The History of Murudeshwar

Darshan

Disciple
Well, me and some of my friends had been to Murudeshwar last weekend. And the place is just awesome.... Many might not know the history behind the Temple/Place.
So posting it so that many can know it. Please leave your comments...
PS: All the snaps have been shot by me using my FZ28. & most of the information is taken from Wikipedia :)
Mods i dont know if this is the right section to post this... But Since the Photography thread is in this section and these all are photographs taken by me, i thought of posting this here. If u feel this is not the right section, then please move it to the correct section. Thanks...

story.jpg

Scene 1 - Ravana's mother used to worship Lord Shiva. She used to prepare Shiv lingum from sand on the sea shore and it would get washed away every night.
P1050184.JPG

Scene 1 - Ravana's mother used to worship Lord Shiva. She used to prepare Shiv lingum from sand on the sea shore and it would get washed away every night.
P1050185.JPG

Scene 2 - The Shiva lingum gets washed away. So Ravana worshipped Lord Shiva so as to get a AtmaLinga from Lord Shiva for his mother.
P1050187.JPG

Scene 2 - The Shiva lingum gets washed away. So Ravana worshipped Lord Shiva so as to get a AtmaLinga from Lord Shiva for his mother.
P1050188.JPG

P1050189.JPG

Scene 3 - By penance dedicated to the AtmaLinga, the divine Lingam of Shiva procures invincibility and immortality to the Hindu Gods. Ravana, the Lanka King worshipped Shiva with devotion to attain immortality by obtaining the AtmaLinga
P1050192.JPG

Scene 4 - Narada appraoching Lord Vishnu to Change Ravana's Mind.
P1050193.JPG

Scene 4 - Narada appraoching Lord Vishnu to Change Ravana's Mind.
P1050194.JPG

Scene 5 - Ravana lifting the Kailas Parvat
P1050197.JPG

Scene 5 - Ganesh, Shankar & Parvati atop the Kailas Parvat
P1050198.JPG

Scene 6 - Pleased by his prayers, Lord Shiva appeared before him and asked him what he wanted. By this time Narada had asked Lord Vishnu to change Ravana's mind. As a result of this plot, Ravana asks for Goddess Parvathi, and Lord Shiva offers her to him
P1050200.JPG

Scene 7 - On his way back to Lanka Narada tells Ravana that Lord had not given him the real Parvathi and that the real Parvathi was in Pathala.
P1050203.JPG

Scene 7 - On his way back to Lanka Narada tells Ravana that Lord had not given him the real Parvathi and that the real Parvathi was in Pathala.
P1050204.JPG

P1050205.JPG

Scene 8 - Ravana goes to Pathala and marries a king's daughter, assuming her to be the real Parvathi
P1050206.JPG

Scene 9 - He then returns to Lanka, where his mother asks him for the Linga. Ravana then comes to know of the tricks played on him by Lord Vishnu.
P1050207.JPG

Scene 10 - Ravana prays to Lord Shiva again, begging for his forgiveness
P1050209.JPG

Scene 11 - Ravana even starts cutting his heads for pleasing Lord Shiva.Lord Shiva appears and this time, Ravana requests the AtmaLinga as his boon. Lord Shiva agrees to give him the boon with the condition that it should never be placed on the ground. If the AtmaLinga was ever placed on the ground, all the powers would return to Lord Shiva again. Having obtained his boon, Ravana started back on his journey to Lanka.
P1050211.JPG

Scene 12 - Sage Narada, who came to know of this incident, realised that with the AtmaLinga, Ravana may obtain immortality and create havoc on earth. He approached the Lord Ganesh and requested him to prevent the AtmaLinga from reaching Lanka. Lord Ganesh knew that Ravana was a very devoted person who used to perform prayer ritual in the evening every day without fail. He decided to make use of this fact and came up with a plan to confiscate the AtmaLinga from Ravana.
P1050212.JPG

Scene 12 - Sage Narada, who came to know of this incident, realised that with the AtmaLinga, Ravana may obtain immortality and create havoc on earth. He approached the Lord Ganesh and requested him to prevent the AtmaLinga from reaching Lanka. Lord Ganesh knew that Ravana was a very devoted person who used to perform prayer ritual in the evening every day without fail. He decided to make use of this fact and came up with a plan to confiscate the AtmaLinga from Ravana.
P1050214.JPG

Scene 13 - As Ravana was nearing Gokarna, Lord Vishnu blotted out the sun to give the appearance of dusk. Ravana now had to perform his evening rituals but was worried because with the AtmaLinga in his hands, he would not be able to do his rituals. At this time, Lord Ganesh in the disguise of a Brahmin boy accosted him.Ravana requested him to hold the AtmaLinga until he performed his rituals, and asked him not to place it on the ground. Ganesh struck a deal with him saying that he would call Ravana thrice, and if Ravana did not return within that time, he would place the AtmaLinga on the ground.
P1050215.JPG

Scene 13 - As Ravana was nearing Gokarna, Lord Vishnu blotted out the sun to give the appearance of dusk. Ravana now had to perform his evening rituals but was worried because with the AtmaLinga in his hands, he would not be able to do his rituals. At this time, Lord Ganesh in the disguise of a Brahmin boy accosted him.Ravana requested him to hold the AtmaLinga until he performed his rituals, and asked him not to place it on the ground. Ganesh struck a deal with him saying that he would call Ravana thrice, and if Ravana did not return within that time, he would place the AtmaLinga on the ground.
P1050216.JPG

Scene 14 - As predicted, before Ravana could return after completing his rituals, Lord Ganesh had already placed the AtmaLinga on the ground. Vishnu then removed his illusion and it was daylight again.
P1050218.JPG

Scene 14 - As predicted, before Ravana could return after completing his rituals, Ganesh had already placed the AtmaLinga on the ground. Vishnu then removed his illusion and it was daylight again.
P1050219.JPG

Scene 15 - Ravana hitting Lord Ganesha(in disguise of a brahmin) in a fit of rage.
P1050220.JPG

Scene 15 - Ravana hitting Lord Ganesha(in disguise of a brahmin) in a fit of rage.
P1050221.JPG

Scene 16 - Ravana got really angry that he was tricked and tried to uproot the AtmaLinga and destroy it but could not. In a fit of rage he threw the case covering it to a place called Sajjeshwara, 23 miles away. Then he threw the lid of the case to a placed called Guneshwara (now Gunavanthe)and Dhareshwara, 10-12 miles away. Finally, he threw the cloth covering the AtmaLinga to a placed called Mrideshwara in Kanduka-Giri (Kanduka Hill). Mrideshwara has been renamed to Murudeshwara.
P1050223.JPG

Scene 16 - Ravana got really angry that he was tricked and tried to uproot the AtmaLinga and destroy it but could not. In a fit of rage he threw the case covering it to a place called Sajjeshwara, 23 miles away. Then he threw the lid of the case to a placed called Guneshwara (now Gunavanthe)and Dhareshwara, 10-12 miles away. Finally, he threw the cloth covering the AtmaLinga to a placed called Mrideshwara in Kanduka-Giri (Kanduka Hill). Mrideshwara has been renamed to Murudeshwara.
P1050224.JPG

Scene 17 - Shiva learnt all this from wind god Vayu. He came on earth along with Parvathi and Ganesha and visited all these five places and worshipped the linga. He declared that these would be his Panchakshetras and those who worshipped lingas at those places would be free from all sins and their wishes would be fulfilled and ultimately reach the abode of Shiva.
all%20temples1.JPG

The Shiva Statue in Murudeshwar. Its the Biggest shiva statue in the world :)
shiva.JPG

Awaiting everyone's feedback. :)

Nice pics Darshan.

I have been there recently on new year. Actually me and my friends went to visit Jog Falls and our cab driver suggested to visit this place. Never heard of this place before though. This place is really worth visiting. You will get amazing views from top of the the twenty-storied gopuram.

Adding few more pics:

P1020393.jpg

The twenty-storied gopuram at Murudeshwar temple, considered to be the tallest in the world

P1020215.jpg

P1020216.jpg

P1020244.jpg

salluks said:
huh,
last time i went there, i didn't even go inside, just ate at the veg restaurant outside and left.
Then you simply wasted ur money on the trip, going there and coming back.

I feel sorry for you. :bleh:

Thanks Anish & abbis

Murudeshwar is around 180 km from Mangalore on the National Highway & 220 Kms from Goa...

How to reach here:

Road: 500 km from Bangalore on the Hassan - Mangalore - Udupi - Kundapur route, 470 km from Bangalore on the Shimoga - Kollur route, From Kollur it is 60 kms.

Rail: The Konkan Railways Train plying on the Mangalore - Goa - Mumbai route makes a stop at Murudeshwar and other express trains too.

Air: The nearest airports are Mangalore (180kms) and Goa (220kms).

Nearby destinations: Idagunji (20kms), Gokarna (70kms), Banavasi (145kms), Kollur (65kms), Jog Falls (90kms), Udupi (100kms), Dharmastala (230kms), Subramanya (300kms), Sringeri (180kms) and Horanadu (240kms).

SharekhaN said:
The same story is said in Gokarna. But there has been more money spent in Murudeshwar.

Actually, Gokarna is the place where Lord Ganesh placed the Atmalinga on the ground, which Ravan then tried to uproot.

This is what i feel.
But yes lots of money has been spent in Murudeshwar by a businessman and philanthropist Mr R N Shetty.

Back