MTNL Broadband: Sharing internet for 2 PCs - using DSL-502T Modem

clubspades

Disciple
Hi all. I am about to buy a new comp for my home. What would be the simplest way to share my MTNL broadband connection, so that both PCs may access it (simultaneously also sometimes). Do i need to get a LAN card in-built into my new comp? My earlier one does not have one.

Modem: DSL-502T Modem

Can either of these options work:
a) Connect old comp through USB port of modem and new one LAN card through ethernet port of the modem. Will this allow both PCs to access net together?
b) Buy a 'switch' as suggested in some earlier posts. Can it be used directly? And what exactly is it.
c) Use a 'USB-USB cable'Connecting Two PCs Using a USB-USB Cable | Hardware Secrets Is this available here, and how much does it cost.

Would appreciate your help in choosing a simple and cost effective option. Thanks.

a) It should work but I don't think its possible to use USB & LAN port on router at same time. I tried that, one one PC got Internet access at a time. I might be wrong, as others to confirm

b) Switch might be a overkill for this purchase.get Network Hub instead. if you want a more cheaper solution. get this RJ45 Splitter. however your old PC might need a LAN card which would cost about 200bucks. so in about 300bucks max, you are ready. I would suggest to go this way.

c) Avoid this.

d) This is another option: Upgrade your router. buy one which has multiple LAN ports. like this model:http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/WiredRouters/RP614.aspx

Hope it helps

your new PC, if you are buying new. Will have Lan inbuilt, alomost all systems these days have one.

clubspades said:
Do i need to get a LAN card in-built into my new comp?

Yes, have LAN card on your PC.

But you can also have wifi LAN card to use wifi internet connection. But you will need wifi modem also.

OS is not a problem. You can have any OS and can be different.

Can either of these options work:

a) Connect old comp through USB port of modem and new one LAN card through ethernet port of the modem. Will this allow both PCs to access net together?

Will work... but avoid this method.

USB connection will face frequent disconnection problem.

b) Buy a 'switch' as suggested in some earlier posts. Can it be used directly? And what exactly is it.

Yes, get a switch or a HUB (little cheaper).

But switch is recommended.

c) Use a 'USB-USB cable'Connecting Two PCs Using a USB-USB Cable | Hardware Secrets Is this available here, and how much does it cost.

This is not recommended.

USB connection will face frequent disconnection problem.

Also, this will act as tree topology which is not recommended for you.

Would appreciate your help in choosing a simple and cost effective option. Thanks.

simple and best...

Buy a switch. get LAN card with new PC, create start topology network.

cheers..

Thank u both for the suggestions. I bought the new desktop recently from nehru place. So, now there is urgency to get it online too. A Hub is for about 400, and a Switch for abt 500. So better to go for Switch i think. Added will be two extra costs for me: a) LAN card for old desktop b) Cost of wire

I will be more specific with my setup:

Old comp is a desktop, with DSL502 Router placed near it. It does not have LAN card. Currently net connected thru a USB wire to the USB port of the Router. I have bought a new desktop, and it has a inbuilt LAN card.

The problem is that the new comp is placed abt 15-20 meters away from the old one. Can you guide me what further hardware i need to buy to enable net access on both.

- I understand that buying a LAN card for the older one is seemingly a must.

- If i go for a LAN card (for old comp) + a Switch from nehru place, it means an investment of abt 800, including installing cost. Will i be able to get a ethernet wire that is of the required length?

As per your replies, my option (a) will not work it seems. Or i can try it out by buying only ethernet wire and installing LAN card on old desktop. (And buying Switch later, if this doesnt work).

Is it of any use to approach MTNL? Is the DSL502 router standard, or can i request them for a router with more than one LAN ports (and buy a LAN card for old comp+ wire)

Thanks.

Edit:

Just read this article. Can this be done? i would save on buying the Switch.

http://en.kioskea.net/contents/configuration-reseau/partage-connexion-internet.php3

Gaurish said:
b) Switch might be a overkill for this purchase.get Network Hub instead. if you want a more cheaper solution. get this RJ45 Splitter. however your old PC might need a LAN card which would cost about 200bucks. so in about 300bucks max, you are ready. I would suggest to go this way.
did you read my post? if yes then you don't be asking such questions

Hi. Went to NP yesterday and got the hardware needed.
Cost implication:
LAN card (for old comp) + installation = 350
Long ethernet wire + 1 meter wires x2 = 200
RJsplitter = 20

Installed the wires as: Modem wire goes into the one side socket of Splitter. Wires to the two comps go into the side-by-side sockets on other side of Splitter. Checked the connections, and fortunately got the net working on both computers independently!

A problem i am facing is that as soon as i connect both the comps to the Splitter, the net stops working in either. As soon as i unplug any one comp's wire coming into the Splitter, the net on other one starts working. What do i need to configure to get the modem to be shared by both comps, and to avoid the nuisance of having to plug and unplug in socket by turns?

While setting up, should i give the same IP to both comps or different ones? (Right now i have given diff IP to the new one).

One detail i can add.. The working of internet on both my comps also seems dependent on the "DNS Client" service. Moment i turn on the service, ping STOPS going. And as soon as i turn off the service, ping starts working again.

Thanks in advance.

Back