Need advice on Laptops based on AMD APUs

Gauge

Adept
Hey all,

I am looking forward to purchase a notebook.

Budget - ~30,000 INR

was going through the other similar threads on the forum and really got fascinated by the response AMD APUs have got.

I have finally zeroed-in to these three,

http://www.flipkart.com/asus-x-seri...6A--&ref=32b77df7-0af8-4244-bfe2-ac2c829887d2

http://www.flipkart.com/hp-pavilion...6g--&ref=c5d3c7ae-d95a-4781-bb22-ec903ada8c23

http://www.flipkart.com/hp-pavilion..._A--&ref=ed273a2d-f2e1-4c74-8605-7e55cf8941cd

but i am confused among these three. I really need your help to decide to settle on any of these.

Asus one has a USB 3.0 + a tempting price, but very bad viewing angles.

HP ones look similar, one of these has got great reviews on Flipkart.

Any laptops with A8 APUs also available? or any other laptop with beter config in the said budget?

OP, just remember they are moderately priced as the OS offered is Free Dos in the Asus one and Win 7 Basic in HP ones. IMO, you'd want to install a better OS which may increase the overall cost (or not if you get linux).

Comparing on other things, the hp G6-1313AX offers a bit better processor but not sure how it performs in real world situations. The Asus has a better gpu with the G6-1209AX coming in second place. But you get only 2gb ram with Asus which is a pity.

I have read many times that intel processors give you a better performance in the same price range (probably an i3). But as you have not provided any specific requirements, it is hard to suggest one.

I still cant decide amongst these three.

2 GB ram isnt a problem for me. I'll upgrade it later on. But, the only thing which is stopping me to go for Asus is the bad viewing angles i have seen on another notebook with better config. Can any Asus owner shed some light on this?

Which of the two in case of HP is better?

And is it really that i3 equipped machines in the same league perform better than A6?

And is there any good laptop available with i5 and a dedicated GPU withing 30-32k price range?

Screen size doesnt matter. Preferably 14" or 15.6".

Im too very much interested in the Asus X53TA. It has A6 3400 which is ... ok proccy even though a quad, has only 1.4ghz. has 6520 GPU on APU( with 400 SP) , and has an HD 6650 1GB 128 bit descerete graphics( 480 SP). You have the option to switch b/w integrated GPU on APU, ie the 6520 or CF config b/w the 6650&6520= 6720G2 with a total of 880SP.

For other models, take a look at the Sony (http://www.flipkart....OMD2FG7GQF9GYHP). i3 (2.2 GHz) +

NVIDIA GeForce 410M GPU for 31.3k​

Geforce 410 comes nowhere near. its a 48SP with 64 bit memory interface GPU, not even comparable to the AMD integrated hd 6520 on an A6 or the HD 6480 on the A4.

The assymetrical crossfire, ie the HD 6720, in terms of performance is placed higher than nvidia GT 540M and Geforce 630M and somewhat same as HD 5770 mobility and will be slightly less then Geforce 550M.

I will be upgrading to 2*4GB as soon as i get this.

Also, you can oc the AMD lappy's APU easily and after OC to 2Ghz on all cores, it can beat i3 3120 in cpu performance as well. On a quick serach, found this lappy doesnt heat on OC> You can use a cooling pad if needed for sustained OC.

I still cant decide amongst these three.

2 GB ram isnt a problem for me. I'll upgrade it later on. But, the only thing which is stopping me to go for Asus is the bad viewing angles i have seen on another notebook with better config. Can any Asus owner shed some light on this?

Which of the two in case of HP is better?

And is it really that i3 equipped machines in the same league perform better than A6?

And is there any good laptop available with i5 and a dedicated GPU withing 30-32k price range?

Screen size doesnt matter. Preferably 14" or 15.6".

HP g6 1209AX with A6 3400 has HD 6470M GPU, which has 160 SP and the model has only 10/100 ethernet, and not a gigabit either. And the HP one with A6 3420 APU, does not even have a dedicated gpu, neither a gigabit port.

pros os Asus X53TA are:

A6 3400 quad core

2* ram slot

dedicated hd 6650 in CF with HD 6520

gigabit ethernet

USB 3.0

no OS, so lesser price

good cooling > http://www.digitalversus.com/laptop/asus-x53ta-p12602/test.html

altec lansing speakers

cons: lesser viewing angles

service by rashi

worst web cam 0.3MP

#dOm1naTOr , so Asus is a good buy. I'd be placing order with Flipkart in a day or two.

Also, i saw your post on the other forum in the ex-te-dealer's thread. I may warn you if you havent placed order with him yet. The guy takes ages to ship and communication is really poor. So avoid him and spend few bucks extra to peace of mind.
<

Thanks for explaining everything and clearing all my doubts,

#s_anuj Thanks a lot mate for your input. You really helped me to set my decision.

ok bro, and thanx for the warning. I will think again to where do i buy from. I have infact bought quiet some stuffs from him, way back in days when he was a dealer here. But fk deal is just 650/- more, im leaning towards fk now.

And heard complains on this model, that it detects and shows only HD 6520 only no sign on hd 6650. Found that inorder for the hd 6650 to show and work, you need to install chipset drivers from asus website itself, and ATI drivers from ati site wont work. seems like a specific bug on the bios, and will probably be fixed on next bios update.

will be ordering it through fk today. Confused wheter I should go for transcend ram via fk for 1.1k. corsair is just 80 bucks more but out of stock. transcend is just as reliable as corsair, but in case of RMA, im afraid if they ll be as prompt. I plan on OCing as well.

as per the images on fk, corsair ones has hynix chips
<

transcend one has micron and gskill ones has hynix as well
<

which one should i trust for OCing needs? and ive no idea how much OC features are provided in the lappy, but have seen many successful in ocing the cpu to 2.1Ghz base clock.

on a quick search, found the micron 1333 rams oc well, unlike hynix. and transcend modules will come with either micron/samsung/jetram chips, which all are better than hynix. SO going for the transcend modules.

will be upgrading to an ssd for the lappy soon, as it has USB 3.0 for fast and large storage needs.

update: ordered via fk for 27.1k:)

#dOm1naTOr , Congrats bro on your purchase. I'd be joining you by end of this week (will be placing the order tomorrow). Do update here when you recieve it, and also post some impressions as well. Pics are a MUST. :-D

So, what RAM did you go for? Can you please redirect me to the same? I'd be getting the same most likely. The total after it would be 6 Gb, Right?

I am a noob wuth this RAM installation thing. Some more info on this will be appreciated. :)

I've also noted your points regarding the driver part as well. I'll keep you updated and will ping you if i'd need some help.

Hope fk delivers soon! Congrats again! :)

im planning on writing a review of the same here. ANd yes, will post pics of ram upgrade. WIll be getting 2*4gb sticks, and will put the stock 2gb to rest. It will be needed incase of any warranty claim on lappy i guess.

havnt ordered the rams yet. will be ordering in a day or two.

Back