Mac like font rendering on Windows7 - gdipp

g2

Disciple
Hi everyone, stumbled onto this en route doing usual things like searching visual styles, modified dll's etc. for windows7.

The text looks remarkable better than the normal windows 7 cleartype method. GDIPP uses the freetype text renderer to display fonts. I guess some Linux distros use it.

Here's the link for 32 & 64-bit version of the software

gdipp - Project Hosting on Google Code

The current project is an extension of the gdi++ project which used to work on windows xp, but was only 32 bit. gdipp was started to implement freetype for 64bit windows.

There is also an ezgdi project but it wasnt as good as gdipp.

Check the image for the text effects.

gdipp screenshot

^ edges look blurry to me on dvi connection. comparing that screenshot to the windows cleartype settings, the windows one look crisper.

see the comparison screenshot i took.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

LHS is windows, RHS is the screenshot provided in post#1. comparison screen was taken on 100% res of saved image.

@6pack that is the point, to make text look "blurry". Agreed not everyone likes the MAC look. I like it, makes text darker and more readable.

I had been searching for something like this for win7, before I was using gdi++ with XP. BTW from your screenshot, the cleartype one does not look good.

Unless you are doing design work that needs to be printed out at a high DPI, I don't see why you would want Mac's font rendering on your PC. Windows 7's cleartype looks so much sharper and better on an LCD monitor.

Back