Nexus 7 vs Ipad mini. + Where to get cheapest nexus 7?

aka911

Skilled
I am in a lot of confusion here and hope someone helps me out

I started with a budget of 18-19k and initially wanted to buy a smartphone,but then I thought It will be better if I keep a compact phone and buy a tablet to suit my multimedia needs..

My requirements are:

> Watching HD music videos
>Reading ebooks : .chm , .prc
>reading magazines
?? web browsing

Now the issue is I think the nexus 7 has a better form factor then Ipad mini, plus I dont want the hassle of importing stuff via itunes.
Morever I am fairly into modding android to make it better.
The only negative I find is that it is priced so high in India that spending just a couple of thousand extra gets mean ipad mini.

Further confusion is by the new Nexus 7 cellular model that has appeared in certain shops for 25k.

My questions are:
1) Should I go for 3g model or not? I am still unsure If I will use it, but then it will be useful while travelling.
2)If I go for Nexus 7 wifi model only then which is the cheapest online site to get it(Indian)/ICC world
3)Is Ipad mini worth the extra 3k over Nexus 7 16 GB considering the build quality and cameras on the apple model?

If you are not comfortable with the limitations of iOS i would suggest to stay away from the iPad Mini. If you want a good reading and gaming device then the iPad Mini makes sense but it is Nexus 7 hands down if you are gonna watch a lot of HD videos.

Galaxy Tab 2 is slow! I tried all 3 at Croma. For me, each of them lagged, but i felt iPad mini to be bigger and better at Gaming,Ebooks,Music. But for Movies, Nexus wins!
if you need battery backup and are fine with lowish resolution, go for mini!

iPad Mini:

1) Better battery life
2) Much better for games
3) Better cameras
4) Better Build quality

Nexus 7:

1) More customizable
2) GPS (iPad wifi only doesn't have GPS)
3) Better orientation for movies

If you aren't brand conscious, you can checkout Ainol tablets, my friend has a Ainol Crystal which he bought for 8-9k or so. Has Android 4.2 running (Cyanogenmod). Pretty much can't tell the difference from my nexus 7. Also has HDMI out.

@manu1991 : hi manu, even i am in a same situation of getting a nexus tablet.
So can you confirm the battery life of Ainol Crystal from your friend, how is the screen quality when compared to nexus 7.

Last edited by a moderator:
iPad Mini:

1) Better battery life
2) Much better for games
3) Better cameras
4) Better Build quality

Nexus 7:

1) More customizable
2) GPS (iPad wifi only doesn't have GPS)
3) Better orientation for movies

If you aren't brand conscious, you can checkout Ainol tablets, my friend has a Ainol Crystal which he bought for 8-9k or so. Has Android 4.2 running (Cyanogenmod). Pretty much can't tell the difference from my nexus 7. Also has HDMI out.

If I decide to go for nexus 7, which will be the best place to get it. I dont have any relatives coming from stateside so will have to get it online from somewhere?

No idea. Ask quotes from ishop etc. I got mine through a relative.
@Nalin - Screen is pretty decent. I'd say nexus screen would barely be 5% better. Battery life is around 6-7 hours on moderate usage. It doesn't have GPS though.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I decide to go for nexus 7, which will be the best place to get it. I dont have any relatives coming from stateside so will have to get it online from somewhere?

You can get it from here

For 16GB :
Grabmore.in : Online Shopping of Electronics in India, Buy ASUS Google Nexus 7" Tablet with cheapest price.

For 32GB :
Grabmore.in : Online Shopping of Electronics in India, Buy ASUS Google Nexus 7" Tablet - 32GB with cheapest price.

Go with the later one as it carries 1 year Asus warranty in India.

Nalin - Screen is pretty decent. I'd say nexus screen would barely be 5% better. Battery life is around 6-7 hours on moderate usage. It doesn't have GPS though.

Then i think it is a bang for buck device , let me get my hands on it :)

There are also some other models, Fire, Elf etc. go through the specs and reviews once to see which one is best for you.

Nexus 7 I would say. iPads win only when it comes to quality of Games which I guess is not your requirement.

BTW I would suggest staying away from these sites like Grabmore, Shopyourworld etc. It would be pure harassment for you to wait for ages for your item to arrive and then ages for your refund to arrive. Just go and read reviews on the net for these 2 sites. I would suggest ebay or any other reliable site with good reviews.

I suggest you, don't go for the cheap deals rather go for the trusted deal...

I think ibhejo is one of the best place to get a nexus 7 for you...:)

I believe almost all of the above replies clears your query..

Here's something I would see before buying a mini tablet.

1. Battery Life
2. Screen Quality
3. Productivity
4. Customization
5. Performance

Battery Life -> iPad Mini
Screen quality -> Asus Nexus 7
Productivity -> iPad Mini hands down.. kudos iOS
Customization -> Asus Nexus 7 (Android Openness)
Performance -> iPad Mini.

If you are looking for more productive use, gaming, ebook reading and managing your mails and calendars, go for iPad Mini. iOS apps are far better than what we have on Play (Android apps are improving though). If you love customization, tweaks, go with Nexus 7.

No idea. Ask quotes from ishop etc. I got mine through a relative.
Nalin - Screen is pretty decent. I'd say nexus screen would barely be 5% better. Battery life is around 6-7 hours on moderate usage. It doesn't have GPS though.

iPad Mini - 1024x768 at 162dpi versus Nexus 7 (1280x800) @ 216dpi! I know which one will be sharper!

OT, If you want HD movies, then the Nexus 7 is your best bet. If you want the wider screen(7.9inch screen) then go for the iPad Mini.

Nexus I got mine in gosf for 14.5k through tradus. Tradus is running republic day 10 pc off
Asus nexus has international warranty at least mine do if google ever start voice services in india you can use groove ip for calling I think some voip solutions paid one will be there for cheap international calling

iPad Mini - 1024x768 at 162dpi versus Nexus 7 (1280x800) @ 216dpi! I know which one will be sharper!
Depends on what you are watching and how far away it is from your face ;)

Viewing distance calculator

Viewing Distances Based on Visual Acuity
Maximum Viewing Distance for HDTV(Fully resolved 1080i; 1920 x 1080) = 1.3 feet for 10.1 inch tablet
Maximum Viewing Distance for HDTV(Fully resolved 1080i; 1920 x 1080) = 0.9 feet for 7 inch tablet

Maximum Viewing Distance for NTSC/PAL(720x480/720x576) ie DVD = 3.5 feet for 10.1 inch tablet
Maximum Viewing Distance for NTSC/PAL(720x480/720x576) = 2.4 feet for 7 inch tablet

The Cheapest Nexus 7 you will get is from eBay USA .. new ones regularly go up for bid and are sold for $240 (32GB Wifi) . Get that shipped to India for $30 more.

Depends on what you are watching and how far away it is from your face ;)

Viewing distance calculator

Viewing Distances Based on Visual Acuity
Maximum Viewing Distance for HDTV(Fully resolved 1080i; 1920 x 1080) = 1.3 feet for 10.1 inch tablet
Maximum Viewing Distance for HDTV(Fully resolved 1080i; 1920 x 1080) = 0.9 feet for 7 inch tablet

Maximum Viewing Distance for NTSC/PAL(720x480/720x576) ie DVD = 3.5 feet for 10.1 inch tablet
Maximum Viewing Distance for NTSC/PAL(720x480/720x576) = 2.4 feet for 7 inch tablet
What this actually means ?

Your eyes won't see the difference beyond those distances regardless of how many pixels your screen has or whatever ppi is advertised.

A ipad4 with its resolution is good up to 15 inches from your face, go beyond that and those pixels make no difference. Touting the pixel count on the ipad say or any other with higher ppi with one that is little lower makes no difference. (720p vs 1080p)

but if you have a way to 'fix' the distance to 15 inches or less for the duration of a movie say then you will see the difference with a higher res screen. How many people can do that ?

The idea comes from HD tv, what size hd tv screen to get. How far away at the max can you sit from the scrren before you lose the ability to see the improvement 720p or 1080p offers over SD. Turns out you have to sit closer than you did in the past otherwise the difference is less. So why you spent the money then. Have to sit closer otherwse its a waste. Each screen size sets limits, want to sit further then have to get a bigger screen.

But if you want to watch SD then you have to sit further away otherwise it looks bad. So you have to adjust viewing distance depending on what you watch.

Back