Budget 51-70k Need all rounder but gaming oriented download rig

saurabh88

Disciple
  1. What is your budget?
    • 60K CAN STRETCH 70K
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - amd athelon x640 quad core
    • Motherboard - msi
    • GPU - ATI HD6670
    • RAM - Transcend 4 gb 1333 mhz
    • Monitor - Dell 17 inch
    • PSU - vip400 watt
    • (please mention the rest in above format)
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - IPS SCREEN DONT KNOW BRAND
    • PSU - Corsair OR ANY SUFFICIENT 500 W
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - IntEL ONLY
    • Motherboard - any compatible motherboard
    • GPU - FOR FUTURE MINIMUM 3 YEARS HIGH END GAMING
    • PSU - Best Power Supply Units
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months
    • SMPS - 600W
    • Cabinet - HELP ME TO DECIDE
    • RAM - 8 GB
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • AHMEDABAD
    • Open to online purchase IF WARRANTY IS NO ISSUE
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Browsing
    • Desktop Processing
    • Download rig, 24x7 operation
    • Watching HD movies YOU TUBES
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • NO AMD .HAD IT AND HAVE SO MANY PROBLEMS THAN INTEL
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Strategy - Civilization 4, cod ghost, withcer,fifa 15,crysis 3
    • Racing - Grid high settings to max
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - full hd
    2. Desktop - full hd
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • dont know exactly
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 8.1/10

cpu + mobo; core i5 + b85 based board (~20k) Note; avoid gigabyte as they launch a good product and after reviews they replace it with cheaper/fewer components.
ram; 8gb ~5k
gpu - gtx 970 (~28k+) or r9 290 (~30k+) Note; new cards will be announced in early june
psu - Seasonic S12II 520w ~5k
cabinet - decent quality cabonets start at 2-3k+. reliable brands are corsair, cooler master, nzxt, antec, lian-li (there's a bunch more but i can't remember)

• CPU - Intel Core i5 4440 -12500,
  • Motherboard - MSI H97M-G43 -6900,
  • GPU - Asus GTX 970 4GB -28500,
  • RAM - Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1600Mhz -4600,
  • Monitor - AOC i2276vwm -8800,
  • PSU - Seasonic S12II 520w -5000,
  • Cabinet - Antec GX300 Window -3700,
  • KB Combo - Cooler Master Devastator Gaming Bundle -3000.
  • TOTAL -73,000.

Please beware a gaming rig should never be your download rig. The rig needs to cool off sometimes and with high power draw it's bad for environment and pockets to be run as a download machine.

Please beware a gaming rig should never be your download rig. The rig needs to cool off sometimes and with high power draw it's bad for environment and pockets to be run as a download machine.

I'm sorry but this is wrong information. when downloading anything your cpu and gpu are not being stressed and so their power draw will be close to idle. This advice is only valid for a bitcoin mining rig.

I'm sorry but this is wrong information. when downloading anything your cpu and gpu are not being stressed and so their power draw will be close to idle. This advice is only valid for a bitcoin mining rig.

Do you realise that the smps has losses unless its gold rated (even then the losses would be reasonably high for a gaming smps)? Please check on power usage of an i5 haswell at idle (typically around 30w) and you would know you don't have to just pay so much bills when a raspberry pi or banana pi can do the trick for you. The rig which you have suggested would be drawing at least 50-60 W with all the cooling still running (definitely not worth it to be running as a download server)

Makes no sense when you have an option and the pi will earn for itself in a year. The PC would need some down time so that the components will be in top shape. The chip has a fixed MTBF and leaving it running even at idle temps would always degrade the components. Maybe if its someone who changes the PC every other year then not really a problem, but not advised for ppl who wants it to chug well for at least 2 or 3 years.

For sake of calculations if he runs the machine even for 18 hrs at idle (downloads) it would cost him Rs. 200 as electricity charges. Even if he can afford that, not good for the environment is it?

I agree with Ranjith. Get a Raspberry Pi/Banana Pi/Odroid C1 for downloading. Even at 100% processor usage, these will consume 11W only. So they will be very cheap to run over the long run.
These boards hardly cost 3-4k and considereing cost of case and power adapter to be 1k, total price will be less than 5k.

I am not sure if desktop motherboards support switchable graphics like in laptops. If they don't then even when the rig is downloading, the gfx card will continue to run. That is a waste of power and resources.

Back