Linux NVIDIA Gefore GT755M and Linux Mint 16 Compatibility Issue (and other assorted problems)

RawheatC

Recruit
Hi,

I own a Lenovo Ideapad Y510P. Here are the hardware specs:
Intel Core i7 4700MQ
NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M (2GB)
8GB RAM
1TB HDD

Apart from this, it also has integrated Intel HD graphics.

Apparently, Linux mint 16 does not support my graphic card, hence it needed to be run on compatibility mode. Installing the latest drivers for Linux provided on the NVIDIA website did not help. However, I went ahead with the installation, creating a separate 50 GB partition for it. Upon restarting, the only way to run Mint was from the "Recovery mode" in the GRUB menu, but on choosing Windows 8, it threw up an error: "Install using CD. File Missing".
I restored the Windows 8 installation using One Key Recovery with the data intact. However, the problem still persisted on turning on the PC the next day. I had to start using the Novo button and on choosing Boot Menu --> Windows 8 Boot Manager, Windows started right away. On the next restart, though, even this failed and I had to use Recovery again.
I deleted the Linux Mint partition from Disk Management but I am unsure about how to get rid of it in the boot menu (and recover the Windows bootloader). Now, upon restarting the computer, a command prompt saying "grub rescue>" appears. What to do?

TLDR: 1. How to get my GPU running with Linux Mint/Ubuntu?
2. How to recover the original Windows bootloader after uninstalling Linux Mint?

Back