Looking for new Smartphone (Android)

Lord Nemesis

Overlord
Skilled
As the title suggests its mobile phone upgrade time and I am looking for a new smartphone. Phone needs be an android and Memory card slot is a mandatory requirement.

Current options are

1. Samsung Galaxy Note
2. Samsung Galaxy S3

I don't like spending more than 30k on my phones if I can help it. May spend up to 35k if what I am getting is worth it. So for instance if Galaxy S3 turns out to be more than 35k, I won't be buying it.
Looking for other alternatives as well (only Android).

The street price will be lower, but should be more than 35k. We can't say for sure till it is launched this week or next week. The Galaxy S2 is prices around the 25k mark, making it a decent deal, especially since it is now shipping with ICS upgrade.

Huawei Ascend D Quad/XL launches on June 9 with a special UI (emotion?) on top of ICS. Take a look at that as well. And the LG P960 also going to launch in that time frame.

if you are planning to take the note,i would recommend you to see if it fits your requirements.ask yourself the following question -
- how much one hand operation do you do with your smartphone? if the answer is high,then i would recommend you to go with the htc one x.it is a solid phone and should cover your requirements.i am also positive that you can find one under 35 k easily.
if however you are comfortable with the note's size,then there is nothing like it for browsing on the go.

another option i would say is if you are not keen on spending over 30 k for your smartphone,then i believe a galaxy nexus would be a great handset for you.you can get it for 23 odd k in a few places.

^^ Note is indeed one big phone. I had some hands on with it and while its a big phone, surprisingly its not way too uncomfortable to use either and I am more concerned about its pocket-ability.

HTX One X is also one of the options I considered, but I found that it does not have storage expandability and hence not too inclined towards it at the moment. 32GB of fixed storage is peanuts.

How soon do you need to buy this? Lots of new nexus devices will be out by year end. Google I/O, june end will give a better idea of where android is heading. Maybe you can plan your purchase after that?

The Ultimate Google I/O 2012 Preview

Technically, I needed to buy this last weekend. :ashamed: My moms Phone is dead and I was hoping to give her my Galaxy S and get a new phone myself (since I already had plans of getting one) instead of buying two different phones. So was going to finalize and get the phone over this weekend. I don't see any of the new phones from Google hitting the Indian market within the next couple of months.

@Lord Nemesis - The Galaxy Nexus wont be released in India according to a Samsung press release. So the only option to get the GNexus is from some friend who will travel here from abroad or go with the SNS route.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lord Nemesis - The Galaxy Nexus wont be released in India according to a Samsung press release. So the only option to get the GNexus is from some friend who will travel here from abroad or go with the SNS route.

Nexus is available on Ebay at 25-26K with 1 year seller warranty so routing through SNS is meaningless. However if you can get a friend to bring it for you from US you might get a better price.

I am seriously considering buying the Nexus too, now that Samsung has decided to price the S3 at 43K(lower than that on street but still over the 35K mark). The main issue against the Nexus being the lack of microSD slot, same thing with HTC 1X and 1S.

Once you get a Note, you will most probably not use anything smaller or bigger, especially if you use your phone for web activities significantly. :)
Coz it's not (small like) a phone, not (big like) a tablet- it's a Note (perfect for most male hands). :p

4-5 of my best/geek/techie friends got one when it was launched here. They put it their pockets, be it front or back. They held it, maybe even smelt it. And concluded it's fine for day-to-day use.
I wanted one then. Got it couple of weeks back. Now i somewhat regret having wasted so many months before getting one.

And I have been a no-Samsung person due to build/feel/quality. Many many years back i had decided i won't get any Samsung phone for their build quality. The Galaxy S seemed OKish to me. The SII didn't feel even that ok.
The note on the other hand feels pretty ok for a 30K device.

Back