New Nexus 7 officially announced

vyral_143

Jarvis
Staff member
Super Mod
At Google event today New Nexus 7 is announced along with Android 4.3. Its specs are in line with rumors. They are as follows:
-7 inch display at 1920*1200 (323 ppi)
-1.5GHz Snapdragon S4 Pro SoC (APQ8064)
-2GB RAM
-5MP rear facing and 1.2MP front facing camera
-802.11 a/b/g/n
-Bluetooth 4.0
-4G LTE - band 2, 4, 5, 13, 17
-HDMI Out
-Wireless Charging

Brings restricted access limits to app for users since it also features multi-user with restricted profiles.

Pricing:
16GB $229
32GB $269
32GB 4G LTE $349

Available with retailers form 30th July and launches in UK, Germany, Japan, Canada, France, Australia, Spain and South Korea next.

Is it worth it? 1080p on a 7" :S.

Some people think it makes text appear crisper. Not obvious but maybe once you are used to it and then move to HD. Might make a difference with games as the screen will be only ~a foot away from your face which is what you're going to be doing with a 7 incher and 32GB onboard storage. No point in going for a 16GB model though i wouldn't be surprised if thats what we get offered in india :mad:

GSM comparison

Dual band wifi
1080p screen
Slightly better camera though on a tab it does not matter.
Lighter by 30 gms which is ~10% so you will notice it.
i think the S4 switch from tegra and 1080p from 720p means battery life will be similar.

No SD card so google has not changed their views about external storage.

And lastly, the critical bit, 2GB RAM instead of just 1GB means better upgrade possibilities. You could possibly mitigate this barrier with some with very lean builds.

The good thing if i got this right is, ASUS has intl. warranty.

I was never expecting an external storage from Google. Ever.

I think their entire strategy is to get people online. Google Drive, Sky Drive etc. And with the speeds here..Its no big thing.

I may be wrong.

I think their entire strategy is to get people online. Google Drive, Sky Drive etc. And with the speeds here..Its no big thing.

I may be wrong.
Yes, you are right. Google's main goal is to get people online; that is where their core business lies.

If you want an external storage option, maybe you should wait for Asus to release a similar specced tablet with their own brand name. They always do that.

I may be wrong.

Yes because of the awesome Internet at home and mobile (LTE) in USA the always online thing works. Here in India we would probably never see this.
Cloud streaming and always online is privilege of few here.

The lack of external storage according to me means allowing the OS to operate in controlled environment.
The Google devices need to perform flawlessly and the external memory cards wont allow that imo.

All this free 7-xxGB skydrive , dropbox storage are of little value (to me at least), we dont have access to internet with fast internet speed :( .

^ Even then, as a standalone device, the new Nexus 7 is awesome!

I didn't hear anyone complain when the iPad didn't allow external storage, then why are people crying now? I know and understand, that the whole philosophy behind Android is openness and the user's freedom to play around with their device. But come on, we are seeing such amazing hardware coupled with superb software, with plenty of storage to boot.

Now I am just waiting to see what Amazon bring to the table with their next gen Kindle Fire tablets, and of course what Apple does with the new iPads.

Available on ebay india for Rs 18,800(16 GB) and Rs 21,850.00(32 GB) before applying discount coupon. How much will be the approx cost in case we import it here, both for 16 GB and 32 GB?

Ishopinternational quoted INR 20375 for 16GB model.

Unfortunately Amazon is not yet delivering these to India otherwise that would be the best way.

Back