Budget 15-20K Suggest a Smartphone (GSM or CDMA or GSM+CDMA)

ravihpa

Disciple
Hi guys,

First of all, here's the questionnaire, duly filled up :)

1. Budget?
A: 10 to 20k (lower the better though but can be increased if it's really worth it).
2. Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar
3. Preferred display type?
A: Any but if it is going to be 4.5 to 5" it should at least be 720p (am looking at you Xolo Opus)
4. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: Any brand. How about Galaxy S3 CDMA ? or Iphone 4/4s CDMA ?
5. Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen...DEFINITELY.
6. Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: Any.
7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android or iOS. No Windows.
8. Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: Should have the ability to go online for WhatsApp and Facebook :)
9. What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Regular phone use with little internet usage :)
10. Any other requirements?
A: It can either be a CDMA or GSM or CDMA+GSM dual :)
11. If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Please read the description below :)

So, onto my current situation :)

I am in need for a good smartphone for my wife. Budget is around 10 to 20k (lower the better though but can be increased if it's really worth it) because I will be using the EMI option on my CC :)

Anyways, currently, she has a Reliance CDMA phone, which really sucks, and I would like to gift her a touchscreen phone :) Since she currently has a Reliance CDMA number, my option is to either go for another CDMA phone or port her number to Idea GSM :) So any good CDMA or GSM phone will do :) Also, what about both GSM+CDMA ? What about those Motorola RAZR M/HD/Maxx, etc ones ? Need to do a little bit of research on that too :) Also, I saw a Galaxy S3 CDMA. Is it worth getting it ? How about the Iphone 4/4s CDMA ? Need to do a whole lotta research on that one too :p

Anyways, this is my current situation. Her birthday is coming up on Jan 29th, so would like to surprise her.

Thanx a lot in advance guys. Desperately waiting for a reply :)

PS: Online connectivity for WhatsApp/Facebook is very important :)[DOUBLEPOST=1389404411][/DOUBLEPOST]Alright, after reading a lot of threads and doing a lot of online research, it seems my best option specs and price wise is to wait for Moto G to officially launch in India :) Here is hoping it is here before 29th Jan :D

Nonetheless, I am open to more suggestions :)

Last edited:
Motorola is launching Moto G in India around mid or end of Jan both in single sim and dual sim models so you should wait for them. Best bet with latest android version in around 14-20 k bracket.

Hey guys,

Since the Moto G launch was pushed back, I had no choice but to get some other phone. I went through all my options but finally settled on the Galaxy S3 :D I got it at an unbelievable price of 21.8k :D. This is after cashback and 18 months EMI @0% interest :D I was also getting Galaxy Grand 2 at 22.5k, but my instincts told me to go with the S3 :)

Anyways, please recommend me some snazzy case/flip cover for Galaxy S3 (White). My wife will be using this, so something flashy/pinky/girly would be GREAT!!! :D

Again, thanx a lot guys :)

Congrats on your purchase !! Its a good price for S3.

Thanx man :D Believe it or not, the manufacture date was January 2014 :p I opened the package, confirmed everything was in perfect working order. Didn't even need to apply a scratch guard, because Samsung had already applied a PERFECT CRYSTAL CLEAR scratch guard :D I forgot to check the Android version but will be able to do so soon as it's gift wrapped right now :)

Currently, I am looking for a good flip case/cover but reading many horrible reviews online on various covers given that there are many fakes, I should probably just check out the local market and check the quality first hand before purchasing.

Unless, someone can recommend me a good branded cover, like Amzer, Capdase, etc. :)

It is at times difficult to judge/get a genuine one online. Since you are from Mumbai I would suggest visiting street which goes to Fort from CST, Heera-Panna near Tardeo/Haji-ali and Manish Market. Manish market is bit chaotic at times but once we (me & my 2 friends) were searching cover for Lumia 720 in last monsoon & landed there. In few shops cases were quite good particularly for females. Like there was one case for iPhone which was with few diamonds - of-course non-genuine :p Hence when you looking for some fancy/flashy cases/cover you might want to have a look at these places.

This. Motorola is one of the best phone makers out there.
I totally agree, but I couldn't wait any longer. It was supposed to be a birthday gift for my wife, and her birthday is on the 29th of Jan :) I had thought about gifting the phone on Feb 14th, Valentine's Day, but I had my doubts about the release date and pricing of Moto G. Motorola had only tweeted "Moto G launch details for India will be announced on February 5. Stay tuned!" This means only the "launch details" will be announced and that it won't be released on Feb 5th. Another big question mark was the pricing, and since getting 8 Gb without SD card support is just plain stupid, I would have only gotten the 16 Gb version, which I don't think would be any less than 18k.

Anyways, the above offer was too good to miss. A branded flagship phone at that unbeatable price with 0% 18 months EMI with a confirmed KitKat update. There was nothing I didn't like about this :)

Back