Refrigerator issue---ice build up and defrost

nRiTeCh

Skilled
I own this Electrolux refrigerator Model: EDE195. Bought in year 2009.
It got no auto-defrost system. Its a basic simple fridge. But till date no technician touched it. Cooling is good and no other issues.

The problem- no matter what temperature we set, ice builds up on 10th day or so. So have to manually defrost it and then remove the whole ice which sits on backside and side ways of the freezer.
So its a terrible nightmare removing each and every piece of ice.:(

Also its not possible to remove all the items from the fridge and then allow the ice to get melt etc. as this is way too time consuming as everything inside is fill-up and arranged/stocked properly.

After defrosting, the ice water starts to drain slowly from the inner back side which again spoils all the setup made inside & affects the stored fruits, vegetable and other items and the water eventually starts dripping off the closed door. Of course the melting ice water does get collected into the chiller tray but still mostly gets driped from sideways or back and makes it through the door.:eek:
So dont know if this is any fault or normal.:confused:

Also I think this isnt the pain in auto-defrost models. As I had similar fridge in my own house and parents used to defrost it every 12-15days or so & then do all the cleanup.
But when we bought two auto-defrost models the pain was lessened by 90%. Everything was handled automatically and the ice water use to collect in the chiller tray properly and very minor water dripping issue incurred and that too without spoiling anything inside.

So please comment what are your experiences and if I do need to have my refrigerator checked by technician.

1. Can you please state your location?
2. Was this problem faced right from the beginning? In other words, since when has this problem creeped in?
3. Are you sure you/your folks are not being careless, off late, by keeping the door ajar for longer periods.

For conventional refrigerators it is recommended to check the ice build up and defrost regularly. Depending upon humidity of the weather i defrost every other night in the monsoon and once a week in winters.
Defrost in the night before going to bed before too much ice is built up. That way you can prevent water dripping inside the fridge.
Regular defrosting improves cooling and lowers electricity consumption.

AFAIK Gas top-up is required if no proper cooling is happening. In my case the cooling is going as is since the time it was bought in 2k9. Still correct me.

My location is Pune. And we stay on top-most 5th floor where its too warm than outer temperatures. Average out temps are 37-39c and in house it can be easily felt 40-42c + humidity.
We use out fridge as like others and dont keep the door opened longer than needed...average 10-20 secs but of course never crosses 40secs. And fridge is used only in morning during cooking time and then at night for again cooking purpose.
Hardly its used in noon times may be just once to grab a fruit or shake.

Still what defrost pattern should I follow? Should it be once in every 7 days or 15 days or even that depends on the ice-building??
Sister defrosts the fridge once the ice builds up everywhere.

AFAIK Gas top-up is required if no proper cooling is happening. In my case the cooling is going as is since the time it was bought in 2k9. Still correct me.

My location is Pune. And we stay on top-most 5th floor where its too warm than outer temperatures. Average out temps are 37-39c and in house it can be easily felt 40-42c + humidity.
We use out fridge as like others and dont keep the door opened longer than needed...average 10-20 secs but of course never crosses 40secs. And fridge is used only in morning during cooking time and then at night for again cooking purpose.

Still what defrost pattern should I follow? Should it be once in every 7 days or 15 days or even that depends on the ice-building??
There is an indicator, knob kinda thing. On inner wall of the freezer. If its covered by ice and not visible - thats the time to hit the defrost button.

There is an indicator, knob kinda thing. On inner wall of the freezer. If its covered by ice and not visible - thats the time to hit the defrost button.
Oh yeah! I missed that. Thats exactly what my dad used to do. It was in red color button like thing but that was in the early 90s days.
Will have to hunt for similar stuff in my current fridge now. Anyways thanks for the info.:)

You are right gas top up is a scam.
Frost buildup actually means your fridge is doing its job well.
Defrosting is always done on basis of ice buildup, not based on timed intervals (like once every 2 weeks etc).

Get the door sealing checked.
Old fridge, old rubber, cracks and holes. Continuous fresh moist air from outside ... continuous condensation and frost on coils.
I am sure once monsoon sets in and the humidity rises from current 20-70 range to 60-90 you will see huge increase in frost formation.

I read the first post and don't see any problem at all. OP is using an old fridge in which all these issues mentioned are normal. In a single door fridge, ice will build up all around the freezer section even if you keep the fridge at the lowest setting. The freezer is the coolest part and will cool all the moisture in the fridge. It's job is to make ice which it's doing pretty well according to the first post. The cooling capacity reduced if you let the ice build up too much. Like an ich or two. Only way to stop water leaking is to defrost the fridge regularly (as soon as you see a cm of frost or ice) and keep the chill tray open during defrosting so that it catches waster dripping. Ideally defrost at night so that fridge isn't opened and items inside don't spoil.
Also during summer, keep the fridge more cooler by cranking up the setting a bit. In summer, items in fridge take longer to cool.

check the tray for blocked drain. This will cause the spillage. I too have the single door fridge and every month we will defrost. Better exchange for frost free. I am thinking of new godrej nxw series

Back