New windows installation, unable to assign drive letter to Unallocated space

raksrules

Elite
So i got this new laptop today and i installed windows 7 on it. It has 500 GB HDD. It previously had some partitions. Please check capture.jpg attached here for that.

Now here there is around 389 GB of unallocated space and i cannot use it at all since there is no drive letter assigned and i cannot assign it either. I did go to the computer management under admin tools and did the right click -> new simple volume -> format NTFS (entire max size available) and i get first the error saying i need to convert the disk to dynamic and then the error about no sufficient space.

I read somewhere that converting disk to dynamic is irreversible and can cause data loss (won't be able to boot into windows ??).
Can anyone please suggest what to do and how to use the 389 GB HDD space ?[DOUBLEPOST=1376411842][/DOUBLEPOST]Not sure if it helps but i did the DISKPART command in command prompt and then did LIST DISK and i only get 1 disk as follows

DISK 0 Online 465 GB Free 0B

Free as 0B is totally confusing.
Attaching screenshot for DISK PART too[DOUBLEPOST=1376413123][/DOUBLEPOST]Downloaded a tool called MiniTool Partition wizard and when i right click the unallocated drive and click CREATE (only option available), i get as shown in attached image.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 138
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 126
  • Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 125
  • DISKPART.JPG
    DISKPART.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 136
  • minitool.JPG
    minitool.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
I think your problem is you already have 4 primary partition, just merge it with one of the existing partition. Try creating logical partition instead of those many primary partitions and see.

Ok so i tried to boot into setup (after installation) where we install windows and select the partition and such things. Here too it was not allowing me to do anything with the unallocated 389 GB. Then i stumbled upon a Yahoo answer page which mentioned about some limitation in windows to allow not more than 3 or so partitions. And i figured that i already had 3 partitions and one OEM reserved one.
So i deleted all partition except OEM one, again partitioned the HDD into only 2 Partitions of 75 GB and 389 GB and now i have got the drive letter and entire 465GB usable :)
Installed windows again on the 75GB partition and had to install all drivers again but nevertheless it worked out fine.[DOUBLEPOST=1376453672][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think your problem is you already have 4 primary partition, just merge it with one of the existing partition. Try creating logical partition instead of those many primary partitions and see.

This seems to be the most probable cause.

Back