Mini PC

joed14

Recruit
Hi

I am trying to build a mini pc(mini itx) to record audio on the go.would like to use it record audio from a mixer so audio line in is a must.moreover i would be hooking it with my TV to watch HD movies.Would anyone suggest me with a preferable combination.my budget stands at 20k.

Thanks

• Q: What is your budget?
    • 20K-25k
  • Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • None
  • Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • None
  • Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement
    • A system capable of playing all types of HD movies
    • Require good sound card with audio line in.
    • Mini itx cabinet
  • Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • no
  • Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Kochi
    • Open to online purchase
  • Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  • Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • HD Movies
    • Sound recording
    • Should be compact, would be travelling a lot.
  • Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • nope
  • Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Nope
  • Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

• Monitor not required
  • Q: Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  • Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Linux

Intel Pentium G620 ~3500/- OR Intel Core i3 2100 ~6200/-

ASUS P8H61M-LX ~3500/-

Corsair ValueRAM 4GB x2 ~2400/-

For your audio needs, contact them please #PristineNote --> http://www.techenclave.com/topic/489680-asus-xonar-sound-cards-dgdx-and-stx/

Samsung / LG OEM drive ~1000/-

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB ~4000/- [OR buy a second hand piece from TE Classifieds section to save here, hard-drive prices have escalated due to floods in Thailand last year]

Corsair CX V2 430W ~2400/-

Silverstone SUGO[font=Helvetica, Arial, FreeSans, sans-serif][/font][font=Helvetica, Arial, FreeSans, sans-serif][/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, FreeSans, sans-serif]
* I am not very well informed about speakers, so you can purchase them at your discretion.
[/font]

Dell IN2030M ~6200/-

APC BR600VA-IN ~1900/-

Hope tis helps, Cheers!!

Thanks a lot.

could you also tell would travelling a lot with this create problems for the hardisk??

or would it require an ssd.?

#joed14 SSD's are really expensive, 80GB ~7500/- and 120GB versions ~11500/-.

If possible, while travelling remove the hard-drive from the system and keep it in a cushioned zone where it will not be subject to heavy shocks.

Hope this answers your query, Cheers!!

@@ joed14: Lemme guess you want a mini pc for HTPC purpose?? I mean the smaller it gets the better. easy to move around small footprint..right???

Firstly i`ll ask you to consider the AMD Llano series based APUs...Without a dedicated gfx card, that baby is meant for crunching HD muvees in a small package with ample support for various codecs
<

Even better if you can get urself a mini-itx mobo.If not stick with m-atx.

Regarding the case, the SUGO is not a true mini-itx/SFF PC case. What it looses in height is matched by increase in width.Remember this case can also accept full length ATX boards amd can aslo fit in a long GFX card. Plus if you were to add the weight of the corsair psu...i am not sure how mobile this thing will be...

There are some others from Silverstone, thermaltake but pricing is way over the top
<

I could have reccomended CM elite 100 case but it has a lot of limitations wrt to HDD and ODD.

Maybe other members can fill you in with better choices

THE CX430 is an overkill for a HTPC and see if you can get branded psu`s of lesser wattage. This however keeping in mind that this psu wont be doing duty for another machine with higher load in the coming days.Most htpc cases/mini-itx cases comes with flex/TFX type of PSU which asre slimmer in shape and have lower wattage in the 150-250W range, which is enuff for a HTPC

Infact you may even look at local mini-itx cases from i-ball and the likes. With some decent fans for air circulation, you should see acceptable thermal conditions inside your case, given that a htpc isnt on high load for the max part of its operating time.

In-case you are hell bent on a intel solution, pair it up with a low profile , cheap gfx card that supports hd and other video features.

@@ joed14: Lemme guess you want a mini pc for HTPC purpose?? I mean the smaller it gets the better. easy to move around small footprint..right???

In-case you are hell bent on a intel solution, pair it up with a low profile , cheap gfx card that supports hd and other video features.

Sire, OP's requirement is --

• Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • HD Movies
    • Sound recording
    • Should be compact, would be travelling a lot.

Now apart from that I do agree he can look at smaller cases but not any weaker SMPS, cause he lives in a slightly backwater area in-case his SMPS takes a toss he is out of options.

Also my Intel suggest hasn't mentioned any discrete graphics card as OP will use Linux, don't want drivers causing issues, so Intel HD 2000 powers the way.

Cheers!!

Sire, OP's requirement is --

Now apart from that I do agree he can look at smaller cases but not any weaker SMPS, cause he lives in a slightly backwater area in-case his SMPS takes a toss he is out of options.

Also my Intel suggest hasn't mentioned any discrete graphics card as OP will use Linux, don't want drivers causing issues, so Intel HD 2000 powers the way.

Cheers!!

Well most cpu's these days are very efficient on the power/thermal front. Plus if he is going a for a mini case, his options of adding extra drives,fan, etc,etc or even a full height gfx card are extremely limited.This warrants that the system will need a very low power solution. Plus , most mini-itx/SFF cases seldom allow a full blown ATX PSU. Hence the reccomendation
<

But then does it mean that CX 430 shall never figure in a slim type chassis? Quite the contrary.

Coz personally i am running my HTPC based on a slim chinese chasis
<
which allows mounting of a regular size ATX PSU. I even successfully fitted my GS600 and it did fit.

In this regard, maybe the OP can look forward to the CM elite 360/361 as its a really compact system which has space for a regular psu..But be warned that the psu extension cable inside the seemed quite thin(maybe CM assumed that this case isn't going to sport heavy load hardware as was assumed in my chinese chassis).
See f he lives in a backwater area , he will still face an issue in rma if his corsair conks off...corsairs have known for their build quality but doesn't warrant a 100% guarantee of no failure.

Regarding Linux, i was aware that both AMD and Nvidia offer mature drivers. But regardless of platform, sheer hardware difference will prevail when it comes to HD movies/other video formats/support for codecs.

But then if all fails, we have the core avc to fall back upon, although it would result in higher cpu usage...the kind of thing we would want to avoid in a htpc

Back