Using more than 4GB memory with a 32 bit Windows.

PoBoy

Skilled
I recently upgraded to a 8GB memory system. I prefer to boot from memory. Having 8GB memory did not help with a 32 bit Windows - I had to use 64 bit Win. Then I found this :

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/make-windows-7-and-vista-32-bit-x86-support-more-than-4gb-memory/

http://wj32.org/wp/

Seems to work with 32bit Win7. See pic - I'm booting a 1.6 GB vhd from memory :

https://sites.google.com/site/gbraosite/images1/w732_8GB 2014-01-19_181510.jpg

Everything works OK - the only problem is the Intel HD Graphics drivers ! Without that it's not really useable. Don't want to use a Gcard. Wish Intel would make display drivers compatible with the above ( AMD & nVidia drivers work OK it seems ).

@harshilsharma63 , I agree with you on backward compatibility; but my point is not related to backward compatibility. If I were to install a 64bit OS and have software running in *32bit, what is the point in having a 64bit installation and having more than 4GB of RAM.

Minus well 32bit does a better job!

Basic two softwares that come to my mind are, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome.
Running and downloading directly of their installer aint going to get 64bit support. As for Mozy, if I install the Nightly build; it support 64bit installations. Google Chrome (or Chromium) still has only 32bit support on a 64bit OS, but the case is different on a Linux System.

If one were to ask what is the major difference in a 32bit and a 64bit, I am noob at answering that, so other member feedback appreciated.

My question was:
please mention some "basic software" which explicitly require to be 64 bit and ren't available in native 64 bit

Firefox and Chrome don't need to be natively 64 bit applications. Also, having >4 GB addressable ram will enable you to run more 32 bit applications simultaneously.

What is the problem with just upgrading to a 64-bit OS? Don't be a lazy bum!

The installation size increases a lot, so I have to use a larger vhd - this has to be read and loaded into ram first so increased boot up time. Plus it requires signed drivers - firadisk is not. etc etc

Although I didn't read that link, I can tell from my experience that I never faced any issue with Intel (or any other manufacturer's) 64 bit drivers neither with Windows 7 nor with Windows 8 even with overclocked IGP.

^ Intel HD Graphics drivers, if installed, don't work with the above hack. That's all. ATI & nVidia drivers work OK.

Thanks man, you could not have posted it at a more appropriate time, i am having some trouble running a 32bit software on 64bit Win7. hope this works.

Seems there are issues with Intel drivers.
Ibq3d.jpg

Why would you go and install a hack and then complain that the drivers aren't working ?
First of all, be on 32 bit or on 64 bit. Don't mod things and then expect everything to work perfectly. If you want everything to work properly, stay away from hacks.

I have installed Windows 7 x64 on my home machine, since 4 years and have not seen any application / driver or any compatibility issue. It works just as if its a good ol 32 bit OS.
64 bit just ensure you can run more programs efficiently (this is in respect to way low level programming which never is visible to the end user)
I did not have any specific reason to go 64 bit but just be future proof.

I read that link and it seems that it is enabling PAE on the machine, PAE is the mechanism to enable 36 bit lines and extending the address range. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366796(v=vs.85).aspx .Based on what I know; PAE is useful for applications if only they are PAE aware(they have to use specific API for that), it was there primarily for server class applications and typical apps never use that API. What I think though is despite application not utilizing it; it may still benefit the kernel memory pools and system cache in general (but I can not be so sure on this ).

>>If I were to install a 64bit OS and have software running in *32bit, what is the point in having a 64bit installation and having more than 4GB of RAM.
Think about disk paging which takes a lot of time; with big RAM available; there will be less paging and hence less disk access; means higher system response.

I am using x64 windows 7 for past 3 years; and it is just great; I wonder what will happen to the "hack" (patched exe) if later some update brings the new ntos****.exe. Either you'll end up patching the file again(assuming its possible), or you will be back to original limit. I think given a choice; I would still use a x64 system instead on doing such hacks.

Its good for a blog; to showcase; but not for day to day use.(But this is just IMHO)

64 bit OS is backward compatible with 32 bit applications. BTW, please mention some "basic software" which explicitly require to be 32 bit and ren't available in native 64 bit.
I'll give you an example,

Avira Antivirus has a HIPS component called "Avira Proactiv", which is not available in 64bit os(7/8.1) due to kernel patching restrictions
also the same case with Comodo Firewall,
effectively any user using any antivirus and firewall in windows 64bit are covered a little less than their 32bit counterparts.

its just one example, but there are many "compatibility" issues like these.

Back