Budget 51-70k Saving up to buy a gaming rig.

So um, Hi guys, I'm new to the forums though I've lurked around a bit. People around me might call me tech-savvy, but I'm looking to expand my horizons. Really want to make my own PC. Saving up as much as I can to get this made. Lot of concepts regarding the intricacies of PC handling I might not know - so do elaborate if you wish to =) I'll be a patient listener/reader!

1. What is your budget?
    • 50-60k
    • A small note regarding budget: I'll be saving up a lot for this. So I'm ready to invest a bit in appearances as well.
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

• Using a Dell XPS L501x for the last 3 years - this thing still works really good!
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

• Nothing. I can't even carry over laptop RAMs to desktop systems xD
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • Intel® Core™ i5-4670k 3.4GHz Processor - Was suggested to me - open to alternatives.
    • Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H (or Gigabyte GA-P85-D3?)
    • GPU - not decided.
    • PSU - Seasonic 620W Power Supply
    • SSD - Kingston SSDNow V100 64 GB SSD
    • HDD - WD Caviar Green 2 TB Desktop Internal Hard Drive (WD20EZRX)
    • RAM - Corsair Vengeance 4GB 1600mhz RAM CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9 (will add another for a total of 8 GB later)
    • Cabinet - NZXT Phantom 530 Full Tower Cabinet Chassis (This might seem a bit showy or over-zealous, but I'm just indulging myself xD )
    • Optical Drive - Asus DRW-24D3ST DVD Burner Internal
    • Screen - Dell S2240L 21.5 inch Monitor with LED or Dell 20 inch IN2030MB LED monitor (Don't know what's so good in the S2440L for that price increment - almost 3k. Do elaborate if anyone can.)
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • RAM size increment.
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Mumbai - Lammington Road (PrimeABGB) or Snapdeal (depending on drastic price changes, but primarily PrimeABGB)
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No.
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Download rig, 24x7 operation
    • Watching HD movies
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Nothing
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Strategy - Civilization 5
    • Witcher 2
    • Metro: Last Light
    • Planning to grab LotR: Shadow of Mordor when it releases.
    • Dying Light
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1920x1080
    2. Will be a minimum distance of approx 2m between me and the screen if I wall mount it.
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • Yes - someone will have to explain me the practical uses of this. I've never had a system that does this and the theory that I read on it doesn't explain me how/what it does apart from "things get better".
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 64 bit (hopefully, I'll be able to get this when I make the PC)

• Intel® Core i5-4570 -14000,
  • Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H -7900,
  • GPU - Sapphire/HIS R9 270X 2GB -15000,
  • PSU - Antec VP550P -3600,
  • SSD - Kingston SSDNow V+100 64GB SSD -4000,
  • HDD - WD Caviar Blue 1TB -3800,
  • RAM - Corsair Vengeance 4GB 1600Mhz -2800,
  • Cabinet - Corsair Carbide SPEC-03 Cabinet -4600,
  • Optical Drive - Asus DRW-24B5ST DVD-RW -1100,
  • Screen - Dell S2240L 22" LED IPS -8200.
  • TOTAL -65,000.

For the sake of knowledge and knowing what exactly I am buying, could you elaborate on a few aspects, please:

PSU: Antec vs Seasonic - Only because you're trying to fit in budget or it's not worth getting the 620 because the 550 works just as well?

Cabinet: I wouldn't know about performance of the two or how the air flow cooling actually helps, but I wanted the Phantom cuz it's looks kind of appeal to me. I'm not saying I am adamant about having it. I just wanted to know if there is some disadvantage to buying it, instead of the Carbide (which also looks nice) - because I don't mind overshooting my budget for the cabinet, if I can work with the Phantom.

Motherboard: I guess I can see why it's better to go for this, instead of the piece that is twice the price with more or less same capabilities.

Processor: Thanks. It looks like a better pick :D

Graphic Card: I will go with your suggestions. However, if possible, I would love it if someone could elaborate on how to pick graphic cards to begin with. I mean, the numbers or model part numbers have absolutely no significance on it's performance so...do you have to literally read everything about a graphic card to rate it's performance against another graphic card? And how does one decide if it's worth the selling price or not?

For the sake of knowledge and knowing what exactly I am buying, could you elaborate on a few aspects, please:

PSU: Antec vs Seasonic - Only because you're trying to fit in budget or it's not worth getting the 620 because the 550 works just as well?

Cabinet: I wouldn't know about performance of the two or how the air flow cooling actually helps, but I wanted the Phantom cuz it's looks kind of appeal to me. I'm not saying I am adamant about having it. I just wanted to know if there is some disadvantage to buying it, instead of the Carbide (which also looks nice) - because I don't mind overshooting my budget for the cabinet, if I can work with the Phantom.

Motherboard: I guess I can see why it's better to go for this, instead of the piece that is twice the price with more or less same capabilities.

Processor: Thanks. It looks like a better pick :D

Graphic Card: I will go with your suggestions. However, if possible, I would love it if someone could elaborate on how to pick graphic cards to begin with. I mean, the numbers or model part numbers have absolutely no significance on it's performance so...do you have to literally read everything about a graphic card to rate it's performance against another graphic card? And how does one decide if it's worth the selling price or not?

PSU: Antec units are made by Seasonic so there is no need to worry about branding here.
Cabinet: NZXT Phantom 410 or Corsair Carbide SPEC-03 are both good in terms of cooling performance if you install more fans than is provided by the manufacturer himself.
MB: Since you don't need to OC so naturally H87 Motherboards are a must and Gigabyte is one of the best brands around specially Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H Motherboard.
CPU: Best Intel non K CPU around with good per core performance.
GPU: Sapphire offers 2 years + 1 year labor warranty where as HIS offers 3 years warranty.You chose which one to get because its your mmmoney.

PSU: Antec units are made by Seasonic so there is no need to worry about branding here.
MB: Since you don't need to OC so naturally H87 Motherboards are a must and Gigabyte is one of the best brands around specially Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H Motherboard.
CPU: Best Intel non K CPU around with good per core performance.

I wasn't actually bothered about branding regarding the PSU, but more with the wattage. Would it help to have a 620 W for this setup, as compared to a 550? Or would it just be overkill and a waste of money?

CPU: But I wanted to OC xD

I wasn't actually bothered about branding regarding the PSU, but more with the wattage. Would it help to have a 620 W for this setup, as compared to a 550? Or would it just be overkill and a waste of money?

CPU: But I wanted to OC xD

The 620w PSu is just a overkill if you don't OC but if you OC by going with the setup of CPU+MB like these Intel i5 4670k(16k) + Gigabyte Z87-D3H(9.5k) then you can go with 620w PSU.Is it clear now.

Hey #bssunil,

PSU - Antec VP550P -3600, from where you got (quote) for 3600/-?

• Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H -7900,
  • SSD - Kingston SSDNow V+100 64GB SSD -4000,
  • Cabinet - Corsair Carbide SPEC-03 Cabinet -4600,
  • TOTAL -65,000.

Last week my friend bought a new gaming rig that was around Rs.40000 approx only for the cabinet. He bought Antec GX700 case. At first I thought this will be small but after assembling with AMD FX processor and Antec Kulher H20, it is more than enough. Still enough space left to add more cabinet fans. Just have a look no that.

Thanks guys. I've got a slightly better insight into the config.

Any reasons for the 120gb ssd? I was under the impression 64gb is enough for the OS?

Or is it about the brand?
Samsung 840 EVO 120GB -6500.

Intel Config:

• Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H -5500,
  • SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB SSD -6500,
  • Cabinet - Corsair Carbide SPEC-01 Cabinet -4600,
  • TOTAL -65,000.

How big of a difference would it be in the following two cases:

i5 4570 (3.2ghz?) vs i5 4670k (3.4ghz)

Is the different in frequency noticeable? Mind you, I've only ever used this laptop, so I have never had any practical knowledge of these things - so as far as I go, those are just numbers. The question that I keep asking myself is, that if I overclock with 4670k, will it make a significant difference? I'm not really aiming for extreme gaming. My mindset is more like, "oh well, I'm spending 70k on a decent config, might as well splurge a little". But at the same time I don't want to overspend trying to get something that I wont make use of.

How helpful will it really be to overclock?

overclocking will not bring a significant improvement in gaming. Heck you can go with a i5 4440. i want to suggest some modifications

• Intel® Core i5-4440 -11900,
  • Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H -5500,
  • GPU - Sapphire/HIS/Asus R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 -24000
  • Cabinet - Corsair Carbide SPEC-01 Cabinet -4600,
Now i have deleted the SSD as it will not improve gaming performance. It will just lower load times. And 280X will be more future proof then a 270. SO better invest in it than a SSD

So I've decided on the following:

• Intel® Core i5-4440 -11900,
  • Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H -6,747,
  • GPU - Sapphire/HIS/Asus R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 -24000
  • PSU - Seasonic S12II 520W -4766
  • RAM - Corsair Vengeance 4GB 1600Mhz x2 -2800x2 = 5600,
  • Cabinet - Phantom NZXT 530 Phantom -8562
Total: 50,675 + 24,000 (Graphic card) = 74,675

I am considering purchasing the materials worth 50,675 by mid July and leaving the Graphic card for later (when I get more money - say after another 6 months).

On another note, how long would you think this configuration will prove useful for me? Another 4-5 years, before I might need to upgrade it?

6 months is a long time buddy.
Even July is far away in terms of PC components A lot may change in this timeframe. Even there are rumors of AMD's 20nm cards that will include 370x, 380x and 390x.

The components you have choosen are good and will last you at least another 2 years with high settings if not ultra and another 2 years in medium to low settings

Bump this thread in mid June or two weeks before buying. There may be better components in market then.

Last edited:
Back