Ubuntu 7.10- Cannot enable the Desktop effect

src2206

Adept
Hello

I have installed Edubuntu 7.10 (thank you ShipIt for providing it), but I can not enable desktop Effects using System> Preferences> Appearance> Visual Effects. I get the following error messages as posted in the Screen Shots. I tried both Normal and Extra options, none of the two worked and gave the same error message as follows.

screenshotappearanceprews8.png

screenshotgnomeappearanri0.png

I tried to solve this problem by installing Fusion Icon, Emerald Theme Manager and GL Desktop. But I am unable to solve this problem. When I try to launch Fusion Icon nothing happens though it is installed like the other two mentioned above.

My system specs are as follows:

Intel C2D E4300 processor (1.8 GHz), 3 GB DDR2 667 MHz RAM with X3000 INTEL On Board Graphics.

Could someone help me please? :confused: :(

Thank you.

Press ALT+F2 and type compiz --replace and post the error it shows :) Also install Compiz config Settings manager for additional plugins :) Do the following in Terminal

Code:
sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

since u are using intel onboard graphics u need to install intel linux graphics drivers. Google for more details. After installation of drivers reboot ur machine and type "glxinfo |grep direct" command in the terminal. The output should be similar to "Direct Rendering: Yes". This means that ur 3D stuff is working. Then u shd be able to enable the desktop effects.

Check these links for intel linux drivers:

download link:

Welcome to the Linux Graphics Driver from Intel site | Graphics

installation info:

montylee said:
since u are using intel onboard graphics u need to install intel linux graphics drivers. Google for more details. After installation of drivers reboot ur machine and type "glxinfo |grep direct" command in the terminal. The output should be similar to "Direct Rendering: Yes". This means that ur 3D stuff is working. Then u shd be able to enable the desktop effects.

Check these links for intel linux drivers:

download link:

installation info:

Dark Star said:
Press ALT+F2 and type compiz --replace and post the error it shows :) Also install Compiz config Settings manager for additional plugins :) Do the following in Terminal

Code:
sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

Do these two and post the out put :D

Nah , its a simple workaround which worked for me using the same card

Code:
SKIP_CHECKS=yes compiz

Type this in the terminal , it will work 100% , you are using a blacklisted graphics accelerator and this will skip the checking part

Also paste output of "cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf|grep Driver" . If it doesnt show vesa as enabled then skipping check as suggested in above post would help . Also post output of "glxinfo|grep direct" . Installing compiz-settings-manager wont help , it is just used to configure working compiz setup .

To have it start w/linux at start up do the following, start up compiz as suggested ("compiz --replace" and if needed also "emerald --replace")

Open up "Sessions"

In Ubuntu "System>Preferences>Sessions"

Close down all unwanted progams ... and then go to Session options tab.

Select "Remember currently running applications".... and then you should find that Compiz will start with your Distro.

Thanks everybody. I hope that I can post all the logs and the result of the other instructions by today evening. :)
so don't desert me yet :D

He is using a blacklisted PCI:ID , so installing any drivers wont help him , it would fail the check everytime

montylee said:
This is only a problem with compiz fusion i think. I have used Beryl and Compiz on G965 without any problems.

I am using G965 too :( Anyway i am trying to go through all the steps pointed earlier, and I shall post the feedback as promised. In the meantime I tried the above command regarding SKIP_CHECK and it seems to be working without any problem, except the Terminal Window remains open, and closing that makes things go haywire. But I could not customize Compiz. Fusion Icon still did not work. Could any one please tell me how to customize Compiz and its effects?

Post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf output ;) ALso do this
Code:
sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-glx xserver-xor-video-intel
and post the xorg file :)

Back