Linux Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Discussion Thread

delhiboy1000 said:
Thanks Viralbug: i have win xp installed on this laptop. if i install ubuntu on the USB HDD, will Grub modify the windows bootloader in any way?

Basically, what i want is to boot this laptop into ubuntu whenever I want without leaving any trace of it otherwise..

As I said, install Grub on the USB hdd.

Just to be clear, XP is installed on the internal hdd of your laptop right?

Installing grub on USB hdd will not modify your Windows bootloader. So when you start your laptop, it will work as normal.

When you connect the USB hdd and boot it as first device in BIOS, it will boot into Grub. :)

Wish I had more time to play around. :( As of now I've just installed it and enjoying the fresh look for the past few days. :D

Will try to customize stuff when I get time.

more and more woes with ubuntu:
empathy/pidgin doesn't seem to connect to hotmail or yahoo.
In one of the threads in the ubuntu forum I learnt that deleting the keyrings and setting the password to blank will help me escape the password pop up for the social broadcaster and so I did the same,
now a new problem, every time I refresh the timeline the "Broadcast Accounts" (preferences) appears not one but 3 and this keeps pilling up as the update continues every 10 minutes, ITS REALLY IRRITATING.Every time I refresh the timeline 3 windows appear and I have to close all of them .

How do I change the length of the top panel? :S

One good thing about Cairo dock is it can use OpenGL to use GPU instead of using up CPU memory. :D

One more thing, what codecs are you guys using? I'm having problems with HD movies.
I forgot what I was using in Karmic. :ashamed:

I have installed restricted package, x264 and ffmpeg. But HD movies stutter while playing.

hi!

i downloaded the ubuntu lucid lynx 32 bit version from their website directly after i could no longer order any of their cds-ordered too many!

i tried installing it on my laptop but it fails to install on any of the modes even after disabling ACPI in my laptop from the bios. it also doesn't run as a live cd - it just freezes at the installation window. even on selecting ACPI override mode from the installation options it doesn't work.

the same dvd which i burnt the iso onto is working on my desktop though.

help anyone?

sunny27 said:
hi!

i downloaded the ubuntu lucid lynx 32 bit version from their website directly after i could no longer order any of their cds-ordered too many!

i tried installing it on my laptop but it fails to install on any of the modes even after disabling ACPI in my laptop from the bios. it also doesn't run as a live cd - it just freezes at the installation window. even on selecting ACPI override mode from the installation options it doesn't work.

the same dvd which i burnt the iso onto is working on my desktop though.

help anyone?

Hi,

1) First verify if the install disc or image is not corrupted due to a bad download - Go here

2) Select F4. Safe graphics mode may provide better results during LiveCD operation or also try Other boot options:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootParameters

3) If it still does not work, then try another distro like Fedora or OpenSuse

For Wireless, You will need to install drivers. I think

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=128640.0

I installed ubuntu today but I just realized that I can't hibernate cos I didn't create a swap space. I badly need the hibernate option. How do I make myself a swap space of 4gb?

Back