Split AC installation question

iPrank

Recruit
Dear friends,

I've bought a LG BS-Q186C8R2 1.5 Ton Inverter AC 2 days ago. The AC has not arrived yet. They are supposed to deliver and install it this week. Being a first time AC buyer, I am learning a lot from googling. But there are few questions those I can't find any answer to.

My room is 11'x13' (10' roof. other floors above it) plus an adjacent 8'x5' extension (8' roof, not floor above it).

I can install the AC only in the extension part of the room. It has 2 out-side walls (east and south) where I can install the indoor unit. My preferred wall is the south wall (shaded by tree). But, in that wall if I install the AC, then there will be approx 6" open space left between top of the AC and the roof. (Rest of the wall is a big glass window.)
The east wall has more space, but then the AC will not be able to throw air directly to my bed.

Can anyone please answer:

1. How much gap is recommended between the top of the indoor unit and the roof ?
2. What is the best place for the outdoor unit to prevent water leakage (or to increase efficiency) ? Above the level of indoor unit or Below the level of the indoor unit ?
3. I've got the permission form electric company, done the electrical wiring and installed Havells AC starter. I'm currently in the process of insulating the doors and windows. Any other thing that you think is important for first time AC buyer ?
4. My location in Kolkata (Calcutta). Any tips for hot and humid climate like ours ?

Thanks in advance !

Indoor Unit should be installed in a location:

Where airflow is not blocked.
Out of the direct sunlight.
Where cool air can be distributed throughout the room.
Where the wall prevents vibration and is strong enough to hold the product weight.
1 or 2 m away from the TV or radio (to prevent the screen from being distorted or noise from being generated).
Far from fluorescent and incandescent lights (for the proper operation of the remote control).
A place where air filter can be replaced without difficulty.
Outdoor Unit should be installed in a place:

Where the unit is not exposed to strong wind.
Well ventilated and dustless place.
Out of direct sunlight and rain.
3m or more away from TV and radio.
With solid wall or support to prevent vibration and strong to hold the unit weight.
Where neighbours will not be disturbed by operation or hot air.

Thanks for your reply. The AC has been delivered today. Hopefully the technician will come tomorrow to install it.
I understand that you have same AC. How is it working ?

I have a very bad news.
Yesterday the LG mechanics has come to my home to install the system. But, the outdoor unit has been found damaged. :eek:
They have taken it for replacement. Today I called their 'provider'. He said he will try to deliver a good system by tomorrow.
I bought LG because I heard they have best customer support in my locality. I hope they will be able to fix my issue soon.
:(

The AC has been installed 2 days ago. So far it is working good, but then again, last few days temp was between 35c-38c. Let us see how it performs when temp goes above 40c. :)
Thanks a lot for your support.

The AC has been installed 2 days ago. So far it is working good, but then again, last few days temp was between 35c-38c. Let us see how it performs when temp goes above 40c. :)
Thanks a lot for your support.
You are Welcome. Glad i could be of help.
I too was looking for some guidance in buying an air conditioner and couldn't find many(any at all) until i stumbled on this forum. I learned a lot from experts here like Rishiguru. This forum is really a great place, and is full of kind and intelligent people.

I have a very bad news...the outdoor unit has been found damaged. :eek: ... I hope they will be able to fix my issue soon. :(
Sorry to hear that. I am quite sad at LG's current build quality.:(

The older 1.5 Ton LG Inverter (Model No: BS-Q186C7M1) unit over which my previous assessments were based used to be 10 grand costlier than this new model and had much better build quality with no issues. My friend is super happy with this old unit. The indoor unit also used to be much more advanced than the current one in having double horizontal louvers to precisely control airflow and many more types of advanced air filters were provided. It also used to come with free installation kit.

The current models IDU is more of a knocked down version of the former model in having a single top hinged horizontal louver and Plasmaster. It seems a copycat of the unique top hinged louver topology of Sharp along with its Plasmacluster. Also it does not come with installation kit any more.

In other words LG have cut corners to be in the competitive Inverter market. Though LG have slightly better performance than Sharp in the 1.5 Ton category, no more can I say they come with equal built quality. Almost every forum member here or in other forums are facing some kind of manufacturing or design issue where the ODU fan grill is touching the fan which amazingly persists in almost all their current Inverter models and in extreme cases busted new ODU's !!!

The Koreans can't match the Japanese when it comes to build quality. LG has been notorious for its poor quality products lately.LG has also "Outsourced" it ASS - ASS is now done by a third party contractor. So whenever a part replacement is required for a product, which is under warranty; the ASS guys keep delaying it as they now have to shell out money for the broken part. A friend of mine had to follow up for two months for replacing the compressor in his split AC which was still under Warranty.

Now that you know that the ODUs have a manufacturing defect, better get a full refund of your money. Yes you can get it, it takes some amount of perseverance and an angry face!

Well, the unit is already installed and it is working good so far. The service company gave 5yrs extra warranty on the repaired condenser unit (in written).
I work from home. The AC is installed in my home office. I already lost 2/3 days of business for the problem with the AC. I didn't want to waste any more time on it.

Any way, lesson learned. I still need to buy 2 more ACs for 2 other rooms. If I don't get good support from LG or support of Sharp improves in my area, then next 2 are going to be Sharp Inverters.

Edit: One more thing that I must add ... first day the service company sent 2 people. But on the final installation day, there were total 5 people installing the machine. :)

Well, the unit is already installed and it is working good so far. The service company gave 5yrs extra warranty on the repaired condenser unit (in written).
I work from home. The AC is installed in my home office. I already lost 2/3 days of business for the problem with the AC. I didn't want to waste any more time on it.

Any way, lesson learned. I still need to buy 2 more ACs for 2 other rooms. If I don't get good support from LG or support of Sharp improves in my area, then next 2 are going to be Sharp Inverters.

Edit: One more thing that I must add ... first day the service company sent 2 people. But on the final installation day, there were total 5 people installing the machine. :)
am looking for 1.5 tone ac - the chennai dealer has the new and the old model of LG inverter ac - in fact he is offering the old model with Rs. 2000 discount - should i take the old model?

The AC worked good for couple of weeks but Bad news again !
Last night the horizontal swing broke all by itself and also I noticed water leakage.
Booked a complain today. The support guys was quick last time. Let us hope they'll come quickly this time too.

I'm starting to think that I've made a wrong decision by purchasing LG AC. :banghead:

The AC worked good for couple of weeks but Bad news again ! Last night the horizontal swing broke all by itself and also I noticed water leakage. Booked a complain today. The support guys was quick last time. Let us hope they'll come quickly this time too. I'm starting to think that I've made a wrong decision by purchasing LG AC. :banghead:

Sorry to know. :grumpy:

It seems LG have dropped their Inverter AC's product quality from BEST to WORST in no time with a hefty reduction on price.

It has been just about a year and a half that my friend got the LG 1.5 Ton (BS-Q186C7M1).

This is regular practice of both korean companies, LG and Samsung. LG / Samsung introduces some of the best products in market only to replace it much inferior product in no time. You may still get their premium products albeit at a premium price.

Back