PC Peripherals Should use stepped up UPS with Corsair PSU?

alto

Disciple
I need to buy a UPS, I have Corsair 550VX PSU. As this is a APFC PSU it is recommended that I buy a pure sine wave UPS. I have mailed Corsair and they are also not recommending to use a non pure sine wave UPS. There are many user here using stepped up UPS with Corsair PSU. Would you please tell your experiences as I want to go for a stepped up UPS, whereas pure sine wave UPSs are way too much costly. If normal UPSs don't work at all or PSU may go busted in the long term then I have to opt for a smart ups. I need 5 to 10 min backup atmost and a 1000VA should suffice my need.

Please give replies....

Hi Alto, what do you mean by stepped up UPS?
Some of the APFC PSU wont work in stepped sine wave UPS. You would require a pure sinewave UPS for it. If your PSU is rated at 550 watts, i think .75kva would do good.
Its always better to go for pure sinewave, with the advancement of technology and to be future proof, sinewave would be the best choice.

I have used APC Back UPS RS800 UPS with Corsair 850W and PSU used to make a buzzing sound whenever run over UPS. I used this combo for one month and later changed to sinewave UPS. But I have seen many people using quasi sinewave/square wave UPS with Corsair PSU without any problem on TE mainly with VX450.

Me using corsair VX450 which is active PFC with ordinary UPS for the past 3 yrs....my current ups is microtek 800VA which is performing flawlessly for the past 1 year .Microtek doesnt even make the buzzing noise which my earlier APC 1000VA crap used to make ....total paisa vasool for me :D .

Hi Alto, what do you mean by stepped up UPS?
Some of the APFC PSU wont work in stepped sine wave UPS. You would require a pure sinewave UPS for it. If your PSU is rated at 550 watts, i think .75kva would do good.
Its always better to go for pure sinewave, with the advancement of technology and to be future proof, sinewave would be the best choice.

thanx Kishore for your comment, you already guessed it right. stepped up UPS means to say that produces non pure sine wave type waveform when the UPS is on battery backup.

One thing again what is the price of APC SUA 1000 UXI? how is the performance and you are using it for how many years?

Its a reliable UPS. i have been using it since 2009 and its awesome. You can even connect a 7 Ah battery to it (2 Pcs). Just recently i connected two 80AH batteries to it and its really good. When i bought, it costed me 12K without batteries, i think the prices have come down and it should cost less than 10K i guess.

You wont repent for going with the Smart UPS. Their after sales have been excellent.

Back