Mandriva 2009.0 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Open Source and Linux' started by Dark Star, Jul 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Star

Dark Star Super Moderator Staff Member

^^ Its not pidgin spam its virus in other user , same thing happened with Zhpos mail ID. so he stopped using MSN.. You are using Gnome or KDE ? post the whole SS of the HDD thing ..

Webcam woking out of the box isn't it ? Have you uploaded your system specs @ Mandriva HCL - Linux Enabled Hardware
  2. Keane 16

Keane 16 Upgraded User

Doesn't happen when I use pidgin on windows though. :|

KDE. Didn't I just post it? :S Or do you want something else?

Don't know ... don't use the webcam at all.
  3. Dark Star

^^WHy don't you use Kopete that comes pre-installed in KDE 4 . Its way better than Pidgin ;)
  4. viralbug

viralbug Privileged Users

i find pidgin better than kopete.
  5. Dark Star

6. viralbug

^ nice review there.

one question i wanted to ask. why is the sound volume so low compared to windows on linux? i found this problem on 2-3 editions of ubuntu and mandriva as well. all volume levels are turned to max even my speakers are max. music is fine, but for movies even after setting everything to max, i cant hear some of things said.
  7. Keane 16

Keane 16 Upgraded User

Try clicking on the Audio button in the tray, then click on Mixer, and make sure "Front" is maximum.
  8. Keane 16

Keane 16 Upgraded User

Dark Star, I figured that my External hard drive is in read only mode because I'm not "root". When I access it as "root" in terminal, it works fine.
  9. Dark Star

^^Changes the permission as show in SS :)
  10. Keane 16

Keane 16 Upgraded User

Tried that, let me give it another shot.

Did su -dolphin once; now it works fine.

As for LinuxDC++, i'm trying to install this: Linux DC++
  11. Keane 16

Keane 16 Upgraded User

Post edited; bump.
  12. Dark Star

^^ Add PLF Repository . Easy Urpmi

and then search . Its available there !~ :)
  13. Keane 16

Keane 16 Upgraded User

That worked! One final thing I need to install:

Dtella Labs
  14. Dark Star

You have to compile it.. Download it and read the readme and install for installation help.
  15. Dark Star

Finally got stable Kernel update from Mandriva , current version is 2.6.27.4
  16. Keane 16

Keane 16 Upgraded User

If I try to run a 1080p video on Vista, it's insanely choppy. On Mandriva, I can run the same 1080p video smoothly, alongwith another video(TV show), DC++(which also would slow down Vista if it were the only thing running), Pidgin, installing stuff and about 20 windows of Firefox.

It's a pain in the ass to install stuff and there are a few bugs, and I'm giving up playing Fifa and PES, but it's worth it.

PS: I'm not an MS hater; infact quite the opposite. Hope Windows 7 kicks butt!

:D
  17. viralbug

^ your codecs on vista could be the problem.
  18. Dark Star

I cannot even run HD vid on XP everything goes black while on Linux any I can play without any issues !
  19. viralbug

i use klm mega codec pack with media player classic on vista. have yet to face any problem playing any type of file. works just great.

some say mega code pack is bloated. but i had tried the standard pack and faced a problem with a couple of my files. so instantly removed and installed mega pack. once installed no need to do anything. :p
  20. Ho0ligaN

Ho0ligaN Upgraded User

I have an issue with running mysql on mandriva 2009, I get the following error

ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket 'var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

I tried googling and found out that, disabling selinux is a solution.. but there aint not /etc/sysconfig/selinux file, I couldnt find it.. tried setting the permission of va/lib/mysql to 755 as another reply suggested.. no help.. what to dos?