Monitors monitor shuts off automatically - help needed

rakesh_ic

ex-Mod
Hi All,

I am facing a weird problem of monitor going off automatically. The monitor shuts off (as if I have pressed the monitor off button) randomly while I am using the pc and I will have to press the power button of the monitor to switch it on again.
There is no sound or any freeze experienced in the process and everything looks very normal. its just that I have to switch back the monitor on. :S
icon_sad.gif

My rig -
PSU:: Corsair Tx650 (6 months old)
CPU:: i5 2500K/2 x 4GB vengeance Ram/ Biostar TZ68+ board (6 months old)
GPU:: Sapphire 7870 2GB (5 days old)
UPS:: 1KV APC (1 year old)

I thought the issue was with my new GPU and so gave it for RMA already
icon_sad.gif
and when I returned back home and switched the pc on I faced the issue again.

Now what might be the culprit -

1) Motherboard ?? (but there is no freeze or any other symptoms)
2) Ram ?? (can this cause monitor switch off)
3) GPU?? (No way - ruled out)
4) UPS to monitor power chord ?? (can be - but I checked by pulling off the power chord and placing it back while the sys is on. when I plugged the power back to the monitor, it auto powered on without me switching on the monitor using power on. So this may not be the issue)
5) Any driver related issues ??
6) Power management settings?? (changed it to never sleep/turnoff)
7) Windows 8 update issues?? :)S)
8) Any others??

Please suggest me something.. I am in desperate need of ideas.

note:: While I typed all these my monitor never switched off.
Regards,

- - - Updated - - -

bump.. the monitor went off randomly four times after my post so far.. Is it the PSU???
icon_sad.gif
any ideas?? some suggestions??? please guys

- - - Updated - - -

does wrong bios settings cause such issues?? I have defaulted it all again now.. will update if I find the issue again

From my limited knowledge, it's most probably the power board of the monitor itself, or the power adapter of the monitor, or the VGA cable. This is based on the content I googled when I had a similar problem some time back. Fortunately for me, the problem solved itself in a couple of days. So I'm not 100% certain about the fix. So I'd really wait for someone else to second this.

Here's my earlier thread for you to check if the symptoms match.

I removed the GC and sent it to RMA thinking that its my GC.. but as I mentioned in my op post, it wasn't the culprit and the monitor was switching off without GC. #kidrow - looks like you are right on this..

thanks for the reply guys.. I can safely say that the issue is with my monitor and its power board as suggested by #kidrow . Now my monitor auto swith itself on while I am switching it off manually at times :p. which confirms the issue

@rakesh_ic - Tag another member with @ & not #.

So did you give it in for repairs? Asking just so I can get an idea about how much it'll cost, since I'm considering repairing mine as well. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
@kidrow - yes. The samsung guy came and replaced the front power panel. As it was under warranty I dint incur any cost. Otherwise its 450/- for service change and 150/- for the panel

- - - Updated - - -

mods please close this thread as the issue is resolved.

Last edited by a moderator:
kidrow - yes. The samsung guy came and replaced the front power panel. As it was under warranty I dint incur any cost. Otherwise its 450/- for service change and 150/- for the panel

- - - Updated - - -

mods please close this thread as the issue is resolved.

150 for the panel? Is that a typo? Hard to believe that it's that cheap in this day & age.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to respond. Cheers!

its hardly 1 finger long panel.. I am talking about the button (in my case for samsung P2350, the touch panel) panel that gives you the settings and power functionality. :) not the entire framework :)

Back