PC Peripherals UPS Battery's 'Initial Current'?

rshri

Adept
My Microtek Heritage+ 600 UPS's batteries went kaput yesterday so I got the batteries replaced. However, instead of calling Microtek for replacement batteries, I went to a batteries shop and got Exide batteries installed in it (I did this to save on Rs 250/- visiting charges of Microtek engineer, price of batteries was same). While batteries were being installed, I noticed few changes in the new Exide battery as compared to old Microtek battery.
Microtek battery was 7.2AH and Exide is 7AH
Microtek battery had 2.8 'Initial Current' value whereas Exide has 1.4.
What does this all mean? Was Microtek battery better than Exide?

seems like exide is better. its an sealed battery right? high initial charging current will lead to hotter battery, and if its not regulated properly, it will lead to battery failure. slow charging is good. it will take longer to charge fully, but will give better life if you do not discharge battery completely.

seems like exide is better. its an sealed battery right? high initial charging current will lead to hotter battery, and if its not regulated properly, it will lead to battery failure. slow charging is good. it will take longer to charge fully, but will give better life if you do not discharge battery completely.
Yes, its a sealed battery. So you are implying that 'Initial Current' is the strength of current being used to continuously charge the battery. Lower value then works for me because power cuts in my area are not that frequent and there is plenty of time for battery to charge.
What does AH mean?

Initial current is the current the battery draws immediately after a charger is connected, otherwise known as startup current.

Continuous charge current is usually much lower value than initial current. For batteries it's a complex equation and depends on the charge state of the battery and charging voltage (in the case of voltage-charging batteries like lead-acid).

Almost all electrical goods, devices and circuits require much higher startup currents than in steady state.

Lower starting current means less strain on charging circuits. The Exide battery is a better battery than the Microtek original.

Back