Android Nokia launches Android X, X+, XL

Nokia announced launch of new highly customised android phone X, X+, XL to compete with low end Android mobiles available in market. The devices will replace Google Drive with OneDrive, Gmail with Outlook, and Google Maps with HERE.

The Nokia X is the entry level member of the family, with 4-inch IPS LCD screen, 512MB RAM and a 3-megapixel camera. It will be available in green, black, white, yellow, cyan and red.

The Nokia X+ offers you a little more, as the name suggests: there’s 768MB RAM and a 4GB MicroSD card is included in the box. It comes in the same colours as the Nokia X.

Lastly, the clue is in the name for the Nokia XL, as well, with its 5-inch screen. The Nokia XL also boasts 768MB RAM, the free MicroSD card and it has both a 2-megapixel front-facing camera for Skype calls, as well as a 5-megapixel rear camera with autofocus and flash. The same colours are available as for the Nokia X and X+, except bright orange replaces the red with this model.

Source - http://conversations.nokia.com/2014/02/24/nokia-x-family/

Without Google Apps integration this would be a hit or miss move by MS / Nokia. The Android "X" line, at this point, seems to be intended towards people who wants an entry level smartphone and not a feature phone at a low price. For smarter phones Nokia would be concentrating on the Lumia line.

Next in line, XXL, XXXL :p and more affordable models would be S, M, etc

Last edited:
Have to say XL is great with 5" and so cheap. And considering we have get any launcher on this thing and sideload any .apk's , I'm sure it will get a great dev support as being the first ever android phone.

The Nokia XL looks really good for the price.. A 16gb card costs 500bucks. Makes it a great phone. Now all we need are some custom roms.

And no Google Play please. Im sure it would be easy to side load it. But I would love if Nokia+ Microsoft make a store together with better curation of apps to remove all the clutter. That would really cripple the Google Monopoly over android.[DOUBLEPOST=1393325300][/DOUBLEPOST]Any idea on India launch prices? Also more hardware specs?

If these phones get good developer support (custom roms with traditional back n home buttons onscreen), for the given price they would make for great vfm phones with good built n quality check.

The Nokia XL looks really good for the price.. A 16gb card costs 500bucks. Makes it a great phone. Now all we need are some custom roms.

And no Google Play please. Im sure it would be easy to side load it. But I would love if Nokia+ Microsoft make a store together with better curation of apps to remove all the clutter. That would really cripple the Google Monopoly over android.[DOUBLEPOST=1393325300][/DOUBLEPOST]Any idea on India launch prices? Also more hardware specs?
it wont be that difficult. amazon and other app delivering platform can always provide them apps.

‘Why the Nokia X Family Is Bad for Everyone’
http://daringfireball.net/linked/2014/02/28/hildenbrand-nokia-x
If these phones get good developer support (custom roms with traditional back n home buttons onscreen), for the given price they would make for great vfm phones with good built n quality check.
Unlikely to happen. Nokia can do it but at a cost and they cannot worsen their financial report any further. TBH I'm disappointed why Nokia went this way. Instead of Android they could and should improvise their Windows platform and lend more ears to the "customization" side. I feel that thats the only way in which they compete against Android. And oh launching of more "Lumias" will do little benefit. I see that only die-hard Nokia fans are sticking to nokia/windows platform.

Last edited:

Unlikely to happen. Nokia can do it but at a cost and they cannot worsen their financial report any further. TBH I'm disappointed why Nokia went this way. Instead of Android they could and should improvise their Windows platform and lend more ears to the "customization" side. I feel that thats the only way in which they compete against Android. And oh launching of more "Lumias" will do little benefit. I see that only die-hard Nokia fans are sticking to nokia/windows platform.
I think the author lost plot of the whole thing. Its replacing the asha phones. The prices you'l get these at, they will be competing with the likes of 5-6K Micromax phones. Within a few weeks you'l have proper android roms or a Cynogen rom and all these complaints will be gone. Its the Nokia Hardware that counts.

Yes maybe they could have done a better job at the UI but dual core snapdragon and 512mb ram is still pretty normal for that same budget. One good point is that the AOSP project is a few cycles behind the Kitkat, but most of it is under the hood, whether Nokia is willing to put in that effort to take it the same way remains to be seen.

The problem is that Windows has very strict hardware requirements for their phones. I don't think Nokia could have made a Windows phone with a 3MP cam. By going the Android way they can make quality smartphones at low prices. Considering that you get Karbonns and Micromax's with similar or slightly higher specs for the same price as the Nokia X series, which are tied to Google (for better or worse), the Nokia Androids are a pretty good option.

Plus by having another big company forking Android, the software can only become richer. And since most of the new neat stuff about Android is no longer open source, it's always good to have other options.

The problem is that Windows has very strict hardware requirements for their phones. I don't think Nokia could have made a Windows phone with a 3MP cam. By going the Android way they can make quality smartphones at low prices. Considering that you get Karbonns and Micromax's with similar or slightly higher specs for the same price as the Nokia X series, which are tied to Google (for better or worse), the Nokia Androids are a pretty good option.

Plus by having another big company forking Android, the software can only become richer. And since most of the new neat stuff about Android is no longer open source, it's always good to have other options.
Dont forget most Micromax and Karbonns conk off in 6-8 months or develop problems. I've seen their service centre and their service. A relative bought one, in a month sent back for a problem, got it back after 3 months, with a new problem. LOL

Have to say XL is great with 5" and so cheap. And considering we have get any launcher on this thing and sideload any .apk's , I'm sure it will get a great dev support as being the first ever android phone.
Apps can be side loaded from SD card . Stephen Elop himself said at the keynote speech.
Quick jump - watch from 2:30 min

Last edited:
Back