Budget 0-20k Laptop/Netbook for dad

Hi guys,

The usage is going to be Online Trading using an internet dongle. He ight also watch a rare movie and probably music. Other than spider solitaire, he wont be gaming :)

No brand preferance but would like something that has good customer service.

Maximum budget is about 20K to 22K.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

My dad had a laptop and when replacement time came, I decided that his mobile usage was taken care by an ipad, and got him a desktop instead.

Does he 'need' a laptop?

My dad had a laptop and when replacement time came, I decided that his mobile usage was taken care by an ipad, and got him a desktop instead.

Does he 'need' a laptop?

Boss his requirement states his dad wants to do online trading and use a dongle for data connection. So he definitely needs something with a proper KB and mouse and also something with USB port.

I would suggest the Lenovo G580.
Lenovo Essential G580 (59-352561) Laptop (Celeron Dual Core/ 2GB/ 320GB/ DOS) - Lenovo: Flipkart.com ~ 21.9k

It has a pretty decent keyboard and a major brand too with service centers across India.

^^'Boss' please re read. I suggested a desktop. Last I saw, desktops had KB, mice and USB.

- - - Updated - - -

I got a fantastic desktop for what I would have paid for an entry level laptop.

- - - Updated - - -

Incidentally, I had posted an identical post in Macrumours, asking whether 2gb RAM on an Air would be OK for his requirements and the good guys there gave me the advise of looking for a desktop if mobility was not needed. Got a Mac Mini for 30K, and upgraded RAM from Flipkart for cheap [2gb was NOT enough].

^^'Boss' please re read. I suggested a desktop. Last I saw, desktops had KB, mice and USB.

- - - Updated - - -

I got a fantastic desktop for what I would have paid for an entry level laptop.

- - - Updated - - -

Incidentally, I had posted an identical post in Macrumours, asking whether 2gb RAM on an Air would be OK for his requirements and the good guys there gave me the advise of looking for a desktop if mobility was not needed. Got a Mac Mini for 30K, and upgraded RAM from Flipkart for cheap [2gb was NOT enough].

Apologies. My bad.
Anyhow laptops are better than desktops these days as a basic laptop is enough for most of the needs and does give you longer battery backup too. Too much power cut in most states except the metros.

Yes, but when laptops have issues, out of warranty, they are pretty expensive to fix I think. Just threw that out there, in case the OP had not considered it, like I had not considered it till someone suggested it.

deepakvrao, he does have a desktop. But since he is travelling, he wants a laptop as well. And most online trading portals work only with IE and his portal falls into that category.
DarkAngel and GrimReaper, they both look amazing, although I am leaning towards the Acer bcs of the weight and better features. But among Celeron Dual core and APU Dual core, which one performs better? And do either of those companies offer extended warranty?

Oh and all three of you, THANK YOU for taking the time to reply!!

Buy fijitsu lh532 from flipkart
Pdc 2gb ddr3 500gb hdd intel hm76 3 usb 3.0 and 1 usb 2.0 price 19.4k
I bought this for working while i imported spares for my 2 year old i7 laptop i am surprised by this pc performance and will not be importing anything
This pc outperforms my old gen 1 i7 maybe not crunching numbers but day to day use it is a treat
Boot under 10 sec with corsair force 3 and 8 gb ram donated courtesy of my old asus i7

deepakvrao, he does have a desktop. But since he is travelling, he wants a laptop as well. And most online trading portals work only with IE and his portal falls into that category.
DarkAngel and GrimReaper, they both look amazing, although I am leaning towards the Acer bcs of the weight and better features. But among Celeron Dual core and APU Dual core, which one performs better? And do either of those companies offer extended warranty?

Oh and all three of you, THANK YOU for taking the time to reply!!

Almost all companies offer extended warranty. That shouldn't be an issue.
The celeron dual core is much more powerful than the brazos AMD APU. But then the Acer gives him ultra portability. So they are really in different leagues. You cant really compare them.
If you want small foot print and very light weight laptop then the Acer. If a regular laptop will do fine then the Lenovo.

Buy fijitsu lh532 from flipkart
Pdc 2gb ddr3 500gb hdd intel hm76 3 usb 3.0 and 1 usb 2.0 price 19.4k
I bought this for working while i imported spares for my 2 year old i7 laptop i am surprised by this pc performance and will not be importing anything
This pc outperforms my old gen 1 i7 maybe not crunching numbers but day to day use it is a treat
Boot under 10 sec with corsair force 3 and 8 gb ram donated courtesy of my old asus i7

can u review the fujitsu laptop. how is the performance + brand. is it worth money spent. i am planning to buy this

Fujitsu Lifebook AH532 Laptop (2nd Gen Ci3/ 4GB/ 500GB/ No OS) - Fujitsu: Flipkart.com

Back