Internet sharing in LAN

Discussion in 'Internet Talk' started by bluediamond, Apr 22, 2005.

1. bluediamond

bluediamond Privileged Users

The two systems connected in LAN have win2k pro as OS. System A has a broadband connection and a cable modem along with it. The second system B is connected to A through a local area connection. To enable internet in both systems, i did the follo.

1. enabled internet sharing in the properties of broadband connection. It gave a notice tat system is set to a particular ip 192.168.0.1

2. kept the client's(system B) ip to obtain automatically as given in the notice..

Still the system B is not getting internet..:huh: wat could be wrong!
  2. Deus Ex Machina

Deus Ex Machina Privileged Users

Hehe! Join the group.
  3. Deus Ex Machina

4. Switch

Switch Privileged Users

Again

System one IP Address

Internet connection shareing to be enabled
    System two Ip Address
    Default gateway

Should work now...
  5. bluediamond

wat switch.. i told u the first system, when u enable internet sharing, is automatically set to that ip, but it also says tat second system ip shud be set automatically..

thanks tb for sharing links
  6. bluediamond

wow..4 threads(by TB) and still no soln. withot using proxy! :(
  7. Deus Ex Machina

And some places else...i have been suggested buying a router. :S
  8. KingKrool

KingKrool Privileged Users

I bought a router (wireless - cos I had a laptop).
    Easy solution to all problems, let me tell you.
    I think WinProxy (is that its name?) will do the job.
  9. Switch

Switch Privileged Users

I dont know about you guys but i do it all the time at my place when i take my second PC from my office to my home... It works... I think next time i do it i will write down steps... And trust me for two pc's you dont need a router at all...
  10. Count_Down

Count_Down Upgraded User

Bluediamond, are you using a crossover cable? To connect two PCs without a hub/router you'll need a crossover cable. Also check the firewall settings.

BTW, I use router as I connect upto 4 PCs sometimes, both wired and wireless. No problems setting up internet sharing. But I had no problems with ICS also.
  11. bluediamond

i use such cables.. well another difference is one contains win 2k pro sp2 and other contains win 2k pro with sp4 does sp4 make a difference..i tried to install sp4 in my system too(sys A) but uninstalled as i was not gettign net..( i think so..not sure..else why wud i just have sp2! )
  12. superczar

superczar Privileged Users

Are you using the dreaded 24online authentication software for your broadband connection?
    If yes, plz post so that I can give you the detailed solution