Tariff war on 3G, before launch of 4G

swatkats

Skilled
Before the bruises of an expensive spectrum auction on company balance sheets have healed, Idea Cellular on Thursday triggered a tariff war by slashing 3G rates by 40 per cent to lure 2G users ahead of the launch of 4G services.

Idea's 3G rate, offered via SMS, is Rs 97 per gigabyte as compared with the average market rate of Rs 250/1 GB. The competitors are likely to follow suit—Vodafone is likely to slash 3G rate to Rs 150/1 GB from Rs 250 in Delhi while Bharti Airtel may lower it to Rs 158 in Mumbai.

The tariff war has increased the pressure on voice revenues of all major telecom companies who are yet to overcome the blow of an expensive spectrum auction. Telecom companies bought airwaves worth Rs 1.06 lakh crore at the auction which has to be paid in phases.

The 3G tariff war is also seen as a move to lure subscribers before the 4G services are launched. Reliance Jio and Bharti Airtel is already preparing to launch 4G services in some metros soon, which might lead to exodus of 2G and 3G customers.

Analysts frowned at Idea's offer saying the tariff cut will only add on to its financial woes. After buying airwaves worth Rs 30,000 crore at the March auction, Idea's debt burden has increased to Rs 42,000 crore taking its net debt to Ebitda ratio to 3.5, which is pretty high by any industry standard.

Slashing the data package rate could hit revenue growth as usage may not increase proportionately.

Source: http://www.btvin.com/industry/read/1203/what-an-idea-sirji--tariff-war-on-3g-before-launch-of-4g

----------------------

Any one got such nice 3G offers?

Until last 2 months they used to offer 500mb, 30days 3G data for 70 odd rupees on Idea, but now they the same thing is for 150. I don't find anywhere 3G packs getting cheap but surely it will after August.

Idea's always been offering really good prices on 3G from some time. I've got 4GB for 451, 2GB for 347, 1GB night only for 75. Vodafone is shit. In the three years i was using then not one good offer. The only offer they had was 3GB for 450 per month for two months. After that they wanted 651 i think.

I got an offer from Vodafone for Rs.147 for 1GB here with validity of 30 days in Bangalore. This offer is for first three recharges.

I just recharged 1GB Airtel 3G for Rs. 149, valid for 28 days. 1GB used to be Rs. 250 for 30 days.

<brags>
I bought a package for Rs 650 during last Deepawali, that gives 1GB 3G Data each month for 1 Year. Thats about Rs55/month.
Another package for Rs 198, that makes all calls @30p/min loc/std for 1 year.
GSM can never beat CDMA when i comes to tariff.
</brags>

I am getting these so called cheap 3G offers from Idea

292 - 2GB 3G 15days.
454- 3GB 3G 28days.

So should I spend 500 rupees a month for 3G data? Meh.

Just an update. I use Voda Delhi number. I haven't got any offer yet. I just did a 500MB 3G for 147rs. :/

bsnl have reduced from 10 days to 7 days on 68stv datapack
Really?
check it
uploadfromtaptalk1433330789650.jpg

Last edited:
Back