shipping phone from the US

Discussion in 'Mobile Phone Buying Advice' started by stavan_d, Jan 31, 2013.

1. stavan_d

stavan_d Upgraded User

i've told my bro to order nexus 4 online in the States. since he wants to check the phone out, he'll be getting the phone there, using it for a couple of days and then ship it to me.

i wanted to know which will be the best way to ship the phone here and how much should it approximately cost?

also wanna know the safest way the phone can reach me without damage in courier and the rate for custom dutiesfor and taxes,if any aplicable.

thanks.

sd
  2. stavan_d

stavan_d Upgraded User

64 views and nothing? no one here knows how to ship a phone?
  3. prateekS

prateekS Privileged Users

4. stavan_d

stavan_d Upgraded User

i've read in a few posts on TE about ppobox "loosing" packages... so having my doubts about it... any other suggestions?
  5. benryu

benryu Privileged Users

hopshopgo, comgateway
  6. prateekS

Everyone loses packages, so insure it.
  7. varkey

varkey Privileged Users

But the max value that can be insured is 200 USD for PPO Box, which is a concern for high value purchases.
  8. prateekS

Then use hopshopgo ;)
  9. dexBG

dexBG still fishing

I am in the same pickle .. N4 with my friend in the US.

this would be first time getting stuff from US to India

HSG is more reliable ?
  10. stavan_d

stavan_d Upgraded User

using ppobox for a $400 devise is pointless... $200 insurance wont be a sufficient cover...

does hopshopgo provide full insurance? meaning as per device value?
  11. varkey

varkey Privileged Users

Yes. Its only 0.6% for insurance and its mandatory. I think they allow the product to be insured up to $10000.

The advantage of PPO is that customs would be a fixed % and as per declared value. In case of others you can never be sure.
  12. stavan_d

stavan_d Upgraded User

suppose i get a comgateway account and decide to use them to ship my phone. what will my brother have to do in the US? will he need to courier it to the comgateway's US address or can he drop it off at their office somewhere and then they can ship it here?

i knwo these are stupid and noobish questions but i hv never done this before and its my first time getting a phone from the US. so hope TE members dont mind. :)
  13. sspradhan

sspradhan Upgraded User

No point in using Hopshopgo and ppobox. Firstly your brother will have to ship it to their address and then they'll ship it to you. It will be better if he directly ships it to you via UPS/DHL. Dont use USPS as they turn to IndiaPost after entering India.
  14. varkey

varkey Privileged Users

Yes, ask your brother to send it by USPS Priority Mail to comGateway, will cost max $7-10.
  15. varkey

varkey Privileged Users

Have you tried this? Unless you have an account with DHL/Fedex the rates they charge for an international shipment will be really high. Mosty 3x-4x what comGatway will charge or even more when you include insurance as well.

So I wouldn't really give that advice.