Internet sharing in LAN

The two systems connected in LAN have win2k pro as OS. System A has a broadband connection and a cable modem along with it. The second system B is connected to A through a local area connection. To enable internet in both systems, i did the follo.

1. enabled internet sharing in the properties of broadband connection. It gave a notice tat system is set to a particular ip 192.168.0.1

2. kept the client's(system B) ip to obtain automatically as given in the notice..

Still the system B is not getting internet..:huh: wat could be wrong!

Again

System one IP Address

Internet connection shareing to be enabled
System two Ip Address
Default gateway

Should work now...

wat switch.. i told u the first system, when u enable internet sharing, is automatically set to that ip, but it also says tat second system ip shud be set automatically..

thanks tb for sharing links

I bought a router (wireless - cos I had a laptop).
Easy solution to all problems, let me tell you.
I think WinProxy (is that its name?) will do the job.

I dont know about you guys but i do it all the time at my place when i take my second PC from my office to my home... It works... I think next time i do it i will write down steps... And trust me for two pc's you dont need a router at all...

Bluediamond, are you using a crossover cable? To connect two PCs without a hub/router you'll need a crossover cable. Also check the firewall settings.

BTW, I use router as I connect upto 4 PCs sometimes, both wired and wireless. No problems setting up internet sharing. But I had no problems with ICS also.

i use such cables.. well another difference is one contains win 2k pro sp2 and other contains win 2k pro with sp4 does sp4 make a difference..i tried to install sp4 in my system too(sys A) but uninstalled as i was not gettign net..( i think so..not sure..else why wud i just have sp2! )

Are you using the dreaded 24online authentication software for your broadband connection?
If yes, plz post so that I can give you the detailed solution

Back