Is the Vodafone Rs. 99 unlimited GPRS plan worth it?

boogeyman

Adept
Hi Guys,

I'm just looking for a plan to use during my commute (surfing, emails, maps, chat) and also a kinda backup connection in case my home net goes down so that I can connect my phone to my comp and check mails/surf online and use the mobile net.

I'm currently on the pay as you go GPRS plan. I recently found out regarding this unlimited GPRS plan for 99 bucks a month and on finding out from the CC, only surfing is allowed. No downloading or video streaming. Is anyone using this plan and would you recommend it?

Do they make any false charges in the name of "downloading" like some other operators (*ahem* Failtel *ahem*)? Also, there is a Rs. 100 3G plan which allows 100 MB free. Which one would be better? TIA

How is downloading and Video Streaming not included in that plan ?

There is a 98 plan for 4GB . That should be enough !

boogeyman said:
Hi Guys,

I'm just looking for a plan to use during my commute (surfing, emails, maps, chat) and also a kinda backup connection in case my home net goes down so that I can connect my phone to my comp and check mails/surf online and use the mobile net.

I'm currently on the pay as you go GPRS plan. I recently found out regarding this unlimited GPRS plan for 99 bucks a month and on finding out from the CC, only surfing is allowed. No downloading or video streaming. Is anyone using this plan and would you recommend it?

Do they make any false charges in the name of "downloading" like some other operators (*ahem* Failtel *ahem*)? Also, there is a Rs. 100 3G plan which allows 100 MB free. Which one would be better? TIA
When did Failtel do that?

According to me Failtel has the best Net pack as they give the best speed in my city. All the others are s***.

hotshot05 said:
When did Failtel do that?

According to me Failtel has the best Net pack as they give the best speed in my city. All the others are s***.
http://www.techenclave.com/mobile-phones/airtel-postpaid-incorrect-billing-190335.html

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

xtremevicky said:
Airtel 98 2Gb is good for me !
Thanks. Is it available in Mumbai? Also, I'm on postpaid.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

mjumrani said:
Yup it is.
Thanks. Can you tell me what your usage is like and if it exceeds the 99 buck limit?

malhotraraul said:
Docomo 2.5GIG @ R.65/- Validity 30 Days
I know that other providers are better. There's a Uninor plan for 99 bucks which has 6 GB but coz of my company's corporate plan, I have to go with stupid Vodafone only :mad:

I'm using the Vodafone Rs 98 2GB data plan and I have data enabled all the time, checking mails etc. Browsing and small downloads as well. I use about 300-400 MB monthly.

IMO its definitely worth it, Vodafone charges about 10ps / 10 KB on PAYG which is Rs 10 per MB, so it is always a good to have a plan like this rather than going for PAYG.

varkey said:
I'm using the Vodafone Rs 98 2GB data plan and I have data enabled all the time, checking mails etc. Browsing and small downloads as well. I use about 300-400 MB monthly.

IMO its definitely worth it, Vodafone charges about 10ps / 10 KB on PAYG which is Rs 10 per MB, so it is always a good to have a plan like this rather than going for PAYG.
Can you post more details of this plan? Is it 3G or 2G? And is it available in Mumbai?

^ Its 2G ofcourse.

Rs.98 Bonus Card

Enjoy 2GB Free Internet usage on your Mobile or PC. Post Free Usage charges 10p/10kb on Vodafone Live & 10p/10kb on Vodafone Mobile Connect.

Not sure about Mumbai.

That very scheme is 111 in Vodafone, Gujarat. Although the 2GB is too much imo. Even with heavy surfing, chat and gmaps, I could barely finish off 600mb off my 2GB limit.

@OP
DO not believe those dumb CC when they say "surfing is free" and "downloading is charged". They know nothing about all this. What they actually mean is if you download something from "vodafone mobile portal" then it gets charged like a wallpaper can cost 15 rupees etc etc. But if you go to santabanta.com and download a wallpaper then it is consumed from your volume of data. So at the end even if you download couple of 500 MB movies on your 2G vodafone connection, it will be consumed from your volume of data available. Hope i am clear.
Gist is you pay 99 rupees a month and get 2G (not sure if it is 2 or 4GB) and use that to download, surf, check email, buffer youtube videos , whatever, it gets deducted from this 2GB and lest you pass that limit of 2GB before your month ends, then you are charged at their normal pay as you go rates.
I have heard that vodafone 2G also offers decent speeds so dont get that ridiculous kidney selling plan of 100 rupees / 100 MB.

Are these plans (98,111,89) Vodafone Mobile Connect plans? Also it seems they're all prepaid. The cheapest thing available on postpaid is Rs. 299 for 2GB.

^^They are all VMC only. No idea about postpaid but it would be ridiculous to pay 299 for the same thing if you are getting in 99. I understand that you are on corporate postpaid connection and need something within that. I too had the same issues 2 years back when airtel's GPRS was like 5/10/15 rupees per day and that was not available on postpaid. I converted my card to prepaid since then as postpaid benefits are useless to me. I hardly consume 150 rupees or so per month in phone bills (inclusive of 98 rupees GPRS plan)

Whats better about it ?? Also i think they dont have it unlimited anymore. On top of that aircel internet is not that good. Moreover he needs on his existing corporate vodafone SIM.

These are the data plans available for Vodafone postpaid customers in Bangalore...got this info when i wrote to them regarding change in plan...

The plan has been given below kindly refer and revert to us with the plan name so that we can check and do the needful.

1) VMC 199: monthly rental is 199 no free data usage and will be charged 5ps/10kb.

2) VMC 250: monthly rental is 250, 100MB free data usage, after free usage will be charged 5ps/10kb.

3) VMC 399: monthly rental is 399, Unlimited Browsing free.

4) VMC 149: monthly rental is 149, 3GB FREE data usage, after free usage will be charged 10ps/10kb.

5) VMC 199: monthly rental is 199, 4GB FREE data usage, after free usage will be charged 10ps/10kb.

6) VMC 249: monthly rental is 249, 5GB FREE data usage, after free usage will be charged 10ps/10kb.

7) VMC 99: monthly rental is 99, 2GB FREE data usage, after free usage will be charged 10ps/10kb.

Vodafone Live( VL):

1) VL @ zero rental where there is no monthly rental and will be charge 10ps/10kb on usage.

2) VL@99: monthly rental is 99, Unlimited Browsing free.

In case you need further assistance, do call or email us. We'll do our best to help you.

Back