Should i ask for replacement of my new inverter battery ?

sam000

Adept
I got Luminous 875 VA pure sine wave inverter + luminous ILTT 18048 150 AH Tall Tubular battery (48 months warranty) 11 days back. When they installed the battery i noticed the float level on all cells- - were below the minimum mark - the battery was manufactured 6 months ago - i called the dealer and he told me to top it off with distilled water from near by petrol pump - i did the same and the battery took 2 Lts of distilled water to reach the max mark - so far the inverter is performing ok.

Today my friend told me that i had made a big mistake by taking delivery of a 6 month old stock - and it was the reason for the low electrolyte level - he says the battery wont be reliable and will suffer a premature death - i feel like i was cheated now - should i ask for a replacement guys ?

6 month old is not that much old and If you are satisfied with the battery backup then there is nothing to worry about.

Most batteries stay in go down for that period of time. Most distributors, or retailers fill up the cells before getting them shipped.
If you're getting the advertised backup time, no need to worry. Else if the battery fails in around half hour even with low load, get it replaced.

my 3KVA luminous inverter batteries need top-up after exactly 6 months. new batteries aren't filled up to the brim to avoid spillage during transportation. if i use my logic then your batteries are fine. if you have any doubts, ask luminous guys to perform load testing.

Reading all your replies i stopped nagging my dealer for a new battery - got hold of quality distilled water supplied by this company called "kevin" - it cost me Rs 150 for a 5 Lt can - the first 2 Lts i used for top up on the first day from petrol pump cost only Rs12 .
So far on average i have used only 200W load ( 4 TB lights + 2 CFL) - here the power goes off for 2 hrs then comes back for a few hours then again 2 hour power cut - so far it gives sufficient backup for 2 hours - it also gets fully charged most of the time between power cuts - it takes more time to fully recharge only when i use the fan.

i use distilled water from shell fuel outlets- please post an image of this distilled water can, if possible...
It comes in ordinary white 5 lt can - no label nothing - a friend is using it on his kevin inverter battery (165AH) for the past 6 yrs - the kevin people recently told him the battery is still performing like new- he says his battery lasts this long only cause of the quality distilled water that he uses and he never lets the marker drop below the red mark - the moment it goes down a little he tops it up diligently.
thats why i bought the same distilled water.

Last edited:
Distilled water is best bought from battery dealers, should cost 60-80 rs for a 5 liter can.

I know i am reviving a dead thread but i thought i should put it out there as it may benefit someone who is searching for new inverter.

After repeated complaints about my tall tubular battery needing water top ups every few weeks....luminous asked me to send the battery to them via my dealer...2 weeks later they sent me a brand new battery manufactured just 30 days back.
Its been 7 months since they installed the new battery it doesnt need any top up even after this long....float shows except for one cell which is down 40% all others are down 30% water and nowhere near the minimum mark....back up is also good....the other great thing about luminous i found out is they dont charge anything for picking up and sending you a replacement unlike exide ....Hope that helps.

Back