PC Peripherals Stabilizer for APC BR1000

sam000

Adept
APC replaced my faulty BR1000 for the 12th time yesterday charged it for a whole 20 hrs powerchute is saying its 100% charged.Now i have this problem when i connect the APC directly to the mains Powerchute said APC is "providing AVR boost" and it was "boosting" for 20+ mins continuously the voltage was around 194V-202V so the actual voltage would be much less.After 20 mins the voltage dropped below 190V and APC put the PC into hibernate after 2 mins(default is 5mins but i reduced it to 2).

This low voltage thing stays for hours on end and my super sensitive APC ups wont let me keep the PC ON for me to do anything:mad:.So APC advised me to get a stabilizer , after starting a thread here i bought a vguard DIGI 100(3Amps,1Kva) stabilizer which kept the voltage near 220V ALL the time.DIGI 100 worked flawlessly for 92 days and my UPS too did not go kaput for 3 Months:D then only i noticed my backup has reduced drastically no matter how many times i charged i was not even getting 5 mins backup.So called APC again they now say its DIGI 100's fault its only 3 amps while the UPS is 6 amps so it wont charge:mad:.They sent a engineer to my house he too says i should have bought a 2 Kva(6amps) stabilizer not 1 IKva(3amps).

So i decided to go for Vguard 4 Kva 12 amps AC stabilizer model no VG D400
Rs 4700 and i contacted vguard service center they say its designed for compressors not for pc/Ups and there will be delay when it boosts the voltage that will prove disastrous for my APC and are advising me to go for DIGI 200 which is 2 Kva, 6 amps (Rs4400).

When i bought the DIGI 100 no one told me about the amp thing and seems like i wasted Rs2500 on it.... dont wanna do the same mistake again please advise me which stabilizer to go for thanks:huh:

Sam000, just let us know whether you have a single phase supply or a 3 phase supply to your home.

If no 3 phase supply Rather than going in for a stabilizer you can spend some money in getting a 3 phase supply which would eradicate the problem of your low voltage. PM if you want to know more as to why i am saying this.

Or rather spend the money on getting a good PSU and a separate spike buster... i have really no clue as to what suggestion would make you come out of this problem.

kishore.chander said:
Sam000, just let us know whether you have a single phase supply or a 3 phase supply to your home.

If no 3 phase supply Rather than going in for a stabilizer you can spend some money in getting a 3 phase supply which would eradicate the problem of your low voltage. PM if you want to know more as to why i am saying this.

Or rather spend the money on getting a good PSU and a separate spike buster... i have really no clue as to what suggestion would make you come out of this problem.

Kishore sir i am on a 3 phase power supply and my pc is powered by corsair VX450 i think this is a quality PSU.Even the APC guys have no clue to this day they maintain that the fluctuations in voltage is not the cause of the failures and when asked as to why my units are failing at an alarming rate they stare at me like confused baboons :no:.

This high failure rate started only after they replaced my first NEW unit , these refurbished units were not used as hard as the first unit that i bought from the shop yet they die.I thought i was the only one suffering from APC
look at these guys.... this guy paid Rs 25000 and recieved a "service" he will long cherish:(:

APC UPS: Good Service EDIT: Now a bad service experience added as well - Page 3 - Team-BHP

If this unit too conks off i dont know what i will do is it advisable to take APC to consumer court? i have all the documents proving the high failure rate:( .

Is the 3amp stabilizer capable of charging 6 amp BR1000 :huh:.

Now if you are in a 3 phase supply, do you have the option to change the phase of the supply to the room? what i am trying to say here is, normally they provide with a Mixie regulator kind of stuff to change the phase supply, incase of power failure on a particular phase, we can try and change the phase supply. Try doing this if you have the option and post your observation whether the voltage has changed if you change the phase.

Agreed as i posted you earlier you should have asked to change the component which failed and not go for the refurbished ones. God only knows the history of the refurbished unit. APC might be a good company, however everything in india are managed by Indians...

What is the fuse rating in BR1000?... check it out. Post your observation. Technically 3 amps is more than sufficient i.e 220 * 3 amps = 660 watts. But if the voltage drops ie 170 * 3 amps its just 510 watts. This could be a possible bottle neck.

However none of stabilizer provides a boost to the voltage without any delay. So normal stabilizer are a bad idea, because your UPS will change to battery mode and resume to power mode quite often during voltage fluctuation.

Did you notice the above with Digi? if not, then go for a higher wattage DIGI stabs which could possible resolve the issue...

kishore.chander said:
Now if you are in a 3 phase supply, do you have the option to change the phase of the supply to the room? what i am trying to say here is, normally they provide with a Mixie regulator kind of stuff to change the phase supply, incase of power failure on a particular phase, we can try and change the phase supply. Try doing this if you have the option and post your observation whether the voltage has changed if you change the phase.

Never knew we can do that i will talk to my electrician:hap2:.

kishore.chander said:
Agreed as i posted you earlier you should have asked to change the component which failed and not go for the refurbished ones. God only knows the history of the refurbished unit. APC might be a good company, however everything in india are managed by Indians...

I think APC does care about its customer but they outsource the work to agencies that does not give a shit about APC or its customers.In chennai APC has 3 such agencies i have dealt with all of them this last one there name is mukesh info serve was HORRIBLE their "engineer" tried to sell a server grade online UPS cause he says BR1000 is incapable of supporting my puny 150Watts pc.He tells me"sir ,dont look at the money look at the solution BR1000 will give you problem after problem just buy this online ups for just Rs32000 we will buy back your BR1000 for RS2000 ".He also told me not to talk about our "deal" with APC i wonder why he told that

kishore.chander said:
What is the fuse rating in BR1000?... check it out. Post your observation. Technically 3 amps is more than sufficient i.e 220 * 3 amps = 660 watts. But if the voltage drops ie 170 * 3 amps its just 510 watts. This could be a possible bottle neck.

However none of stabilizer provides a boost to the voltage without any delay. So normal stabilizer are a bad idea, because your UPS will change to battery mode and resume to power mode quite often during voltage fluctuation.

Did you notice the above with Digi? if not, then go for a higher wattage DIGI stabs which could possible resolve the issue...

Ok thanks for the advise :eek:hyeah: i got myself another digital stabilizer from vguard its Digi 200 6 amps 2 KVA one.I hear tyhis "TAK" sound from the stabilizer sometimes when i hear this "tak" sound nothing happens the other times APC goes into battery mode for exactly 1 second then i will hear another "tak" sound from the stabilizer and the UPS switchers back to mains:p... it used to happen40 to 50 times in a day with digi 100 ie 40-50 seconds with digi 100 after i connected DIGI 200 the frequency has reduced ...has it solved my problem? i dont know, only time will tell :).

About the fuse rating i will call APC and update you.

All the best for your new experiment:). Probably Vgaurd themselves could see this post to rectify the delay in voltage boost....

sam000 said:
Never knew we can do that i will talk to my electrician:hap2:.

To give you an idea as to what i am trying to say. The phase change over switch looks like this. The first pic in the below mentioned site. In india you can get these from good manufacturers like L&T, ABB, Standard so on.

single phase change over switch - Electrical Resource - About Electrical News,Usefull links,Pictures

You will normally have 3 wires coming into your Main box, coloured as Red, Yellow & Blue & ofcourse a neutral wire.

You can get three of these, Ask your electrician to connect the three phases to these regulators in parallel.

have the phase supply in such a way that 1st switch(st Phase) will take care of your Hall & Kitchen, 2nd Switch (2nd Phase) will take care of your Bedroom & Dining & the third switch (3rd Phase) your 2nd bedroom & other rooms which you may have.

Never run all your rooms on a single phase. From what you are saying, i can see that your house has 3 phase supply however there is no option to split the load between 3 phases.

For domestic use, our mains have 30 amps fuse for a given phase, so effectively it can handle just 6600 watts. Now if you have all your house equipments to run on a single phase the load would be enormous and there would be a voltage drop.

Try getting hold of a good electrician and explain what you want. tell him that you would need seperate phase controllers for rooms and he would be able to do it ofcourse with a fee.

Do PM me if you need any assitance

kishore.chander said:
All the best for your new experiment:). Probably Vgaurd themselves could see this post to rectify the delay in voltage boost....

To give you an idea as to what i am trying to say. The phase change over switch looks like this. The first pic in the below mentioned site. In india you can get these from good manufacturers like L&T, ABB, Standard so on.

single phase change over switch - Electrical Resource - About Electrical News,Usefull links,Pictures

You will normally have 3 wires coming into your Main box, coloured as Red, Yellow & Blue & ofcourse a neutral wire.

You can get three of these, Ask your electrician to connect the three phases to these regulators in parallel.

have the phase supply in such a way that 1st switch(st Phase) will take care of your Hall & Kitchen, 2nd Switch (2nd Phase) will take care of your Bedroom & Dining & the third switch (3rd Phase) your 2nd bedroom & other rooms which you may have.

Never run all your rooms on a single phase. From what you are saying, i can see that your house has 3 phase supply however there is no option to split the load between 3 phases.

For domestic use, our mains have 30 amps fuse for a given phase, so effectively it can handle just 6600 watts. Now if you have all your house equipments to run on a single phase the load would be enormous and there would be a voltage drop.

Try getting hold of a good electrician and explain what you want. tell him that you would need seperate phase controllers for rooms and he would be able to do it ofcourse with a fee.

Do PM me if you need any assitance

Ok i talked to my electrician about this he inspected and told me it cannot be done :no:.Thanks for the reply repped you:).

Back