Video Suggestions for 55" LED 3D 1080p TV - Budget 1.4L

Rickyk

Skilled
Hi guys.
Want to buy a 55" LED 3DTV Full HD TV. Would appreciate any feedback.
Two models I shortlisted are Samsung 6400 3D (Rs.1.3L) & Sony Bravia W950B (Rs.1.34L). Went and saw both TV at a store. They seem okay - nothing exceptional which is why I'm posting here for advice.

Features I'm looking for are -
Full HD (not interested in 4k)
High Quality display with good contrast and black levels
3D support
Good warranty/support

Don't need a "SMART" TV or Wifi support but unfortunately they all seem to have these (completely useless for me personally) features in this price range.

My own pros and cons with the two TV's are that the Sony has very nice colors but somewhat lacking black levels (possibly 'cos it actually uses an LG-IPS panel) under dark room conditions. What I don't like about the Samsung is that it uses Active 3D glasses rather than passive and I do plan on watching a lot of 3D content (Blu-rays mostly).

Any other recommendations you guys have? If not, which of the two (Samsung/Sony) would be a better idea and why.

Thanks in advance...

Any reason you not looking at a Plasma. You could get a 64" Plasma in that kinda budget or a 51" in half that amount.

Any reason you not looking at a Plasma.

Firstly, thanks for replying guys.
@rdst_1.
I currently have a 40" Samsung Plasma. Thing with the Plasma is - it has great blacks etc. and in the Winters it serves a dual function as my "Room Heater" (it gets blazingly hot) but in summers, the heat is so much I don't like using it. It also guzzles power. Besides, aren't most manufacturers getting out of Plasmas? That's what I heard a while back. Not sure if its true though. Is there a Plasma you can recommend at 55"? If so, let me know which one.

Secondly my view distance is approx 6.5 feet. I would have expected a 64" to be too large for this view distance?

My friend recently bought the following TV. Blown away by the picture quality.
http://www.flipkart.com/lg-55lb750t...=b_5&ref=9fd8f97e-8d1a-4608-b222-35ab84456b95
Check it out in the store if you get a chance.

By a very strange coincidence - I HAVE seen this TV in a store. Its on sale for 50% off list price at Rs.99,999/- (list 1.5L). BTW, this is a "store only" offer price and you wont find it online. I hope your friend didn't pay 1.2L for it off FK. ;)

Unfortunately - I didn't like the colors of the LG 55LB750T. The Bravia W950B was right next to it and completely blew it out of the water IMO. Ditto for the sound quality.

Before anyone asks - I made SURE all sets I viewed were with "Standard" factory default settings as stores tend to set them to "Vibrant" mode to make them more "attractive" to customers.

One thing I have discovered of late is the significant price difference between sets here and abroad. Its really glaring to be honest considering the fact that duties/taxes etc. of LED/LCD (55" specifically) is 26%.

Yet, prices in India seem to be more than DOUBLE what they are in the US for example. I can't understand why this is so. Please don't say "freight/shipping" because that's not true. And its certainly not the duty/taxes here considering they are "only" 26%.

It appears to be something else. Maybe the manufacturers are charging higher support/A.S.S charges? Anyone have a clue why? Curious to know...

Last edited:
Firstly, thanks for replying guys.
@rdst_1.

By a very strange coincidence - I HAVE seen this TV in a store. Its on sale for 50% off list price at Rs.99,999/- (list 1.5L). BTW, this is a "store only" offer price and you wont find it online. I hope your friend didn't pay 1.2L for it off FK. ;)

Unfortunately - I didn't like the colors of the LG 55LB750T. The Bravia W950B was right next to it and completely blew it out of the water IMO. Ditto for the sound quality.

Before anyone asks - I made SURE all sets I viewed were with "Standard" factory default settings as stores tend to set them to "Vibrant" mode to make them more "attractive" to customers.

One thing I have discovered of late is the significant price difference between sets here and abroad. Its really glaring to be honest considering the fact that duties/taxes etc. of LED/LCD (55" specifically) is 26%.

Yet, prices in India seem to be more than DOUBLE what they are in the US for example. I can't understand why this is so. Please don't say "freight/shipping" because that's not true. And its certainly not the duty/taxes here considering they are "only" 26%.

It appears to be something else. Maybe the manufacturers are charging higher support/A.S.S charges? Anyone have a clue why? Curious to know...

Nope, he got it for Rs. 1.05L from the store.

As far as the picture quality goes, for the lakh he paid, there wasn't a single TV set which came close to it in terms of picture quality. The Bravia you're quoting is closer to 1.4L.

Coming to the prices for TVs, the US is a much bigger market and items are sold at lesser margins. Also, in most cases like Amazon, Walmart etc. they buy it directly from the manufacturer and don't have to negotiate with a wholesaler unlike India where there is a national distributor, wholesaler etc. who take their cut. All these things add to the price.

India typically is a big market for 32-40" TVs and the prices reflect the same. It is only now that the bigger sets have become popular. You should see a price correction soon though.

I agree with you that the LG 55LB750T is a STEAL at a lakh for a 55" LED.

And yes, the Bravia W950B is generally quoted around 1.4 - 1.6L.

However there is a "World Cup" discount ATM due to which one can get it for around 1.34.

This offer includes a free "Sony Smartwatch 2.0" (list price 15k) thrown in for free.

For me that's Zero value TBH as I have no use for a Smart Watch.

If they would offer a price reduction of Rs.15k in lieu of the watch it would have been a no brainer for me to buy the Sony over the Samsung.

Then again, I guess they have to dump their "Smart Watch" inventories somewhere and this is how they chose to do it.

Thanks for your replies...

If you guys are open to Indian brands, do look at the Vu and Micromax models, extremely good value for money, you guys could probably get a UHD of the same size within your budget.

There is another model from VU ie the XT800.Read that its a smart TV and also upgradeable. anybody has heard of this model.
Am sure everyone must have heard or seen the XT780 and not the XT800.

Back