Nokia Lumia 920 Coming to India on January 15

Well I'd be damned if it releases at that price! 25k WTF! :Jumpy:
25K and they got a customer! Even having already burnt a load of cash on a Lumia. Business phones don't come any better than these (Ex iPhone and current iPad4 user here). The mail and office experience is unmatched. And I am not even mentioning the optics on this one.

Google Maps no longer accessible through Windows Phone 8 browser - GSMArena Blog

Although Google Maps was never technically supported on the Internet Explorer browser on WP8 (because it is optimized for use only on browsers running on the WebKit engine) it did used to work to some extent before. Now, however, it doesn’t work at all.This move can be seen as the result of the growing rivalry between Google and Microsoft. Recently, Google disabled the Exchange ActiveSync support for personal, non-enterprise users, which was a big blow to Windows Phone 8 users who relied on Google’s services. This recent move cuts another one of Google’s services from being accessed from Microsoft’s devices. Also, if you’re waiting for a native Google Maps app, then you should remember that Google also recently said that they have no interest in developing for either Windows 8 or Windows Phone 8.
Google has responded to this issue with the same reason as stated above, saying that the mobile site is optimized for WebKit engine, whereas the IE browser on WP8 uses the Trident engine. However, there is no explanation on why it used to work partially before and why it does not work at all now.

I wish if this is taken care of.Never used BING MAPS so dont know how accurate it is. Haven`t been a mobile windows user either and mostly been an IOS user.But this Lumia 920 is something that i wanted to look forward too.

Google enabling Maps access for Windows Phone after uproar | The Verge
They've fixed it, but who cares when you have the awesome Nokia Drive turn-by-turn

I wish if this is taken care of.Never used BING MAPS so dont know how accurate it is. Haven`t been a mobile windows user either and mostly been an IOS user.But this Lumia 920 is something that i wanted to look forward too.[/QUOTE]

I doubt the 25k price is true , checked a local mobile store who says Nokia Lumia 920 stock will be arriving within a week and the expected price is ~30-31k .Priced similar to HTC 8X.

I also went to Nokia Priority here in Pune.
820 for 25K and 920 for 35K according to the lady at the store. Very limited stock according to her.

WMPoweruser reports that Nokia Care has just confirmed that the Lumia 920 and Lumia 820 smartphones will be launched in India on January 11. It’s unclear whether the smartphones will be initially available in Nokia Store locations across the country and will hit shelves at authorized retailers a few days later. If that is the case, it means that our initial report was correct as Indian retailer Saholic is now taking pre- orders for the Lumia 920 and claims that it will start shipping the phone on January 15. When it comes to price tag, no official info has been disclosed yet, but Shaolic has already put a price on Lumia 920. Customers in India that wish to grab Nokia’s
flagship
smartphone will have to come up with no less than Rs 40,000 ($735/ €560) outright. It is also worth mentioning that Indian retailers ask customers to pay a Rs 2,000 ($35/€25) reservation fee, which will be deducted from the final price of the handset. We’re not sure whether Nokia will be offering the Lumia 920 and 820 through a major Indian carrier, which means that Indian customers will be forced to pay the full price for any of the two smartphones. The Lumia 920 is the best- selling Windows Phone 8 device launched by the Finnish company, but Nokia was unable to meet the high demand for its flagship smartphone. The company has announced that it will ship a second batch of Lumia 920 units in Q1 2013, though we’re certain these won’t be enough to fulfill all pre-orders, as the most carriers
and retailers have a long backlog.

Nokia Lumia 920 and 820 Launching in India on January 11 - Softpedia

But @ sarang

I have used GOOGLE MAPS for 3-4 years now and just love them for the accuracy and ease of using them.Have never used NOKIA/BING MAPS.

But @ sarang

I have used GOOGLE MAPS for 3-4 years now and just love them for the accuracy and ease of using them.Have never used NOKIA/BING MAPS.

So you have not experienced what others have to offer. No doubt google maps are good. I myself have used navigation from google/nokia/sygic quite a bit. Nokia/sygic is way better than google in navigation.

Yup,nokia maps is insane. It is able to locate addresses that the mapmyindia app couldn't. A couple of more tweaks here and there and it would start giving the dedicated GPS units a run for their money.

And near accurate speedo values as well! This was on an age-old E71 of my boss, while we were driving. If the application on the Lumia devices show any signs of improvement, this is a definitive winner!

Yup,nokia maps is insane. It is able to locate addresses that the mapmyindia app couldn't. A couple of more tweaks here and there and it would start giving the dedicated GPS units a run for their money.

You know what powers Nokia Maps? Navteq. That's the same company that pioneered data for dedicated GPS units by the likes of Garmin. If I am not mistaken, Navteq has 3x-4x the data of Google Maps. In India it recognizes all the by-lanes and gullies which don't exist on Google Maps. The directions are more accurate too. By the way, every Windows Phone 8 devices uses Navteq data, though Nokia Maps client is exclusive to Nokia phones. Nokia Drive is awesome too, though I haven't used the Drive+ WP8 update. This more related to Bing than Nokia, but one annoying thing about WP in India though is it has some features like Local Scout disabled for no good reason. Hopefully they fix that.

On the other hand, Google Maps has more data for all the little shops and establishments. But there's GMaps on Windows Phone which is an excellent Google Maps client and dare I say it, as good as the Android Google Maps. So you get best of both worlds.

Back