Budget 0-20k PC for 24x7 downloading purpose...

Vagabond

Adept
  1. Q: What is your budget?
    • Max 7k
  2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • HP Dv6703 Laptop (c2d 16 Ghz, 1Gb Ram, 160 GB HDD)
  3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • will keep laptop for office use
    • Nvdia graphics failed 3 times (heating issue, 2 quick - 1 long beep , spend almost 5k for repairing till date, bought cooling pad of 1k as laptop runs continuously for torrent downloads)
  4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • Any which serves my purpose, "Continuous downloading"
    • heard about android sticks, Raspberry, NAS etc ( this is where I need your help deciding a device)
  5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Yes, anything upgradable to speed and storage (have 300 GB, 1 TB and 2 TB HDDs) in future
  6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Pune (preferred)
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Yes (only if available from TE members)
  8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • 24x7 downloading torrents (sorry if sound annoying)
    • should not be heavy on electricity bills
  9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • no idea
  10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • it will be add on for kids in family if can play games on it ! not necessary though !
  11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. have 32" lcd, want to connect just for adding torrents and browsing (this thread!)
  12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
    • NA i guess
  13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • No idea..

Special thanks to ALPHA17 in advance...

Thanks,
Pavan

If you need it purely for downloading and stuff - get the Pogoplug Pro. Should be ~2k i guess.

If you also need it for the kids playing games etc. - buy an Android stick - Should be ~3.5-4k. But I am not sure whether they are designed to be run continuously or not.

Go Flex Home - SATA ports for directly connecting a HDD. Can be used with stock firmware and also can put Arch Linux on it. Transmission is the torrent client and it does a decent job.

Pogoplug - 4 USB ports for connecting HDD etc. Similar to Go Flex in other respects.

Pi - More expensive than both, but comes with a HDMI out. However, you will need to invest in a 1.5A power supply if you want to use USB HDD.

Android stick - like a Pi, runs android ICS, most expensive of the lot. However, some have reported heating issues, so take care.

If you have an internal sata HDD free -> for go flex, else pogo plug.

Thanks all...
Almost got 3 options to go for...
I will Google all so mean while can you suggest where to buy these in pune/ online?

One can also use an android tablet as a downloaded machine, right? There are many cheap android tablets in the 4k range in the Indian market now.

gone through pogoplug thread last night... phew..

i am totally away from linux and all, is there similar simple device which i can simply buy connect and start downloading ??

I am not saying not ready to learn installing pogoplug, if that`t most suitable for me (if you guys suggest so) i might like reading in details from tonight itself ! happy to learn !!

Thanks,
Pavan

@vivek.krishnan
Will Asus RT-N13U with 16/32gb Pen Drive will serve his purpose ?

I am not a heavy downloader, but with Asus RT-N13U with stock firmware serving my purpose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will Asus RT-N13U with 16/32gb Pen Drive will serve his purpose ?

I am not a heavy downloader, but with Asus RT-N13U with stock firmware serving my purpose.

Yes, this setup will serve OP's purpose. It has been serving my purpose since 1.5yrs. :p

However, the stock FW is BS. So, "upgrading" to DD-WRT is highly recommended as many users have reported that the stock ASUS in-built torrent client does not work. DD-WRT + Transmission (Optware) + 16GB Pen Drive setup has been working well for me since 1.5yrs. :)

Yes, this setup will serve OP's purpose. It has been serving my purpose since 1.5yrs. :p

However, the stock FW is BS. So, "upgrading" to DD-WRT is highly recommended as many users have reported that the stock ASUS in-built torrent client does not work. DD-WRT + Transmission (Optware) + 16GB Pen Drive setup has been working well for me since 1.5yrs. :)
Will DD-WRT support http & ftp downloads ? If is requested for a link to setup.

The only reason I do not use/recommend the N13 as a downloader except for those on a budget is because when downloading heavy files (720p/1080p HD movies) AND if the router is switched off then on startup the time it takes to check the files makes the router almost unresponsive till it completes the check. Plus using extra modules will overtax the already burdened system on board.

And finally, speeds are not that great. You will get 2~4MBps over the network from the device.

Rather get one with Gigabit support like the plug or the goflex.

Back