Need Help with Reduced LAN Transfer Speeds

monkee

Gamer, Tweaker, and such.
Adept
Hey guys,

I seem to be having a problem that I can't figure out on my own and is very general to search on the internet.

First, an introduction about my internet setup at home.

BSNL Modem (AN1020-20) --> WRT150N ( DDWRT ) --> Nexus 7, G2, 2 laptops, etc.
BSNL Modem (AN1020-20) --> My Desktop

Modem -> 192.168.1.1 ( runs DHCP )
Router -> 192.168.1.2 ( does not run DHCP )
PC -> xxx.xxx.x.101

Plan, BSNL's ULD1350 with 4mbps till about 20GB and 512k after.

I set this up properly a long time ago, but lately I've been having some serious problems and I don't know what's the cause.

Earlier, with this setup, transferring stuff to my tablet and phone used to run at the max wifi speed, ie ~28-32mbps or so. Used Wifi File Explorer Pro and AirDroid.

Now, I have a huge issue. I'm simply unable to transfer files at such speeds anymore and it just transfers at 4mbps ( I usually get around 3.3-3.4 mbps on my plan ) over LAN. I haven't changed anything as such on the modem and router in terms of settings except implementing a youtube filter on the wifi.

When my files have transferred at the max capable speed for so long, why are they transferring at my plan speeds over LAN? Also, accessing my router's pages is taking a long time for some reason. This has been happening only over the past couple of months, and while I didn't pay attention to it, it's really bothering me now.

If I'm missing some information, I'd be glad to provide it.

Regards,

monkee.

-------------

Is it possible Homegroup Sharing can mess this up?

-------------

Oh man. Never mind. I figured it out. Turns out I had enabled QoS on my router for httpvideo which ended up limiting my video transfer speeds over wifi. I had originally wanted to limit my video bandwidth which left enough for playing games. Guess I was just too stupid to figure this out.

first of all your setup is not the recommended one.dhcp needs to be enabled in router & not modem since it is router which is supposed to do the routing in a modem+router setup with modem acting only as bridge/bridge mode.also you have set overlapping ip address of modem & router.again the usual way to do this is set modem ip as 192.168.1.1 & set router as 192.168.2.1 & enable dhcp to assign ip in the range 192.168.2.x.modem will just act as bridge while router will dial your connection by using your bsnl usernsme/password.this setup is also easier to configure/manage when it comes to port forwarding & other stuff.i still suggest changing to this setup unless you absolutely hate doing anything with your current setup.

I need all devices to be on the same subnet for full LAN access. It hardly matters if DHCP is provided by the modem or the router. The router is merely a wireless AP for the clients. PC is directly hooked up to the modem. And I don't port forward since my PC is on the modem and all the ports are open on BSNL anyway. And I don't want to have to configure my router to dial the BSNL connection. I'm not even sure it can do it.

Anyway, I figured out what the problem was and I fixed it. Thanks for your help.

in that case no problem since it works for you.btw port forward is must if you use your modem in pppoe mode(in which modem dials the connection,all ports are open on ISP anyway) but a way around this is by enabling UPnP in modem(which is on by default in many modems) which will take care of port forwarding automatically for UPnP capable devices/softwares(like utorrent in which UPnP is enabled by default).i don't use UPnP because it is a bit of security risk since it exposes your internal network to outside world/internet but if you use a good software firewall like comodo then it's fine.also all routers have the capability to dial connection,see here for example:
http://www.tp-link.us/article/?faqid=143

Back