Linux Mandriva to be sold !

Dark Star

ex-Mod
MLO Has long hesitated to publish the story, waiting for more confirmations.

Since 2008, the financial position of Mandriva is difficult. Since 2008, the position of financier Mandriva Is Difficult. This is actually in 2010 that the situation worsens. This Is That Actually in 2010 the situation worsens. Now the situation is critical of the publisher. Now IS the critical situation of the publisher. It is now up for sale. Now It Is for sale. Two companies are actively discussing with Mandriva, is the company's British and French LightApp Linagora. Two companies are Actively Discussing with Mandriva, Is The company's British and French LightApp Linagora.

This news follows an extract published on Boursorama the minutes of the Board in March: This year Follows news extract Published on Boursorama the minutes of the Board of March:

Quote: Quote:
The cash position will resolve remaining net salaries at the end of the month, and expenses of consultants and the "funding" Monthly Brazilian subsidiary. The cash position net Will resolve = remaining employees at the end of the month, and dépenses of consultants and the "funding" Monthly Brazilian Subsidiary. (...) The transitional situation currently facing Mandriva led to consider setting up a system to maintain the level of involvement of "key men" of Mandriva so that the current negotiations that would ensure the sustainability of the group lead. (...) The situation facings transitional Mandriva Currently leads to Consider setting up a system to the level of hairpins Involvement of "key men" of Mandriva n That the current negotiations would That Ensure the sustainability of the group lead.

In other words, the resale of the company appears as the only alternative to closure. In Other Words, the Resale of the company as the only alternative Appears to closure.

The extract also indicates that the company LightApp's renewed its interest in the acquisition of Mandriva. Extract Also Indicates That the company's year of construction LightApp ITS "interest in the acquisition of Mandriva. LightApp's is a London-based company that develops business intelligence solutions hosted (or remote) online for the reuse of aging machines or cheap, or even just TV screens as thin clients from an internet connection broadband. LightApp's is a London-based company That Develops business intelligence hosted solutions (or remote) online for the reuse of aging machines cheap gold, gold event just TV screens as thin clients from year broadband internet connection.

A French actor of weight in the sector, the group is also interested Linagora: "Following our meeting with representatives Linagora the premises of E & Y on 26/02/2010, exchanges are continuing and a new appointment was made March 31, 2010. A French actor of weight in the sector, the group est aussi intéressée Linagora: "Following meeting with Representatives o Linagora the Premises of E & Y on 26/02/2010, Continuing and Exchanges are a new appointment was Made March 31, 2010. "Linagora confirms also have begun negotiations with Mandriva." Linagora Also Confirms Negotiations Have Begun with Mandriva. Group CEO, Alexander Zapolsky, also indicated that discussions are underway to study the acquisition of part of the assets of the company. Group CEO Alexander Zapolsky, Also Indicated That Discussions are Underway to study the acquisition of part of the assets of the company

Source : Google Translate

Sad news, mandrake was one of the first distros i played it when it came out, for some reason it seemed nicer than RH or SUse. The name itslef did evoke nice memories spent reading those indrajal comics.

Linux is technically superior OS , but still sad to see it isn't commercial success. None of the desktop distro are doing good.

Perhaps, this strategy of Completely Free product is not such a good idea(commercially). Like take the case of Redhat. It seem to be doing well because its actually selling Linux.

Seeing Sale of Mandriva, same can happen to Ubuntu as well Which would be bad. Honestly, I doubt if Ubuntu will ever be self sustainable project

Gaurish said:
Like take the case of Redhat. It seem to be doing well because its actually selling Linux.
Selling linux or service contracts ? just like IBM,

The personal user segment is much smaller in comparison.

So what we're seeing here is excess in the market getting culled and a consolidation of sorts happening.

Natural progression of events.

Mandrake was the reason I even bothered a second look at Linux. I was initially on RH, and it was a real pain for a noob.

@blr_p

they bundle linux + support, which means you can't get rhel without paying for support. Cost $349USD for rhel 5, iirc

Ubuntu gives its flagship product for free and hopes companies will come for support instead of going for third parties or hiring in house staff. Pretty bad business model unless you are doing charity. No wonder even after so years many cannocial is still in red.

About market sizd, its big enough that every that find their candy.

Ok, the same applies to Ubuntu as well then.

How long can they survive as a charity a you put it.

The reason I said this is just the usual consolidation is these were not issues like this in the past for these vendors.

blr_p said:
Ok, the same applies to Ubuntu as well then.

How long can they survive as a charity a you put it.

The reason I said this is just the usual consolidation is these were not issues like this in the past for these vendors.

I hope they don't do that,
Linus Torvalds concept will get defeated !! :p
but the ubuntu music store I fear ubuntu isn't far behind!
fingers crossed...

The problem with Mandriva is that people tend to prefer ubuntu for Desktop and RedHat for Servers. Also, RedHat was well set in corportate segment long before and hence they are doing really well with stable releases and top notch services/support.

I personally never really cared to try Mandriva. It's just among the pack of distros that people never tend to look at.

On the long run, Redhat, Ubuntu, Suse will control the linux market. Rest will be history.

Yondaime said:
Linus Torvalds concept will get defeated !! :p

What do you mean by Linus Torvalds concept? :p

Linux Kernel originated as a college hobby project. When Linus realized that he had ended up making a OS kernel of sorts, he decided to release it to the pubic and he did so under a custom license terms of his own which still allowed Linus to get royalties if any one wants to use it for commercial purposes, but it was free for non commercial /experimental use. Using the kernel required other components that were not part of the Kernel and people had to get those separately. It was a while later that he decided to release the Linux kernel under the GNU license. Linus never had any vision for the long run When he developed the Kernel.

In any case, its not really surprising if Linux distributors go commercial with some or all of their offerings. As I said many times in other similar threads, I think Linux going commercial is a good thing for its own sake. Linux can only go so far with voluntary developers and voluntary donations/investments. Many Linux distributors currently offer commercial service/support plans, but its not going to help them if enterprises using Linux hire expert help in house instead of relying on the people releasing the distributions. So we will soon see more and more Linux distributions going commercial.

Back