PC Peripherals Need recommendations for a 500-600w PSU

psyph3r

Skilled
Which is a good one these days ?
Need to get one for a friend, know the GS600 was good a few years back, can't find it anywhere though.
Kindly list alternatives, thanks in advance

I believe this would suit your purpose well -
Seasonic S12II 520

Thanks, that was the first one that came to my mind too.
Still looking for a 600w alternative, it's going to be the Seasonic if i don't find one.

Last edited:
Thanks, that was the first one that came to my mind too.
Still looking for a 600w alternative, it's going to be the Seasonic if i don't find one.

There is a Sesonic 630W version too, why are you apprehensive about Seasonic, it is a OEM for Corsair et al with high quality PSUs.

There is a Sesonic 630W version too, why are you apprehensive about Seasonic, it is a OEM for Corsair et al with high quality PSUs.

Yea i know, not apprehensive or anything just looking for a 600w option first. Will take a look at the 620w one you mentioned, thanks.
Just strange that there aren't many alternatives in this range like the old HX620 or GS600, Corsair ones available here are either enthusiast or entry level ones, nothing to fill in the gap.

For me corsair always comes first to mind for any PC peripheral. I would definitely recommend the same to you too. If you could spend a bit more then get gold edition which are energy efficient.
Corsair = peace of mind

Just strange that there aren't many alternatives in this range like the old HX620 or GS600
Corsair's GS series was never good, and is nowhere in the same league as the HX series. In fact the GS is what helped Corsair retire the mid-range TX and HX series, when in fact its nothing more than a glorified CX series.

Corsair's GS series was never good, and is nowhere in the same league as the HX series. In fact the GS is what helped Corsair retire the mid-range TX and HX series, when in fact its nothing more than a glorified CX series.

Definitely not in the same league as the HX but it was a good vfm PSU, we had ordered around 20 units for 4700 each for office and they are still running great after all these years and the PC's are on almost 24/7.
The prices of the new HX, TX and RM ones are just painful to look at even for the low power variants, well Seasonic 520 it is.

Last edited:
go for a seasonic 520w or 620w. they use the best quality components of the lot.
can you list out the specs (cpu+gpu) of the system this is needed for?

Ordered the Seasonic 620w one earlier, a bit overkill but my friend's a noob so didn't wanna confuse/spook him further with a molex to 6-pin converter.
4440+h97+970, almost bought a z board + 32 gigs of ram before I intervened :p

@psyph3r sorry for hijacking your thread.

@Crazy_Eddy and other experts - I am in the market for a PSU, all of a sudden post installation of the latest nVidia Witcher drivers(352.xx), my computer has started restarting while playing the game, it wasnt happening earlier, I did rollback, but the problem persists, I have a feeling it is the PSU. The restarts are really odd, the doesn't reboot instantaneously, it shut down and starts up after like 5-7 mins.
The incumbent is a TX750, based on my calculations, I require a 414W PSU, I am thinking of getting the S12 530W, I also saw the Antec VP650 in the similar price range, which one would you recommend? Are there better quality PSU in the same range?

First check your mobo. I was in exacy same situation and my mobo was culprit.

I checked with 2 psus and finally zeroed down on mobo.

Last edited:
@psyph3r sorry for hijacking your thread.

@Crazy_Eddy and other experts - I am in the market for a PSU, all of a sudden post installation of the latest nVidia Witcher drivers(352.xx), my computer has started restarting while playing the game, it wasnt happening earlier, I did rollback, but the problem persists, I have a feeling it is the PSU. The restarts are really odd, the doesn't reboot instantaneously, it shut down and starts up after like 5-7 mins.
The incumbent is a TX750, based on my calculations, I require a 414W PSU, I am thinking of getting the S12 530W, I also saw the Antec VP650 in the similar price range, which one would you recommend? Are there better quality PSU in the same range?

Are you sure your card isn't overheating ? I had a similar problem in my system around the time Crysis came out.
My pc would shut down w/o any warning while playing demanding games, after much troubleshooting the problem was solved by pulling the cabby out of the corner and leaving the side panel open while gaming :p
I haven' t had any overheating problems ever since so I don't know what kind of warnings you get now after the PC restarts but I sure didn't get any back then.

Are you sure your card isn't overheating ? I had a similar problem in my system around the time Crysis came out.
My pc would shut down w/o any warning while playing demanding games, after much troubleshooting the problem was solved by pulling the cabby out of the corner and leaving the side panel open while gaming :p
I haven' t had any overheating problems ever since so I don't know what kind of warnings you get now after the PC restarts but I sure didn't get any back then.

I dont think its overheating, the CPU(i2500k) maxes out at ~65C on load and the GPU is new 970 maxes out at ~74C, this is with the side panel open :). It happened again last night when I was playing Witcher 3, I turned off 'Anti-surge protection' played for an hour after that, it was fine. I need further testing to confirm if the setting change made the difference, also not sure what impact that may have on the system!

Corsair GS and CX series PSU's are the reason why I have lost faith in Corsair PSU's. They had very good line up of VX series 450, 550 series PSU. VX 450 was often compared with other 600W PSU's.
Then came the CX and GS series to maligne Corsair's reputation. GS series had different OEM and lower quality components than VX and HX series.

My 7 years old Corsair VX450 has just gone kaput. Have Seasonic S12 620W on other system. Will most probably go for Seasonic S12 520.

Last edited:
Corasair GS and CX series PSU's is the reason I have lost faith in Corsair PSU's. They had very good line up of VX series 450, 550 series PSU. VX 450 was often compared with other 600W PSU's.
Then came the CX and GS series to maligne Corsair's reputation. GS series had different OEM and lower quality components than VX and HX series.

My 7 years old Corsair VX450 has just gone kaput. Have Seasonic S12 620W on other system. Will most probably go for Season S12 520.
Yea, I think they switched from Seasonic to CWT. But, the CX series had taken a lot of flak over the years.
I'm on the good old VX450 myself, probably the best vfm PSU ever.
What exactly happened to yours ?
The vx 450 was the Seasonic oem and hence the iconic stability and reliability.

I have zeroed in it being a PSU issue, I switched with a cx430 and the system is working fine, so what do you think about the vp650p? The Seasonic prices have been inflated off late.

that's right. even xfx used them as oem suppliers too but not anymore. corsair now uses a mix of oem's non of which are able to match seasonics' quality unfortunately.
I have been doing some reading lately, is Seasonic the undisputed number one PSU manufacturer? What about other tier 1 manufacturers like delta, CWT and a fee others, none of them match up to Seasonic?

My Corsair VX550 is still going strong after 5 years thanks to Seasonic with a i5 4430 and GTX 760.

I will be upgrading in the next ge and I think then I will have to go up to 620W Seasonic.

Back