Suggestions for 2 Split AC's

laugh

Disciple
Hello,
I am looking for two split Airconditioners for 2 rooms.

1. First room is actually a Hall Cum Open Kitchen plus a small passageway.

Hall Dimension =12*11
Kitchen Dimension =8*5
Passageway Dimenstion =4*4

Total area of room one =188 Sq.ft.

Wall height is 9 feet from floor to false ceiling.
This room is in top floor, hall and passageway have false ceiling but kitchen doesn't.

One window is south facing and another small window is west facing.

AC will be used for an average of 2 hours per day all through the year Somedays it will be used for 4 to 5 hours in one go and some days it won't be used or used negligebly.

2. Second room dimension is 13*10.5 = 136.5 sqft. Wall height is 9.5 feet.

One window is west facing and another is north facing. North facing window has a building 3 feet from it and north facing has trees on the sides. This room is in first floor and has no false ceiling. Here the AC will be used for an average of 10 hours per day all through the year. AC will be used continously at most times.

All windows have curtains.

Location is Chennai and max temperature is 42 degree centigrade and since it has a sea humidity is high.

Please suggest me suitable options, I have no brand preference.

Rm 1 - 1.8 - 2 ton normal AC dont go for anything fancy
Rm 2 1 ton inverter, as fancy as your pocket can afford - panasonic, ogenral, carrier, toshiba, take your pick

Rm 1 - 1.8 - 2 ton normal AC dont go for anything fancy
Rm 2 1 ton inverter, as fancy as your pocket can afford - panasonic, ogenral, carrier, toshiba, take your pick

Room1: Will a 1.5 tonne inverter make sense here? From what I read 1.5 tonne invereter=2 tonne non inverter.

from energy saving point of view it makes no sense considering your minimal running. 1.5T inverter does spike for a short while to about 1.8 (this is for rapid cooling of the room initially or for large gatherings) Its a matter of personal preference really, positioning the inner will be important to cover the kitchen etc. Check out a few and compare. Also consider/check the cost differential between 1.5 and 2.0 inverters

I just had another thought, I assume the Rm 2 is your bedroom and you will be running at night, and I am assuming it will be a compact apartment. Check out a 2T multi split, 3 innners are possible, and this may work well for you.

from energy saving point of view it makes no sense considering your minimal running. 1.5T inverter does spike for a short while to about 1.8 (this is for rapid cooling of the room initially or for large gatherings) Its a matter of personal preference really, positioning the inner will be important to cover the kitchen etc. Check out a few and compare. Also consider/check the cost differential between 1.5 and 2.0 inverters

If i go for inverter I will go only for 1.5 tonne and if I go for non-inverter I will go for 2 tonnes. From the prices I saw there is not much difference between a 5 star 2 tonne non inverter and 1.5 tonne inverter and this creates the dilemma.

If i go for inverter I will go only for 1.5 tonne and if I go for non-inverter I will go for 2 tonnes. From the prices I saw there is not much difference between a 5 star 2 tonne non inverter and 1.5 tonne inverter and this creates the dilemma.
For the minimal running you can skip the 5*, a 2 Ton Multisplit will take care of both rooms

I assume 2 ton split and not multisplit ? The rooms are not in the same apartment blocks!

@prtk @RishiGuru @Crazy_Eddy Looking for your suggestions too!
Oh rule out multi split then, 1 T inverter, and 2T budget AC - you don't need anything more for 600-700hrs a year running, unless you feel the running will incease. If the price for 1.5 T inverter is same, I would take a 1.5T inverter.. Never know when we will get greedy and start running it more.

Last edited by a moderator:
you are mistaken,
where you need inverter,you are telling to go for normal.

take both Inverter AC's with r410a.
Pray why an inverter for 6-700 hours a year running ? Makes no financial sense whatsoever calculate it any which way you want to. I would take an inverter only if the price is same, which I have said clearly. But I doubt the price is the same

inverter AC;s are far more energy efficient and they are available at equal or lower price than conventional AC's so what does common sense tell you?

buy something which is outdated,more running cost,more environmental damage?

or

buy something which is cheaper or equal costing,future proof and far less running cost with lower to nil (r410a) environmental damage?

inverter AC;s are far more energy efficient and they are available at equal or lower price than conventional AC's so what does common sense tell you?

buy something which is outdated,more running cost,more environmental damage?

or

buy something which is cheaper or equal costing,future proof and far less running cost with lower to nil (r410a) environmental damage?

Leaving the ballyhoo about the environment aside, how is it different from what I said ?

@ laugh
Why don't you the follow this thread: http://www.techenclave.com/communit...to-go-for-edit-bought-sharp-ah-xp18mv.141110/
Most of the doubts/dilemmas are covered in this thread.

I am following it but since questions regarding individual needs are converted into separate threads I started this thread, thereby saving moderators the trouble.

I think my requirements are bit different in that I have false ceilings, open kitchen and stuff.

Started calling dealers.

Dealer 1:
1. Pansonic

ys18pky 1.5 tonne 44k stabiliser+ac++4m copper wire

ys12pky 1 tonne 36k stabiliser+ac++4m copper wire

He wants 2.5 k for installing each ac which makes him suspicious in my eyes. He says vacuum installation and so 2x rates of normal.

Stabiliser is Omega and if I need V-guard it will cost 600 extra

2. From grey market

General 1 tonne normal AC= 25k
General 1.5 tonne normal AC= 38k

No copper wire, no stabliser.

I am going for 1 tonne inverter for the smaller room but still undecided between 2 star 2 ton and 1.5 ton inverter for the bigger room.

Will be spending today getting quotes and I will buy it tomorrow or the day after.

I am following it but since questions regarding individual needs are converted into separate threads I started this thread, thereby saving moderators the trouble.

I think my requirements are bit different in that I have false ceilings, open kitchen and stuff.

Started calling dealers.

Dealer 1:
1. Pansonic

ys18pky 1.5 tonne 44k stabiliser+ac++4m copper wire

ys12pky 1 tonne 36k stabiliser+ac++4m copper wire

He wants 2.5 k for installing each ac which makes him suspicious in my eyes. He says vacuum installation and so 2x rates of normal.

Stabiliser is Omega and if I need V-guard it will cost 600 extra

2. From grey market

General 1 tonne normal AC= 25k
General 1.5 tonne normal AC= 38k

No copper wire, no stabliser.

I am going for 1 tonne inverter for the smaller room but still undecided between 2 star 2 ton and 1.5 ton inverter for the bigger room.

Will be spending today getting quotes and I will buy it tomorrow or the day after.
General , Why grey Market? They have been official in India for many years now. http://www.generalindia.com/ . Yesterday I ready about some deals too in the local paper.

What are the costs for the 2T and 1.5 Ton inverter?

General , Why grey Market? They have been official in India for many years now. http://www.generalindia.com/ . Yesterday I ready about some deals too in the local paper.

What are the costs for the 2T and 1.5 Ton inverter?

There is 20-25% price difference between grey and regular and I have purchased a General ac from him 1.5 years ago and it's working fine. This AC is quieter than Daikin which advertised the quietness of their AC's as their USP.

2T 2 star starts from 3 and 1.5 Tonne Sharp initial quote is 45ka and 2T normal starts from 33k.

There is 20-25% price difference between grey and regular and I have purchased a General ac from him 1.5 years ago and it's working fine. This AC is quieter than Daikin which advertised the quietness of their AC's as their USP.
Generals make some excellent units, I have seen so many window units run for over a decade with minimal maintenance at 10+ hours a day. I would think their Inverters would be similar, considering they are one of the largest selling ACs in the mid east (where 24 x 7 is a given). And they are definitely not the cheapest.

A sharp can NEVER be compared with a General A/c it would be like comparing a Mercedes to a Honda Civic, sure both are big fine desirable cars but are they equals?

Add: I have done all this research over 5 years back, and AFAIK, not much has changed since except greater availability of the Inverters, While I may not know the specifics, I stand by my general opinion, and leave it to the buyers to interpret it which ever they want and make their own choices. I am not here to rubber stamp my seal of approval on any specific brand or model.

Generals make some excellent units, I have seen so many window units run for over a decade with minimal maintenance at 10+ hours a day. I would think their Inverters would be similar, considering they are one of the largest selling ACs in the mid east (where 24 x 7 is a given). And they are definitely not the cheapest.

A sharp can NEVER be compared with a General A/c it would be like comparing a Mercedes to a Honda Civic, sure both are big fine desirable cars but are they equals?

Agreed, we have a 1.5 ton window OG for the past 2.5 years and it never gave any trouble. I had it running 24*7 for 2 weeks continously (Probably it was switched off for about 30 minutes a day) last month and it performed like a star.

But right now I am pitting OG against other brands to see if I am overpaying!

Agreed, we have a 1.5 ton window OG for the past 2.5 years and it never gave any trouble. I had it running 24*7 for 2 weeks continously (Probably it was switched off for about 30 minutes a day) last month and it performed like a star.

But right now I am pitting OG against other brands to see if I am overpaying!
Normal OG, Toshiba, high end panasonics, and even high end Samsungs and LG, will always cost more, the real question is, how many hours a year do you expect them to run. If its 600-1000 as most contemplate, then a sharp will do, but the moment you start talking 1500+ hours a year, you have to start being more discerning then just the price. Also, Heat pump inverters can be considered if you are in supercold areas and use heaters in winter.

I would also like to point out earlier I had said Inverters operating range is about 10/15 - 125% of their rated capacity. This was disputed by pointing sharp as an example, I have rechecked and the higher end inverters do operate 10/15-125% of rated capacity.

Back