Linux Linux Administration - V sem Subject !!!!!!!

princeoo7

On a Journey called Life :P
Skilled
As the Title Says it :)
I am in my T.Y now !
Linux Administration is one of the subject and for that i what to start preparing and so want to setup my pc ready for it.
I all ready have installed Ubuntu 12.4 desktop 64bit on my pc.
But i find it a lot buggy !!!!!!
i did installed many updates and in some were ,where the gpu drivers update took the whole system back to command line mode and i failed to do anything so reinstalled the O.S.

now that all was a read headache on and 2g modem :arghh:

so from a subject prospective what is the best Linux O.S. i should install or should i keep ubuntu 12.4 itself ???

for reference of subject i have bought " Red Hat Linux networking & System Administration - 3rd edition by Terry Colling & Kurt Wall ".

I hope I was able to explain my query about the subject as i am alot confused about what to go ahead with.

Thank you for reading my post :happy:

have a nice day / night ahead :cool:

For server versions of Linux, your best bets are Centos http://www.centos.org which is basically Red Hat Enterprise Linux minus the branding or Debian http://www.debian.org (get the Stable version, not the Testing version). The commands referenced in the book you bought for RHEL Administration are guaranteed to work on Centos and perhaps Fedora but many will not be present in Debian, Ubuntu or other Linuxes which will have their own variants which will ultimately do the same thing.

Centos, Debian will not have the latest and greatest hardware driver support, nor will they have the latest testing builds of various software, but are rock solid server Linux distro's. Fedora tends to get the latest testing builds of software, drivers etc. which will give you more features but at the cost of some instability.

I would suggest centos, oel and of course, solaris.
get a hang of procfs and sysfs

how is backtrack r5 ???
one of my online friend is using r3......

by the way i downloaded Fedora 18 :)
lets see what else can i do :D

and will try centOS !!!!!!

I would recommend RedHat Linux or use the same o/s as in class/college,try installed in Virtual-box or in VMware,if something goes wrong it's easy to reinstall.
Also the theory part is mainly based on practicals(system config files,syntax).
AFAIK this years 60-40 pattern batch uses RHEL 6.0 on University practicals.

I would recommend RedHat Linux or use the same o/s as in class/college,try installed in Virtual-box or in VMware,if something goes wrong it's easy to reinstall.
Also the theory part is mainly based on practicals(system config files,syntax).
AFAIK this years 60-40 pattern batch uses RHEL 6.0 on University practicals.

So centOS would come handy na ?????
And in books its given fedora :-/
I meant in book.

Use Fedora/Red Hat, if you're in Engineering then your teachers might be using Fedora and will use more Fedora when you reach BE.

And install everything on VM-Ware as it's a pretty popular software thus adding 1 more software to your skill-set.

Cheers.

P.S. - improve your grammar.

cleared it last year. I would suggest you to work with Cent OS rather than Ubuntu.

The Terry Colling book does not explain concepts in good details either. Do refer to Red Hat Documentation.

Thanks for the link bro !

by the way can u tell your experience with the Linux Administration subject in finals ???

I am only confused with how much to write for one question :confused:

Hi

Only thing to remember is : Only Write what you find in the Reference book.

Even if you write everything you find in Red Hat Documentation, still those University people ain't gonna give you marks.

This is the reality and bitter truth.

We have 5 marks questions, so stick with small answers, make points and leave line between them.

Back