing cable that connects the dish in terrace to STB in drawing room, and just replace the dish and STB? or the cable will be different too? Because that will be PITA

TIA

I can comment on the Tata Sky related questions.

I have been using their service for more than 5 years now, and one thing I can say is that if you are looking for channel count, then these guys are definitely not the ones that you should be considering. They usually have the most popular channels from each set, and aren't really bothered about coverage in terms of the number of channels. No amount of requests / petitions / complaints would do any good, simply because they are short on transponder space. Given this scenario, I would actually give them some credit for adding as many channels as they did in the last one year as compared to what they added the 4 years prior to that.

Reg. the cable, my guess is if they don't ask for it, just don't give it. When I relocated, I was told I could either give them the dish and cable and request a fresh installation at the new location, or I could simply carry the stuff along and get the installation done. The latter was told to be a quicker option as the materials would already be available with me. I did that. However, when I called them up for installation, they used my previous cable AND the standard 50 meter cable they give with every installation, which was really helpful as my dish is now quite far away from the TV. So my understanding is that the cable is ours and they aren't as bothered about it as they are for the dish.

Reg. the cable, my guess is if they don't ask for it, just don't give it. When I relocated, I was told I could either give them the dish and cable and request a fresh installation at the new location, or I could simply carry the stuff along and get the installation done. The latter was told to be a quicker option as the materials would already be available with me. I did that. However, when I called them up for installation, they used my previous cable AND the standard 50 meter cable they give with every installation, which was really helpful as my dish is now quite far away from the TV. So my understanding is that the cable is ours and they aren't as bothered about it as they are for the dish.

Thanks for the quick reply agantuk!
But by keeping the existing cable I meant do I need to do installation again or keep existing cable installation and just disconnect my dish and STB and replace it with Videocon's dish and STB? coz again installing the cable will be time consuming as it moves through 3 rooms to reach drawing room :p

Oh you should be able to retain what you already have. I am not aware of the D2H guy's installation capabilities - Tata Sky does score high in that department - but it should be simple for them to just replace the dish and STB, and if they are reluctant, they should atleast be able to get the work done without disturbing the internal wiring that you have in place

@Sumit05

Thanks for reply.
Good to know you are happy since 2 years. Can you let me know about the UI? how easy to use and fast is it? And what about the time taken to switch between channels? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Overall i found Tatasky to be better in terms of HD channels but for SD D2H is better. Tatasky at least mine takes less time in channel skipping than my brothers D2H but he pays less for the service and not to mention he got the setup box almost free via some offer where as my HD box was bought for about 6-7K :(

Hi Rohit,

Even I have the same TV as yours and the same set of dilemma!

So what did you finally do last year? Videocon D2H HD?

How has your experience been?!

Videocon D2H HD.

PQ Check.
SQ Check.
No of HD Channels Check.
VFM Check.

Using it for a few months now. You can't go wrong with it.

I have been using videocon hd for last 2 years. Last month got a second videocon connection. I am satisfied with the service. UI lags a bit, but it's not a big deal. Logo is very transparent and you will hardly notice it.

Who said D2H does not give 5.1 in HD channels ? It is there over OFC and not HDMI thats the only difference.

That too if you take the DVR, its over HDMI

In my experience D2H UI lags a bit more than other providers, but nothing that would lead to frustration. The picture quality seems to be a bit better especially for SD channels on bigger monitors [personal view though].

Anyway if you are going with D2H and can wait a bit, get the white one that is being released now. Seems to be having better hardware and should have better performance overall. It is not officially released [other than just showing the pic in ads during IPL], but I heard it is available in metros now [also in some online stores].

Ref:- indiamatic & dreamdth.

Back