Nokia Lumia 620 Now on Pre-Order in India at Rs 15,199

The Knight

Knight is coming
Adept

Nokia Lumia 620, the third Windows Phone 8 handset from the Finnish mobile phone maker Nokia, is now available for pre-order in India, with a price tag of Rs 15,199 ($277 / €213) attached to it.

The handset, officially announced for this country a while ago, can be seen listed over at Flipkart in Black, Cyan, Green and Magenta, with an availability timeframe set for the second week of March, as bgr.in notes.

Nokia Lumia 620 was unveiled in December last year with a 1GHz dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 processor inside and with a 3.8-inch WVGA screen on the front, and was expected to hit shelves in India before the end of February, but Nokia delayed its release without any explanation.

The Windows Phone 8 handset also features 512MB of RAM and 8GB of internal memory, along with a microSD memory card slot, a 5-megapixel photo snapper on the back, and a 1300-mAh battery.

Source

The pre-order offer also includes a 16GB SanDisk memory card, a decent offer. I would suggest this phone for those looking to buy in the ~15k price bracket. But I wish the price was hovering in the 13k-13.5k range, that would have been killer for Nokia. Now launch the 520 and 720 soon.

till now why there's no android based fone from nokia?
No, and they don't need to. Android is Samsung-dominated market and they don't have much to gain treading in that zone. WP8 is really good, a decent alternative to Android and iOS.

Saw the lumina 620 today. Device looks great, very easy to handle but its thicker at 11mm. Is it worth buying this? That's the question. I am worried about the low number of apps.. Even games are very few :p

It will pick up soon enough. I think Windows Phone 8 is an excellent OS and minor niggles aside, provides a better smart phone experience compared to iOS and Android. I currently use the Lumia 920, used an HTC Incredible S for 1.5 years before that, and used the iPhone (1, 3G, 3GS) before that so I know where I'm coming from.

Is it worth buying this? That's the question. I am worried about the low number of apps.. Even games are very few :p
Yeah, I meant the platform, sorry for being unclear. Nokia is doing a great job with marketing and promoting WP8 and providing the perfect hardware to showcase the OS. It's almost ironic how the brand's come full circle. I remember trashing Nokia a few years on this very forum for its doggedness to stick with an archaic OS (Symbian) and its complacency and unwillingness to evolve. The company's come a long way since then :)
I'm willing to bet that the number #2 platform in terms of popularity (not sales because that's a skewed way of analysing perceptual change and trust in a brand) by the beginning of next year will be WP8 and its future iterations. Obviously Apple will remain #1 and Google will move to #3. Microsoft's a stalwart in the OS business - they've got decades of experience compared to Google's 4 or 5 years.

Just my two cents... good luck on your buy!

@tracerbullet I have high hopes for WP8 platform and see it as the best third alternative (sorry BB10), but the way I see it as of now, it's the race to reach the third position and gain around 10%+ of marketshare. Android won't be moving down without much fight - Google is constantly improving it, there are device to cater to every customer, and then there is the fanbase and familiarity it has gathered.

By early next year, I hope WP8 reaches into double digit market share and attrat the attention of developers. If at all it reaches to the 2nd position, or even the first, I see it happening at least 3 years for now. But the interesting thing is Microsoft can afford such a thing and is in it for a long game. Their first Xbox is a testimony to that fact.

Last edited by a moderator:
@tracerbullet I have high hopes for WP8 platform and see it as the best third alternative (sorry BB10), but the way I see it as of now, it's the race to reach the third position and gain around 10%+ of marketshare. Android won't be moving down without much fight - Google is constantly improving it, there are device to cater to every customer, and then there is the fanbase and familiarity it has gathered.

By early next year, I hope WP8 reaches into double digit market share and attrat the attention of developers. If at all it reaches to the 2nd position, or even the first, I see it happening at least 3 years for now. But the interesting thing is Microsoft can afford such a thing and is in it for a long game. Their first Xbox is a testimony to that fact.
I will better buy the phone after 3 years from now. :) . Seriously They need to work a lot on App department. UI is cool but App inventory is not so Great so far..

WP8 has some serious potential and especially with these low cost lumia devices nokia pushing in the mass markets like india where there are still lot of nokia loyalists.

Third spot has all the newest contenders like firefox,bb10,ununtu and is very crowded but once ubuntu touch comes with large number of devices it will cut off a hefty droid base since it has gain a lot of popularity around the globe in recent years.One major thing behind the success of android is the fact that it is open source.All in all it will be an interesting fight for the third best alternative os.

^^ Agree But We are talking about the current trend. Android is all you need to buy...

Ubuntu has the potential but How successful it will be? Still a big question ... Ubuntu existed way before Android . Google had All the Money to develop and more importantly promote their OS.

I wish Best of Very luck for Ubuntu guys UI is way cooler than any other OS we have...

@priyasukumaram

How can you declare WP8 as a flop OS? It's not even out for a year. It has actually gained much than what Android did in its first year, and with stiffer competition. Current Nokia WP8 phones don't depend much on Zune, you can do basic tasks with just plug-and-play. App numbers are over-rated, almost every major app is available on WP8. And the famous ones that aren't there will be debuting soon according to Microsoft, who are sending their own programmers to help with app development. The app argument was valid maybe in November last year, it's totally invalid now.

And regarding Android on Nokia phones, it's a losing cause for Nokia. They can always shift to Android in dire situation if needed, or go back to Meego, but as of now there is not much profit to be had in the Android smartphone space with cut-throat competition from every OEM, and not to mention the dominance of Samsung which even Google is worried about. It's not about the CEO, it's about staying relevant in the business.

Android phones are not very efficient IMO, the OS is very flaky. The phones need stellar specs to run smoothly, and the mid-range phones are pathetic, but the customers have had no choice in that market-segment (mid-range smartphone, with major apps) as of now. With Nokia releasing the Lumia 620, and also outing the 720 and 520 in the future soon, they can infiltrate that market and capture much needed breathing space.

Nokia has done their job well, now it's time for Microsoft to rise to the occasion.

@priyasukumaram

How can you declare WP8 as a flop OS? It's not even out for a year. It has actually gained much than what Android did in its first year, and with stiffer competition. Current Nokia WP8 phones don't depend much on Zune, you can do basic tasks with just plug-and-play. App numbers are over-rated, almost every major app is available on WP8. And the famous ones that aren't there will be debuting soon according to Microsoft, who are sending their own programmers to help with app development. The app argument was valid maybe in November last year, it's totally invalid now.

And regarding Android on Nokia phones, it's a losing cause for Nokia. They can always shift to Android in dire situation if needed, or go back to Meego, but as of now there is not much profit to be had in the Android smartphone space with cut-throat competition from every OEM, and not to mention the dominance of Samsung which even Google is worried about. It's not about the CEO, it's about staying relevant in the business.

Android phones are not very efficient IMO, the OS is very flaky. The phones need stellar specs to run smoothly, and the mid-range phones are pathetic, but the customers have had no choice in that market-segment (mid-range smartphone, with major apps) as of now. With Nokia releasing the Lumia 620, and also outing the 720 and 520 in the future soon, they can infiltrate that market and capture much needed breathing space.

Nokia has done their job well, now it's time for Microsoft to rise to the occasion.
I m sorry to say but This is just a height of appreciation...

I agree if you say WP8 has potential to be No1 But if insist on buying WP8 over Android then i will call it fanboism.

Back