Is anyone getting the Amazon Kindle 8.9?? Need a tablet for PDF's

Hacker

Skilled
I need a tablet exclusively for PDF reading and I believe the Kindle 8.9 will be perfect for me.

Your thoughts??

Anyone else use their tablets specially for reading, if yes, which tablet do you have?

In my opinion 4:3 aspect ratio is a better option for pdfs than 16:9/10. ipad 3 with high ppi(excellent fonts) and 4:3 aspect ratio will be perfect. If you need to save money then kindle fire hd 8.9 too will be fine with good enough ppi, just not great. 7" is definitely a no go. Do consider nook hd+ too, as it's more wider than fire with 15:10 aspect ratio.

I think you can look at nexus 10. It would be the best suited for magazines etc since it has a much higher ppi than all the other devices mentioned here.
On paper, the Nexus 10's display puts the iPad's to shame. The new Google device may have the best screen we have ever seen on a tablet.

The Nexus 10's display is a little bit bigger than 10 inches, has a resolution of 2,560 by 1,600 pixels and a 300-pixels-per-inch density.

The fourth generation iPad, which launches this Friday, has a 9.7-inch display with a 2,048 by 1,536 pixel display and a 264 PPI.
http://www.latimes.com/business/tec...e-nexus-10-apple-ipad-20121029,0,980562.story

Thanks guys, I will go to an apple store with couple of pdfs and check them out, not sure if we get 4th gen ipad in India.

Do note that Kindle fire does not have any custom ROM's as yet, and you will be stuck with the horrible restrictive Amazon UI for the time being.

Yup, even I'd like to mention that not go for 7" for serious PDF reading. I have Nook Color & I learnt this lesson hard way...

Depends on a lot of factors

How long you read?
A lot: Go for 7 inchers, Nexus 7 or Blackberry playbook or Kindle Fire HD
Very Little: Go for an iPad 2 to save money or an iPad 3/4 if you have the cash to splurge

Where do you read them?
Outdoors? eInk is the only option and their PDF support just sucks
Indoors? Decide on the reading duration and run with it.

Low Price

I would suggest a second hand BB Playbook just bcs its cheap, robust, branded and has a very good screen

But yes a 7 inch screen might not be the best size for reading picture rich PDFs.

I got the Ipad 4, no regrets. PDFs specially charts and graphs look great on it. Thanks for your suggestions.

I already have kindle 3 ebook reader, which I love but reading PDFs is too painful.

Yup, even I'd like to mention that not go for 7" for serious PDF reading. I have Nook Color & I learnt this lesson hard way...
Try an app called mantano. The free version has reflow & crop.

9.7 or 10.1 is ideal for reading A4 size pdfs. 9.7 is actually a 5% larger screen than 10.1 so you can read in portrait orientation with it.

10.1 screen in landscape gives a 8.5 inch page width so A4 can be read without any modification. If you do not read A4 size pdfs then a smaller size screen will suffice. I had no choice but to get 10.1 as 90% of PDF's i read are A4 size.

If you need to remove margins and have smaller screens a more permanent cropping solution is to use a utility called k2pdfopt. Its free and very well made.

Thing with pdf's is it depends on the file size i find single core tablets tend to struggle, scroll and then wait for it to render etc.

Dual core is better. You need a minimum of 1GB RAM.

- - - Updated - - -

Outdoors? eInk is the only option and their PDF support just sucks.
If you stick to kindles & nooks yes.

But there are other options like Onxy 9.7 M92, goes under the name Icarus excel in the US. double the price and can handle large pdfs (10-20MB) without issue. No touch screen though so i'm holding off until they get that.

Back