Car & Bike Suggest tyres for my Pulsar 200

moshel

Adept
Hi friends,

I have a pulsar 200 (2007). Done 45k on the ODO. The rear tyre (stock; MRF Zapper-C) got a slightly big puncture back in December 2013 which was not fixable so for the time being added a tube inside the tubeless tyre. Also, since quite some time I have noticed that the grip doesn't give me confidence to ride on higher speeds especially while making turns or zig-zagging through traffic. With a pillion its worse. Do you believe this would be due to the tyre?

Please suggest me replacement 120/80-17 tubeless tyres. Don't have a high budget; am not going to ride fast, my speed rarely crosses 60. I want good grip especially while turning. I don't understand those technical words like soft compound, hard compound and how they affect the ride quality. Would appreciate if you could provide the specific name of the suggested tyre and cost.

A separate question: is it possible to oil the chain myself at home? The chain on my bike is open and the oiling which is done during service wears off in 2 weeks and it affects the smooth operation of the chain and also makes noise.
If I can do it myself, please let me know what tools I'll need and which oil to use and what quantity to use.

Thanks in anticipation
Moshel

I dont have any idea about puslar tyres but this might help with your other query.

Soft compound = more grip, wears faster

Hard compound = less grip, lasts longer

You can clean and lube the chain easily.

Put your bike on the main stand

Use diesel with 1 inch wide paintbrush or toothbrush to clean the chain and sproket teeths.

wipe it clean with a cloth then start the engine and put the bike in 1st gear. lube the chain with car transmission oil. You can use a oil dispenser bottles like the ones come with sewing machine oils.

U can use castrol manual GL4 90 oil to lube the chain. It costs ~130rs for 500ml bottle

Last edited:
The Zapper Vyde is a usually recommended 120-80/17 now. There is a thread at Team BHP for bike tyre recommendations. That should give you a very good idea

There a huge thread at XBHP as well. There are also a lot of user reviews that you'll need to search for. If you're facing wobbling issues and the tyre has life left in it, look at a swingarm bushes overhaul or replacement of the cone set.
I'll recommend CEAT tyres due to my good experience with the company.

Thanks for the recommendations guys.
Went around a few shops here in Ahmedabad. When I ask for a particular brand or tyre, they just say not available. They have hardly 1 tire with them and give me no other choice. I asked one old and respected dealer if the TVS tyre he showed me was soft or hard compound?....his answer...these tyres are for Indian conditions :p

But I finally found few options other than TVS:
Ceat Vertigo Rage
Ceat Vertigo Sport
Michelin Pilot Sporty (I know Michelins are made by TVS, but still would hope they are good)

MRFs are not available anywhere in Ahmedabad, since dealers are not getting stocks from the company since December 2013.

Please advise which would be better.

Ah, I didn't know you were from Ahmedabad. Please PM me, I will give you the address of the Ceat dealer. You will get an attractive rate for those.

One last question.....Is it necessary to change both tyres? or it would be ok if I change the rear tyre only?

It's not necessary to change both tyres. Usually rear one wears out faster than front and it's absolutely ok change the reader only.

You can replace the front when there is need.

It's not necessary to change both tyres. Usually rear one wears out faster than front and it's absolutely ok change the reader only.

You can replace the front when there is need.

I am sorry. Really? Why rear first? I been using Motor bikes for only 8 years and before that only cycles. But always, always front goes out first for me. so have seen with my brothers who been driving 5 and 10 years before me. :S :S.

I am a front brake first and rear to complement rule follower.

^^ Seriously ? Its been completely opposite for me for all 3 bikes I have used. :p

It perhaps depends more on which brake you use more often. I generally use the rear brake so my rear tyre degrades faster. Also the rear tyre is fatter so more rubber on the road. This adds to grip but reduces life of the tyre.

@cisco_tech , I changed tyres on my ZMA asap since the stock rear Zapper Y's are very prone to skidding. I now have Ceat Zoom F and R in stock size. They offer good grip at the price.
ABK_1283_RES.jpg

Zoom Rear tread pattern
ABK_1285_RES.jpg

Zoom F tread pattern.
ABK_1286_RES.jpg

Back