New Phone Unlocking LAW in US

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones' started by knoughtyd, Jan 28, 2013.

1. knoughtyd

knoughtyd Privileged Users

So since 26th January, unlocking a phone in US now illegal without the carrier’s permission thanks to the recent legislation passed by the Library of Congress for the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA):|

From what I have read about it, I could conclude the following:

1. The new law and only applies to phones purchased after January 26th 2013, hence phones purchased before this date are still 100% okay to unlock.

2. If the phone ispurchased after January 26th 2013, then one has certify having the carrier's permission to unlock your Mobile device, or is unlocking a "legacy" or "older generation" cell phone out of contract.

3. This ruling is only applicable on US customers and this law can be completely ignored by clients outside of the USA in foreign countries. (Apparently is part of the DMCA ruling)​:p

4. Unlock code providing sites will/might continue to provide the codes to unlock the phones but with the condition that they wont be responsible for the customer's actions if they do not abide by the requirements.

So this was the reason why suddenly many code provider's listings were removed from eBay recently:facepalm:
  2. Mr.J

Mr.J Privileged Users

Idiots.
  3. smnrock

smnrock Privileged Users

4. raksrules

raksrules Privileged Users

5. smnrock

smnrock Privileged Users

Yes... i meant that only...
    I already use verizon iphone 5 :)
  6. cri_sss

cri_sss Upgraded User

so do this mean, we (international buyers) can buy the gsm phone and can get it unlocked legally outside USA?
  7. Spacescreamer

Spacescreamer Privileged Users

8. prateekS

prateekS Privileged Users

It doesn't affect us. Chill.
  9. knoughtyd

Recently bought an unlock code and it worked fine:) But the listing had the following disclaimer

So does this mean all the new phones sold after 26th Jan will not have an unlock code irrespective of the buyers destination(within US or outside like us):unsure:
  10. knoughtyd

Don't if this will change anything but I saw this petition on XDA and went ahead and signed. And yes anyone can sign it, we just need an valid email id and a US Zip code:)

PS: Petition closes on 23rd Feb and it requires about 16k more signs:unsure:
  11. zibalingz

zibalingz Upgraded User

12. 6pack

6pack Moderator Staff Member

US citizens are becoming like prisoners in their own country. And to think they say its the land of the free...
    all this nonsense in the name of security and for corrupt greedy corporates. USA might just turn out to become one lawless country like in their movies in the future, if politicians push such ridiculous bills in their parliament.
  13. knoughtyd

Looks like the online petition which received over 100,000 signs will be a successful one afterall with Whitehouse issuing a official statement on the petition saying that "It's Time to Legalize Cell Phone Unlocking":bigok:
    OFFICIAL WHITE HOUSE RESPONSE TO Make Unlocking Cell Phones Legal.