My Red Stallion

F3niX

TechH0LiC
Skilled
I just bought my Red Stallion. The Yamaha FZ Home! :)
My first Ride. A newbie rider now, but I plan to advance to super biking in 2-3 years.
Check the pics over here.

My View:
Being a newbie, I was slightly afraid of biking at first. But when I picked up the momentum, i started loving it a lot. My first ride on this beast was simply awesome :D Excellent pickup, superb handling. Fule efficiency? Well, I have not bothered yet. It just clocked about 20 kms. Let me ride more to find out ;)
To all the bikers out there, would love to have some advice. Ordered gloves. But need your help with other gear :)

Attachments

• WP_20130517_001.jpg
    WP_20130517_001.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 363
  • WP_20130517_002.jpg
    WP_20130517_002.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 354
  • WP_20130517_004.jpg
    WP_20130517_004.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 364
First of all congrats buddy on the new ride.
Will list the priorities -

1- helmet (look for something costlier and full faced).
2 - maintainence tools ( polish , cleansing shampoo etc). Good bike cover as well.

Bike cover.. Using an old blanket for today - classic style:p Need to buy one.
Also helmet. Which brand do you suggest? My budget is not much. Right now around 1K.

Congrats on the steed mate.

A really nice bike if you can forgive the mileage.

1. Helmet[Vega, Studds, etc], this should be at the very top of your list, Please.
2. Couple of 3M micro fiber cloths, Cleaning Shampoo, Chain Spray [if u live in a dusty area], Polish [not necessary as of now], in that order.
3. If you go on long drives [read 150kms+] then do get a basic Jacket.

And most imp of all, pls do ride with care. People are waiting back home. :)

Never skimp on the helmet. LS2/Rjays/Cross/Nuovo are all brands within 2-4k and should be considered. Full face helmets should be the only kind that should be considered by you.

Bike cover.. Using an old blanket for today - classic style:p Need to buy one.
Also helmet. Which brand do you suggest? My budget is not much. Right now around 1K.

Dont shirk on the budget for a helmet. If you can buy a 80 odd k bike then i believe you are perfectly capable of buying a 4 odd k helmet.
You will thank your lucky stars that you paid the extra 3 k someday.

Never go to buy helmets from those road side vendors, those who have lots of helmets placed on the roadside on top of the boxes. They also sell those sunglasses etc.
If you have a frequent pillion rider (gf/wife etc) then get a helmet for them too. I have 2 helmets at my home and i compulsorily make my wife wear the helmet however short the ride is.

Well right now I am going for a Vega Offroad helmet. This helmet will be used for 6 months.. Will save up and buy an LS2 then.
How is this guys? Is it fine? Or shall I Go with this for starters : Studds Chrome

Vega offroad helmets tends to catch air when travelling at speeds, Its very annoying.
Never ever go for a helmet with out visor. With trucks spraying everything from dust to mud,visor is a must .If you travel a lot please opt for a light weight helmet or your neck will complain.
Simple advise.. that's it.

Tips on choosing a helmet -

1) Check if the helmet fits you snuggly - tight and doesnt shake in other directions if you shake your head with the helmet on. oh yes, wear the helmet and sahke your head to test this :)
2) ISI mark are shitty local makes, avoid it. The smart Indian cops only know about ISI and they arent aware of LS2 and AVGs.. So dont bother/heed much about the cop evasion but try to protect your head.
3) Buy a coloured hemlet, in your case a red with while or red and black ones will look awesome. Ofcourse its not for being flashy and sporty alone. Its for being detectable in dark rather than a plain and simple black colored helmet that can be easily missed which can turn fatal.

Make sure you do not drop your helmet, if you drop it hard once, consider that ur helmet is gone for the toss and its time to buy a new one. Helmets become brittle if it drops and a helmet is for one accident use only..

Thanks everyone. After a lot of discussion, taking the Studds Rhyno with Decor for now.
Will take an LS2 by year end. Placed an order. Hopefully I get it this week

Congrats on the bike, mate. The Studds Rhyno is a good choice, considering your budget. Build quality of Studds is far better than that of Vega across their respective range of helmets. Try to upgrade to an LS2 or even a Cross within a year, it's worth the moolah.

Get the el cheapo Pro biker gloves available on Ebay. While they're definitely not good in high speed crashes, they provide adequate protection for minor bumps and falls. In addition to this, get the (fake) AXO elbow and knee guards available on ebay as well. These cost around 700 and will cover most impact areas of your body in the event of an unfortunate crash.

Yeah I Ordered Pro Biker gloves along with it.
About knee and elbow guards, Well I dont intend to cross 50 anytime soon, and considering the bike, I Doubt I will ever fall down. But I will keep it in mind and will buy one soon..

Back