Okay Google Now make me a sandwich.

ashrr

Adept
IMG_20140414_150407.jpg

Just opened the door to this. More pics coming soon!

Trouble is I only have access to a Nexus 4 camera right now which is pretty terrible. Unboxing video may not be possible but I'll post a lot of pics once I migrate everything :)

More pics as promised. Flipkart's photos are slightly misleading. I got black accents (buttons and camera trim) and not silver as shown on their website. The back is made of smooth plastic and feels very good in hand, although somewhat slippery. Some of the other colours like Royal Blue and Black have a soft-touch rubberized back but I read too many reports of discolouration along the edges. In the end, I went with the red and although my brother thinks it looks like a toy, I really love it :p

4.jpg 11.jpg 10.jpg 2.jpg 9.jpg 3.jpg 5.jpg 8.jpg 7.jpg 6.jpg 1.jpg

any reason why you chose this against Nexus 5, as price difference is 3k..
i am planning to buy Nexus5, want your views what made you buy this..

nice phone..

any reason why you chose this against Nexus 5, as price difference is 3k..
i am planning to buy Nexus5, want your views what made you buy this..

nice phone..

The price difference is actually 6k I think. Regardless, there were four reasons for me to choose the X over the N5.

First of all, let me say that I'm a big fan of Nexus devices and my previous device was a Nexus 4. Stock Android is a huge selling point for me.

However, the Nexus line does have a few drawbacks. The battery life is pretty poor. This can be somewhat alleviated with custom kernels but I just don't have the time for tinkering these days. Recently, I was in Bangalore for a meeting and I had to rely on navigation to reach my destination since I didn't know my way around the city. When I left for the meeting, I was hovering around 24%. When I reached my destination after 20 minutes, I was at 1%. I don't know what I would have done had my battery actually run out. I could have lost out on business.

Sure, it was kinda my fault for not charging my battery but at that point, I really felt like the Nexus battery was unacceptable. The N5 does a little better but not by much. The Moto X on the other hand, does not have a great battery by any means but it's consistently better than the Nexus phones and gives me acceptable screen on time of about 4.5 to 5 hours.

The other issue was size. The N4 was simply too big for my hands. One handed usage was a pain in the ass. The N5 is nicer in this regard since it's thinner but doesn't hold a candle to the Moto X which seems like the perfect size to me. It's an absolute beauty to hold... Extremely comfortable. They've outdone themselves with the form factor.

Then came active notifications... I can't stress how useful I find them. Voice control is also pretty cool. I actually feel like Motorola improved stock android with these two additions.

Congrats on your MotoX ashrr! I fully agree with you on the battery and form factor, those 2 points are very important for me as well! I bought a 16GB MotoG for my wife on day 1 of India launch along with the red flip cover and we are loving it! MotoG is even better than the MotoX in the battery life department. They should have also launched the 32GB version of MotoX in India. There's news about a MotoX refresh in the works as well. I hope they retain the form factor and improve the battery in the new version.

PS: I'm still using my laggy Motorola Defy+ because I love its form factor, build quality and battery life.

Last edited:
Congrats on your MotoX ashrr! I fully agree with you on the battery and form factor, those 2 points are very important for me as well! I bought a 16GB MotoG for my wife on day 1 of India launch along with the red flip cover and we are loving it! MotoG is even better than the MotoX in the battery life department. They should have also launched the 32GB version of MotoX in India. There's news about a MotoX refresh in the works as well. I hope they retain the form factor and improve the battery in the new version.

PS: I'm still using my laggy Motorola Defy+ because I love its form factor, build quality and battery life.

Indeed. The Moto G's battery is phenomenal. My friend's phone easily lasts two days while my X needs to be charged every night. As for the refresh, I read about it like 2 hours after I placed the order for my X. Obviously, I was a little upset but everything changed once I opened the box. I'm thoroughly satisfied with my purchase.

Back