CPU/Mobo POST issue with beeps

Hi All,

I am facing with a weird issue. I tried to do all that I can but I am still not able to figure out the problem my computer is facing. My system is more than 7yrs old and i feel its time is almost up. I have the specs with me

Processor: Intel P4 2.66 Ghz
Motherboard: Intel D915GAV
Ram: 1GB Transcend (1.5yrs) and 512MB Transcend (7yrs) :)
Hard Disc: 2*500GB WD SATA
Graphics Card: 8800GT
SMPS: Corsair 750W

Issue

While copying a lot of files to my external Hard Drive, watching movie, surfing on net and downloading suddenly my system just turns off. On trying to start is again I hear a single never-ending beep. Turned off the computer again and turned it back on the beep was gone but on POST as I wasn't even able to see the Manufacturer Screen.

Steps taken to resolve the issue

Few days back I faced a similar issue and I just took out the CMOS and inserted it back again and my computer started running. I tried that step but no luck. Had also bought a new CMOS as i suspected that the present one was done for but still no luck
removed the RAM, re-inserted it back again and still no luck.
Added Thermal Paste as the system might had shut down due to excessive heat still no luck.

Finally I tried starting the system only with a single stick of RAM 1GB (without the Graphics Card) and viola, Finally I was able to see my desktop after few hours of labor.

I turned it off re-inserted the graphics card and turned it back on and there was that single never-ending beep. So presently my system is running properly but without the graphics card.

Possible Causes

As per what I came across the following below are my possible conclusions:
1. RAM has become weak
2. Graphics Card slot or the Graphics Card is not working
3. motherboard has become weak

Please share in your views. Though my system has taken a lot of pounding i still believe there's still some life left in it. Its Not just me, my system too would appreciate your help. :)

1. Look for any swollen/cracked capacitors on the motherboard (cylindrical objects). People having skill with soldering rod can replace such capacitors, but getting new motherboard might be easier and safer. Bad capacitors do give intermittent issues like you describe.

2. Graphics card and RAM need to be tested on a separate system. Memtest86 is a good program for testing RAM. Play high intensity game to test graphics card (I am not aware of correct way to test graphics card, let others suggest). But simple check whether it boots on another system is not enough, some stress testing needs to be done. Take them to computer repair shop with a prepared USB pen drive of memtest86. Don't take too much advice from that computer repairman.

3. Start backing up data on your hard drives more diligently. It is rare, but not unheard of for bad motherboards to kill hard drives.

4. Is there a lot of dust on CPU heatsink? It can be cleaned but I find it tough to do so. See if you can get a replacement for your CPU socket type. Cheap coolermaster ones should be available for 300-400. Lesson for your next computer if this is the case : take extreme care to choose a dust resistant cabinet.

Thanks a lot Amit for the valuable info and yes there is some dust on the system. After purchasing the CORSAIR 750W it is difficult to accommodate all the wires inside hence, one of the side is kept open. I was planning to buy a new system but for it got delayed by 2-3 months. As for the Cabinet I'm planning to buy either Corsair 500R or Corsair 650D. Hope they are good dust resistant cabinets.

I can test my RAM as the system is currently working.
I have a different Graphics Card GTX 210. with that I can check if the problem is recurring.
CPU Heatsink I am planning to buy one as the present one is almost done for.

I will take the 8800GT to my friends house where he can also do some stress testing. One issue with the 8800GT was even after I had turned off the computer the graphics card was very hot. I had to wait for sometime in order to take it out. does this graphics card generally get this hot?

Anyways i will test the rest of the stuffs and inform you their results.

Thanks once again.

I am a bit obsessive about anti-dust. I have a fan sized "curtain" made of light weight cloth tied to the top of the rear exhaust fan vent, which protects from dust when PC is switched off. When PC is switched on, by the force of air it is lifted and comes in a horizontal position to allow air to pass out. I seal off top exhausts if any, otherwise dust enters it easily when PC is switched off. You could also attach a dust filter made of a diaphanous cloth. Similarly seal off any other openings too e.g. expansion slots, water cooling holes, random openings , PSU vent etc. with cello tapes.

Not sure about 8800GT's heat issues. I use entry level graphics cards, or IGPs.

Back