Linux Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Discussion Thread

well, welcome to the kde krowd (if you're moving from gnome to kde) :D ubuntu+kde is the best combo in my personal opinion, and i KNOW the final 10.04 release is going to simply rock!

madnav said:
anyways, kde over ubuntu (kubuntu) has always been a not so good experience for me..
infact that is why i have hated kde alot...then i realized kde isnt that bad once i tried it with mandriva live.
but that just totally off topic :)

KDE + Ubuntu maynot be best out there but the changes have been a lot promising, just hoping 10.04 shines if not have to continue hoping 10.10 shines :tongue:

vishalrao said:
well, welcome to the kde krowd (if you're moving from gnome to kde) :D ubuntu+kde is the best combo in my personal opinion, and i KNOW the final 10.04 release is going to simply rock!

well no, im nt switching to kde completely..

gnome is still my preference and i have been keeping kde as my 'for a change' option so far over ubuntu.

for mandriva i did prefer kde though..

currently downloading openSuse gnome 11.3 :)

will try installing kde within it after i install it

then you have a mistaken impression of the meaning of "free" ... (or even "libre" for that matter)... have you read the "open source definition" written by bruce perens for starters?

btw i just tried alpha 3 of ubuntu and kubuntu lucid... still clearly alpha quality... gnome is more crashy than kde at the moment... but both are really sweet.

in short (IMHO):

Ubuntu/GNOME = clean and simple.

Kubuntu/KDE = shiny and sophisticated.

both desktops are now highly polished and functional!

Yondaime said:
I don't like the sound of Ubuntu one music store :( doesn't go well with the free libre image

They are running short of funds . I think a few paid services should'nt hurt . Nobody is under any obligation to use it .

Ubuntu one is in itself a partially paid service .

vishalrao said:
Ubuntu/GNOME = clean and simple.

Kubuntu/KDE = shiny and sophisticated.

Only the default window manager in gnome is 'clean and simple' . Try messing with the various other window managers in Ubuntu and with a docklet like cairo sidebars desklets etc etc you got the best looking functional desktop that is also really fast .

I can't afford to take the early mover risk when its my sole OS, and my whole house depends on it :ashamed:

Thank god its an LTS. Will wait till the bugs are ironed out :p

Looks like FSpot is going to replace GIMP and a new video editing software is likely to be introduced .

The games that are going to be featured in Lynx are

Aisleriot (solitaire variant)
GBrainy (love it)
Mahjongg
Mines
Sudoku
Tetris

Also there are plans to provide easy access to "Farmville" facebook game

Thanks.

Came across this link via Ubuntu Forums: Is Ubuntu having an identity crisis?

But let us talk about identity. Popular OSs like Mac OS X, Windows, Ubuntu are instantly recognized because of their unique look. This creates an identity of the OS among the general people. Even many of my friends who do not use Ubuntu knows of its brownish looks. Although many hated it and called it ugly, Ubuntu is instantly recognized due to brownish looks. However, by copying a Mac, Ubuntu has effectively given up this identity. Will this means its image is now reduced to a Mac-look-alike? This is very unfair to an excellent OS.

I hope (and believe) they will sort things out for the final release, I am very much looking forward to 10.04 being the best release (and best distro) so far!

haha as far as im concerned that bug TOO has been resolved for me.... no MS stuff on my home PCs for a while now :D

Back