Need More info for Chrome OS (Chromebook)

Hi All,

Recently Chrome has launched its Chromebook.

I want to buy the Acer one @ $299, but before that i want to know what kinda features will it will have apart from listed ones:

1. Instant Web (8 second boot time)
  2. Cloud Storage.
  3. Nice 3G / Wifi Connectivity
  4. Multi login feature(like windows)
  5. Updates itself automatically
  6. Amazing web apps

My concern is mainly for :

1. Editing of MS-Office files(excel, word, ppt).
2. Multimedia entertainment, HD movies playback.
3. Little Gaming if supported.
& Few more

Newegg is also offering chromebook
Newegg.com - Skip straight to the good stuff

looking for info related to queries by the OP.

1)editing documents
2)watching movies

are there apps in the store for these?

Well, for editing documents, you could use the Google docs or spreadsheet instead. It however might not have all the bells and whistles of Microsoft's products but it will do the job.

About watching movies and listening to music, Chrome OS has an offline mode which could play content from a USB drive or SSD. Here is a link for more information.

It's decent for the price it's going for, but it's better to increase your budget by a few thousand rupees and get a decent notebook. You can use Chrome browser on it to have the same functionality.

Well, for editing documents, you could use the Google docs or spreadsheet instead. It however might not have all the bells and whistles of Microsoft's products but it will do the job.

About watching movies and listening to music, Chrome OS has an offline mode which could play content from a USB drive or SSD. Here is a link for more information.

Also, the ChromeOS dev channel has gained ability to edit natively word, excel and powerpoint files. Check out the link here.
Also, follow this guy for ChromeOS improvements and developments.

Disclaimer: I have not used a Chromebook, so all my inputs are from what I have read on the internet.

Back