CPU/Mobo PC freezes when USB device inserted + possible PSU Problem

Okay, so here's what happened -
1.my 320 gb external hdd stopped functioning

2.after that any usb device plugging in would cause my pc to freeze

3. Googled and as a possible fix Used USBDeview to delete all known usb mass storage drivers

4.the problem remained

5.after that a new problem popped up...no hdds in my pc will get detected, after a few restarts one hdd smart status shown bad

6. Few restarts later, the os hdd would detect, after very slow boot up, the display would vanish,like tv display, in times of powercut...pc would shut down, power button would not work

Question 1.do I need a new psu?
If yes please recommend an economy one.my config-
Athlon II x4 630
2x2 gb corsair ddr3 1600mhz
Biostar 785 g3hd
Seagate 7200 rpm 80 gb
Hitachi 7200 rpm 1 tb
Wd green 5400 rpm 1 tb
His radeon 5570
3 Led fans

Question 2: What do u make of this usb problem?
How can it be corrected?

My situation is different, I am getting Blue screen of error, as I insert USB drive...
but it doesnt happen with all USB

Any solution for this?

@OP which os you're using? Try running a live dvd of linux mint or Ubuntu on your pc. If you don't face any similar issues like you do now, you will have to reinstall your os. If you're on windows 8/8.1, it might be due to some update screwing with the pc. Only option is to install Windows 7 then install Windows 8 on top of it.

@Soyab0007, try with different USB port or cable.

Tried with front and back USB port, but result is same..
i can connect my moto g phone without any problem, but unable to connect samsung, asus and other USB pen drives
straight away it gives blue screen error

Try removing the drivers for those devices in device manager. You will have to enable show hidden devices in settings.

1pvJCQX.png

Which driver?

Click on View > Show hidden devices.
Then under Portable Devices you will find the devices which have drivers installed.

@GuruGulabKhatri the issue seems very taadpatri.

Do you have another Windows installed on other hard disk?
Else try what 6pack suggested.
Boot into Safe mode & remove all USB drivers/devices (be ready with a ps2 keyboard/mouse or with usb to ps2 connectors handy).
Then download & install recent mobo/chipset drivers from mfg. website and boot your pc and try again connecting usb data devices.

If only your 320gb external is giving issues then something could be wrogn with it.

Btw this issue was pretty common on Win XP esp. with front panel usb ports.

@GuruGulabKhatri the issue seems very taadpatri.

Do you have another Windows installed on other hard disk?
Else try what 6pack suggested.
Boot into Safe mode & remove all USB drivers/devices (be ready with a ps2 keyboard/mouse or with usb to ps2 connectors handy).
Then download & install recent mobo/chipset drivers from mfg. website and boot your pc and try again connecting usb data devices.

If only your 320gb external is giving issues then something could be wrogn with it.

Btw this issue was pretty common on Win XP esp. with front panel usb ports.
I dont have anything installed or anyway to check with a live cd...see last point in op please

The ext hdd is gone, but other flash drives work fine in other systems but freezes mine

I do need a psu to start my system first..
Questionis which one

I dont have anything installed or anyway to check with a live cd...see last point in op please

The ext hdd is gone, but other flash drives work fine in other systems but freezes mine

I do need a psu to start my system first..
Questionis which one
It may so happen that the polyfuses on your motherboard which protect the USB devices from overcurrent is getting blown for some reason.

Use a powered USB hub and see if the pen drives are detected.

Back